Topic: "Walk up to G"

I know that in a lot of songs, especially Bluegrass, there is a 'Walk up to G". Exactly how is that accomplished. I think it sounds really cool, but have not been  playing long enough to figure out the pattern. Could someone explain 'Walk up to G' to me?

Thanks,

Rdot01

Re: "Walk up to G"

I found a link that might be interesting http://www.projectsandhobbies.com/bluegrassguitar.htm

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I would like that info also...explained in laymans terms please...lol/....MM

Hi Moses, if I know what "walk up to G" means, I could help a lot more. I have more than time to surf and search, since I'm not longer working at all. I used to be an MD generalist, but a GOD had other plans.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hello,

Most common is a walk from C chord to G

Keeping the  fret hand on your C chord.  Pick the C note on the 5th string then the B note,  then an open A , then up to the G note on the 6 th string. So it is C  B  A G  and you can go the opposite to walk back down from G to C.It may take a couple of practice sessions to get your timing down while playing songs,find a song you like with a G C D progession and you"ll have it.

Hope this helps. Wayne

Later, Wayne P

if you are "walking up" to g the starting point has to be either an e minor,f major or d major the walkup begins on the root note of the chord your walking from and in bluegrass the chords are fingerpicked so it is possible to play a dmajor and walk the root up to gmajor while still holding the dmajor before you play the g you must play the whole or part of the gmajor chord its like voice leading you are generally playing a scale major or minor its a transistion to the next chord in this case g from a lower point see above

"Growing old is not for sissies"

i would like to add check out my vidios "billy goat and nanny goat" on my web page as examples of walking up and down to several chords

Russell, does this mean that when I take a C-chord (not in barré) and move AND plug the strings were your fingers are, ending up in G.
Russ, maybe you can "compose" a little instrumental, to give an opportunity to listen? That should be the best way to show us.
Just an instrumental between 40 & 60 seconds.

Doc, when I get my new computer I will do a video demo of walkups and walkdowns, I am also a selftrained guitar player and visual demos always seemed to help me more than books or tabs. The G to Em is another one used in country alot.

In the key of G
  G                                                       C                    D                      G
Well I woke Up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didnt hurt,and the beer I had

G
for breakfast wasn't bad ,   ( then walkdown to Em)  So it would be G note on the 6th string to F# sixth string to open E string 6th string  with your fingers in place on the Em strum through the chord after you have hit the e-note and you have just walked down.

Em                                D
So I had one more for desert.     

"Sunday Morning Coming Down"     Johnny Cash --Kris Kristopherson

Later< Wayne

Later, Wayne P

10 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-02-22 16:25:41)

Lieven the vidio you asked for is done it is available for anyone to view go to my web page on myspace and from my profile page click "view my vidios" the short vidio is about walking chords  russell

gitaardocphil wrote:

Russell, does this mean that when I take a C-chord (not in barré) and move AND plug the strings were your fingers are, ending up in G.
Russ, maybe you can "compose" a little instrumental, to give an opportunity to listen? That should be the best way to show us.
Just an instrumental between 40 & 60 seconds.

Hi Russell,

Well done, with even just a basic knowledge of scales and your video, anyone can 'walk up to G' (with a bit of practice, of course).

Asked for and delivered in a very short time.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

thank you roger you can walk to any chord i like to use the capo and apply the same principal to any key useing open posistion chord forms ,anyone can both songs "billy goat"and "nanny goat" i used a capo and these songs can be learned by anyone (with practice of course) i enjoy helping newbies discover the infinite possibilites they can learn and apply to better understand and appricate gods gift of music and the joy it places in there hearts and minds for a lifetime

Well Done Russell,

Visual is always best.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Here's some bass run exercises I found on EZ Folk a while back I think you may find helpful.

http://www.ezfolk.com/guitar/Tutorials/ … _runs.html

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!