Topic: MUSIC INDUSTRY, what is going on?

If you read the top 10, 80% of the songs is like: 50cent ft Eminem, or Jay Z ft miss Eliott.
In fact a lot of X, ft Z.
What's the reason of all this?
You find them in every combination.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: MUSIC INDUSTRY, what is going on?

those are all my favorites

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks RUSS, but it's AMAZING to see in a top 10 50% of the songs & artists are X ft Y or
RUSSEL ft GITAARDOCPHIL.
WHAT about this phenomenon?
- Is it about $$$$$$$$$$$$, X ft Y, OR because Y's popularity has gone?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

of course it's all about money and they think if they get people listening to rap they will get what rappers rap about.

tongue:P:P:P:P

gitaardocphil wrote:

If you read the top 10, 80% of the songs is like: 50cent ft Eminem, or Jay Z ft miss Eliott.
In fact a lot of X, ft Z.
What's the reason of all this?
You find them in every combination.

Strength in numbers i suppose. The rap "artists" sense that their product is on a rapid decline and the combining efforts with their peers is an act of desperation. How many ways can one say, "look at how much money I have and I'll shoot you if you disrespect me"? Society on the whole, I feel, is wise to the unitopical, self-grandiose attitudes. I'd like to think ,as a whole ,our universe has evolved beyond the gangster attitudes and scare tactics of the majority of these "artists". Sugarhill Gang, Kurtis Blow, The Fat Boyz, MC Young; that was good stuff. These guys had multi-topical content, real musicians playing along side them, and could make fun of others and themselves without fearing a coward poppin' a cap in day butts. The rappers of today; Eminem, 50 cent, Jay Z, Ludacris, and the like are all saying the exact same thing with a slightly variated delivery. I find it unlistenable........

Give everything but up.

Please don't mention Jay-Z. I'll never forgive him for ruining most of Linkin Park's songs. sad

I just do not understand rap or the fact that other people can!

It is a sad fact that they believe that enough "F" words in a song will make it more listenable or a better song. Well I cant listen, and I turn the radio off when I hear it, I certainly would not buy a recording with bad language on it, and a rap song would have to be something special...sadly very few are.
I'm sorry, but recordings that blatantly borrow from other songs [either words drum loops or even whole sections of a standard of yesteryear is unacceptable. Rap songs do this continuously and unashamedly.
It's a sad fact that "Chordie" [so full of talented writers,] may never have a writer make it to the big time. Why? because the songs on these pages are heartfelt songs, songs that have a meaning and a story, not how much of a **** someone might be, or how they are going to get spaced out on drugs, or even glorification of gang culture and killing.

I am a John Lennon fan, but I'm so sad to say that he might have been the first to use the "F" word on record ["Working Class Hero"]...make my day and tell me he was not!

Sorry for the sermon

Phill sad

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Anyone listened to 'Stan' by Eminem?  Ooops, Eminem ft Dido!

Bad language galore but a *&!^%ng great rap song!

And I don't even like rap cool

I'm the son of rage and love

i hate rap
and as for the X ftZ situation i think its coz they cant sing good unless they sing with other peeps
they should really listen to some good music
not trying to offend anyone but thats my opinion

I like cheese:P
               And Paramore:cool:
               And my guitar:D

am just sick an tied of all this manufactured crap in the charts 2day why do people listen this rubbish? its sad very sad!!!!!!!!

I don't listen to the radio at all.Too much crapola on it.Thats why God made CD's.If I want to hear bad language and hate.....I'll go and try to talk to my ex's. LOL
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

The X featuring Y is nothing new and unrelated to the musical genre  Collaborative efforts are an effective marketing strategy that was prominent in great jazz recordings like Coltrane and Monk.  Big Bands would feature singers like Tommy Dorsey and Doris Day or duke and Ella on recordings to sell records and try to get the young singers under contract.  Sinatra changed that and who would argue with him.    How about Jeff Beck's Truth featuring Rod Stewart.   John Mayall's Bluesbreakers featuring Eric Clapton. 
Jazz was also known for promoting studios like Verve, Prestige, Blue Note, Atlantic.  Not a far cry from Def Jam. 

IN the past it helped musicians introduce new artists and expand influence and fan base.  Selling records today is harder than ever, and rap, hip-hop and pop stars are trying to survive and marketing their collorations.    Maybe the difference is that in the past it wasn't just about selling records, but collaboration had a creative motivation.  Creativity seems to be lacking in much of the music released today, especially in pop music.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

I think recording companies or the recording industry as a whole is not interested in how much potential someone has they are only interested if you are there already and what you can do for them because the days of advances on royalities is dead and buried and if you are going to succeed you have to do it all yourself record,mix,promote,design covers and web sites sell enough cd's so they cant ignore you and only then will they offer you a "deal" because they dont have anything to lose as none of there money paid for your hard work or success.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

oasis=life wrote:

am just sick an tied of all this manufactured crap in the charts 2day why do people listen this rubbish? its sad very sad!!!!!!!!

I agree, most of the stuff people listen to today sucks.
That's why I mainly listen to old stuff, even if it makes people think I'm weird.
Indie stuff is good though. And some Ska is pretty good.

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

there used to be a lot of crap back then too.  I'm sure there's some good stuff out there, but hard to find in the mainstream media. Especially in NY.  Last FM and Pandora are the only way I can hear new music without trolling the net for hours and hours.
Alot of the old was the result of advent of FM radio which created a testing ground for music.  The new stereo medium was too new to be controlled and the result was exposure to all kinds of music and genres.  People developed a sense of what they liked. It seems like today the music industry dictates what people like.  And when anything fresh comes out in music, tv or movies, hang on for the copy cats. 

btw: do all classic rock stations in the US limit themselves to the same 1000 songs? It seems every time a click into one, I am likely to hear Breathe, Life in the Fast lane, Sweet Home Alabama or Born To Run.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix