Topic: THE CLASSIC BANDS YOU HAVE TO SEE BEFORE YOU DIE

A time ago, it was SEE NAPLES (Italy) FIRST BEFORE YOU DIE. But with all the "garbage" you are dead before you can even see NAPLES. So here, to replace it: THE BANDS YOU NEED TO SEE BEFORE YOU DIE.
A taste:
1. AC/DC
2. Tony Bennett
5. Pink Floyd
6. Kraftwerk
7. The Who
8. The Pogues
9. Oasis
10.The White Stripes
11. Badly Drawn Boy
12. Bob Dylan
13. Guns 'n' Roses
14. Badly Drawn Boy
15. New Order
16. The Rolling Stones
17. Neil Young
18. Prodigy
19. Paul Oakenfold
20. Paul McCartney

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: THE CLASSIC BANDS YOU HAVE TO SEE BEFORE YOU DIE

I would add to this list a guy I recently discovered, thanks to Boxer (Les)...

Xavier Rudd.

If you haven't heard him, you need to visit Les's myspace and take a listen. I was in awe.

Just play

This is a great topic Doc - I have been to several hundred concerts in my years and have seen many of those on your list and there are some I never even heard of or wouldn't think of seeing (Kraftwerk? - I'll have to look them up). A few I would add to the list:

- Elton John - I have seen him / them several times and it's a great show - 3 hours of songs and you can sing along to every one.
- Aerosmith - These guys at 60 put on a high energy show definitely worth seeing. I saw them first in the '70's and they are better today then they were back then.
- Kiss - worth going to just once to what they are all about - not good, but certainly fun.
- Jimmy Buffett - It's not just a show it is an event. Go early and tailgate with the parrotheads.
- Willie Nelson - An American icon that almost brought tears to my eyes. He ain't got many touring years left, so if you have a chance, go see him!

I'll also comment on Bob Dylan - Another Icon I totally adore, but he is a pure artist - his set lists change daily and he doesn't often play his old classics. And if he does they don't sound anything like the originals. I will not pay to see him again unless he is touring with someone else that is compelling. Let's just say the last time I saw Bob he didn't sound good at all.

I regret I never got to see the Grateful Dead or Zep. If Zep tours within 200 miles I'll do my damdest (is that a word) to go see them

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

TOP, thanks. It is silly to see how busy I was, creating a topic like this, included a topic about every member in a band. I doubt if I am the first with lists like this, but at least it keeps me busy for hours and this is what I still am able to do. It's not so difficult, you find more than enough lists on internet. The problem is NOT to copy and paste a list, but it means that I checked every single name too, on some I gave comment, on others not. YEP it takes a lot of time, but this gives me a feeling that I'm not useless, it's already MORE than difficult to accept myself again. WHO has the same feeling? I don't think I am alone, working years, 75 hours a week and suddenly: FINISHED.
One good thing is: very high insured. Imagine, you earn a lot and in a split-second GAME OVER.
So chordie was and is the best SOLUTION to start again and crawl out the deep dark place to a new bright light.
I have seen many, many gigs being 15 years backstage doc on one of the biggest rock festivals and other concerts. I can't help it, but one of the greatest fun-anectode was me "doing pipi" and Lou Reed who entered the toilet too, you know how it goes, you start with a bended head, and suddenly you are looking to eachother, we Reed and me couldn't stop laughing. One of the GREATEST GIGS EVER = SANTANA in Barcelona, 100.000 people, first act: PACO DE LUCIA, flamenco, UNBELIEVABLE, 1 hour, followed by Carlos who played 2 hous and ending with PACO playing flamenco again, darkness, a second guitar CARLOS!!, 8 songs, and every song an extra player, 8 FLAMENCO GUITAR PLAYERS. UNBELIEVABLE

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

led zeppelin,metallica,ac/dc,and the sex pistols   wink

tongue:P:P:P:P

I would of loved to see
The Clash, The sexpistols, and The Ramones
Maybe in some other form of life
Cheers

-Tron

"When the mode of the music changes, the wall of the city shake"
-Plato

Tron Truncheon wrote:

I would of loved to see
The Clash, The sexpistols, and The Ramones
Maybe in some other form of life
Cheers

-Tron

Nice historical choices. Personally interesting to me.
Saw the Clash in NYC at a big ballroom (maybe Roseland)  around 78-79?  Didn't get them until I went to see them and it was one great show!
Saw The Ramones many, many times in NYC area,  once even at CBGB's in mid '70's. 
2 hours, 40 songs no breaks... and [expletive deleted] loud!
The rockdoc "End of the Century" was pretty good, but kind of sad.

Never saw the pistols, but did see Lydon in PIL at Brooklyn Academy of Music.  They opened with an instrumental version of Kashmir.  Very cool.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

gitaardocphil wrote:

TOP, thanks. It is silly to see how busy I was, creating a topic like this, included a topic about every member in a band. I doubt if I am the first with lists like this, but at least it keeps me busy for hours and this is what I still am able to do. It's not so difficult, you find more than enough lists on internet. The problem is NOT to copy and paste a list, but it means that I checked every single name too, on some I gave comment, on others not. YEP it takes a lot of time, but this gives me a feeling that I'm not useless, it's already MORE than difficult to accept myself again. WHO has the same feeling? I don't think I am alone, working years, 75 hours a week and suddenly: FINISHED.
One good thing is: very high insured. Imagine, you earn a lot and in a split-second GAME OVER.
So chordie was and is the best SOLUTION to start again and crawl out the deep dark place to a new bright light.
I have seen many, many gigs being 15 years backstage doc on one of the biggest rock festivals and other concerts. I can't help it, but one of the greatest fun-anectode was me "doing pipi" and Lou Reed who entered the toilet too, you know how it goes, you start with a bended head, and suddenly you are looking to eachother, we Reed and me couldn't stop laughing. One of the GREATEST GIGS EVER = SANTANA in Barcelona, 100.000 people, first act: PACO DE LUCIA, flamenco, UNBELIEVABLE, 1 hour, followed by Carlos who played 2 hous and ending with PACO playing flamenco again, darkness, a second guitar CARLOS!!, 8 songs, and every song an extra player, 8 FLAMENCO GUITAR PLAYERS. UNBELIEVABLE

Once played pinball with Lou (Gottlieb Eightball - get your mind out of the gutter) at a bar in the village. He is a very funny person and he had us laughing for hours.   

Would have loved to see Paco, just to contrast him with Dimeola.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix