Topic: DOBRO

Is there still a place for a DOBRO?
I am not at all familiar with "resonance guitars"
WHAT I KNOW IS: There are 2 types of dobros: square neck and round neck.
The square neck seems to be used more in Bluegrass.
The round neck more in blues.
WHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT DOBRO GUITARS?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: DOBRO

i have a dobro houndog electric i used it on the song "sloppy joes" on myspace profile page the dobro has a gutsey raw sound for blues or you can play mellow by adjusting the eq on your amp or recorder it can be played without the pickup and recorded with a mic which is what i do it gives me a greater spectrum of control through my boss digital recorder.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks Russell, it is a strange design, a wooden guitar with a kind of metal on the top.
- WHEN IS THIS INSTRUMENT STILL USED?
- What about strumming?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

a dobro can be used on blues,country,folk,rock,hawaiian,any form of music the way its strummed depends on the form, you have a choice,you can put steel picks on your fingers(or plastic) and fingerpick it or use a pick and strum it.tunning is optional ie.drop d open c or tune it to an e,d,g,chord ect....

Dobros are awesome.  I love the sound that resonator puts out.  That twang.  That steel slide sound.

Four days of bluegrass is coming up next weekend in Tacoma.  I love this time of year.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

i wish i could attend the festival i was in seattle playing with a hard rock group (high voltage) some years back on a barge at the hydroplane races i think it was lake washington but im not sure people were so stoned they were falling off the barge and the generator surged and blew out all the speakers on my four fender cabinets on the trip back to shore after the gig my amps were dropped into the lake the organizers replaced all the equipment that was a hell of a day

Russell - 

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face.  Great story.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Russell_Harding wrote:

i wish i could attend the festival i was in seattle playing with a hard rock group (high voltage) some years back on a barge at the hydroplane races i think it was lake washington but im not sure people were so stoned they were falling off the barge and the generator surged and blew out all the speakers on my four fender cabinets on the trip back to shore after the gig my amps were dropped into the lake the organizers replaced all the equipment that was a hell of a day

Yup.  That sounds like the hydro races.

Lots of drunks and loud boats going fast.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome do they still have the races?i remember leaving for sitka alaska out of seattle i was with a trio guitar,bass,drums rock and middle of the road we played there for a month and the agency we were working out of booked us into hoonah it was a small island and the only access was by boat or seaplane ,we flew in the seaplane and i sat next to the pilot he let me take the controls after he gave me some basic instructions of coarse he had his hands on the controls in case i screwed up but it was a blast flying the plane he put it down a few hundred feet from shore and we taxied up to the pier and the locals helped unload us we were playing at the hoonah lodge a combination hotel and bar with a main dance hall and stage those folks loved R&R the entire population of the island was tglinget eskimos and most of them durring the season fished for tuna for 4 months and made around $75,000 and the rest of the year they fished and hunted and got drunk we caught them durring there getting drunk phase everyone including the older people as well as the younger smoked home grown mary j and at the time it was legal to smoke on the street as well as carry firearms the only thing i didn't care for was there practice of a form of voodoo it disorientated me and scared the livin crap out of me i was glad to leave on a boat after the gig was over only one thing wrong the boat caught fire in the engine room and we limped into juneau and they put us up till the boat was repaired we returned to seattle and i wound up in oregon and i stayed with some forest rangers and returned home to milwaukee where my family lived all i can say is it was an experience i dont think i will ever forget entirely

Russell - You are definitely one of the "what a ride" kind of guys. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

zurf i could write a book so many chapters and experiences good and bad but always music

well if you had a resonator guitar... the band could have kept going... that is what the resonator was built for back in the day.. when clubs didnt have power or it was a crowded club the resonator guitar could be heard. OK its not a marshall stack but its like... acoustic guitar for loud people try one in a shop somewhere and you will see for yourself