Topic: Tuning problem?

Hi - newbie here! Very glad to have stumbled upon Chordie. Anyhoo, my question is - when tuning my guitar with an electronic tuner, the first 5 strings are easy enough to tune, but the low E is not correct. If I play this at the 5th fret, it is not the same as the open 5th string. So, I have to tune the 6th string by playing it at the 5th fret, & tuning it to an A. Have just bought a new tuner & have the same problem.
Any ideas why this is so??
Guitar is a Norman B18.

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Re: Tuning problem?

Norm,

Make sure that your electronic tuner is set to the standard 440hz, if you're doing standard tuning.  Electronic tuners have options for other tuning styles, where other signals apply!  Just my two cents!

3 (edited by Tennessee Strat 2008-02-19 05:12:05)

normtheguitar,
Is this a new guitar as well, or just a new tuner? If just the tuner is new, and you're having this problem just now, maybe the tuner is bad. Or the batteries?

If the guitar is new as well, you could be describing a problem with a nut slot that's cut a little too high. Meaning, the slot that the E string sits in is too far off the fretboard (millimeters...) .

What could happen is this: You tune the guitar, everything is fine. Played open , all strings are in tune. Then you press the low E on the 5th fret and it's out of tune: you might be "bending " that string down onto the fretboard too much, so it touches the fret (as you should). But this bending action stretches the string out of tune.

Let us know what you find out! Play on!

Are you sure you are tunning it to E on the tuner and not E sharp or E flat?

I made that mistake once with a chromatic tuner.

could be your harmonics are off for this string

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi guys ,
    This also sounds like it could be an intonation issue .
You didn't say if it was electric
or accoustic . Most electrics have individually adjustable
bridge saddles . You can check this by tuning that string to open E ( as mentioned , make sure your tuner is set at 440 htz ) ,then
fret the string at the 12th fret
and it should be right on E ,
just an octive higher . You can also check that harmonic but usually you won't need to . If it is sharp , you will need to lengthen the string by adjusting the saddle back toward the tail piece , or if flat , go the other way .
hope this helps ........

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

G S E wrote:

Hi guys ,
    This also sounds like it could be an intonation issue .
You didn't say if it was electric
or accoustic . Most electrics have individually adjustable
bridge saddles . You can check this by tuning that string to open E ( as mentioned , make sure your tuner is set at 440 htz ) ,then
fret the string at the 12th fret
and it should be right on E ,
just an octive higher . You can also check that harmonic but usually you won't need to . If it is sharp , you will need to lengthen the string by adjusting the saddle back toward the tail piece , or if flat , go the other way .
hope this helps ........

G S E,

Dead nuts, my summation also that the inntonation is off.

Bootlegger.