Topic: Copy and Paste To MS Word

In building my personal songbook, I copy the song/words/chords and paste into MS Word.  But, it is in a table format and I can't break it down, organize it for one page.  Is this possible to do?

By the way, thank you Chordie and I say that with sincere heart.  This site has helped me a lot in increasing my repetoire.

Cowboy Teddy, Ottawa

Re: Copy and Paste To MS Word

Hi Cowboy Teddy & welcome to the chordie forum.

Sorry you are experiencing frustrations.  I believe computers were invented to help all of us exercise our vocabularies.

Try this . . . a new feature was recently added to help paste into Word.

On the song pages off to the right (by the transpose tool) is a button labelled "chopro".
Clicking this 'chordpro' button disables chordie's formatting voodoo and allows you to copy the file in it's 'raw' form.

Once the song is "un-voodoo-fied" you should be able to copy and paste very easily into Word or a text edit utility.

Hope this helps,  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

please note that this process is flawed.  you cannot copy a song you have transposed using the chopro button.  it reverts back to the original key.  the only solution i can see is to transpose manually after the chopro transfer.

Good point, ssttsstt.
The transpose tool only changes the display of the song and does not alter the source file in any way.  However, you can always print out the song after it is transposed.

I guess I'm still not getting why some users are so anxious to put songs into Word files.  I have binders full of printed songs, but can't really see the point in having it also in a word processor file.

Although MS Word is a very versatile word processor, it is unable to 'read and format' chordpro files . . . next time I lunch with Bill Gates, I'll suggest they work on that!

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hello,

I've also tried to cut & paste to word, without much success. To answer your question, James, regarding why one would even want to do that: I try to condense songs to 1 page or 2 pages. I ended up transposing as needed, printing out without any control over page format, then cutting it up and taping the parts I want back together into 1 page.

I have absolutely NO complaints!  I'm so grateful to have a source for  music to play. Thanks Very Much!!

Sharon at the Jersey Shore

>^,,^<

6 (edited by evsynator 2008-02-13 08:42:03)

James McCormick wrote:

Good point, ssttsstt.
The transpose tool only changes the display of the song and does not alter the source file in any way.  However, you can always print out the song after it is transposed.

I guess I'm still not getting why some users are so anxious to put songs into Word files.  I have binders full of printed songs, but can't really see the point in having it also in a word processor file.

Although MS Word is a very versatile word processor, it is unable to 'read and format' chordpro files . . . next time I lunch with Bill Gates, I'll suggest they work on that!

Hi james - only in answer to the " why put into word files" . My reason is that some songs are a bit complicated with a lot of chord changes . The next few verses often do not have the chords with them which means i am continuosly looking back up to see the chords - so it can be a bit frustrating . No fault of chordy at all -  its just me not being able to learn a load of songs so its easier to re - write a few of them and add the chords . Its a fantastic site for me not just for getting chords and lyrics - but also for visiting other members websites and seeing what you are all up to and getting help when needed ..... thanks to all inolved .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

I agree that I'm usually using Word to try and condense down to a single page whenever possible.

Hi evsynator,

If you wish, you could edit the song to add the missing chords (in the original key) and save it. It is easy then to transpose to your key and print. The big advantage is that it will be there for anyone else to use and have a note at the bottom saying that you had improved the song.

Take care,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hi evsynator,

If you wish, you could edit the song to add the missing chords (in the original key) and save it. It is easy then to transpose to your key and print. The big advantage is that it will be there for anyone else to use and have a note at the bottom saying that you had improved the song.

Take care,

Roger

Hi roger - good idea . Where would i edit the song to be able to do that ? ( I bet your going to tell me we can do it in chordie ) . I will have a go at it . Thanks.

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Hi evsynator,

Yes you can do it on Chordie. The safest was is to transfer the song to your Songbook and do the editing there as you can take your time and save halfway through if you wish. When you are happy that it is right highlight and copy it, go to the bottom of the page of the original song and click on 'Correct song' you can paste your corrected version and delete the wrong one.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

thanks again roger - tried it out . nice one !