Topic: open chords

I've been at this a little while now and the open chords just sound a whole lot better to me than movable chords.  They're a lot fuller sounding and ring a whole lot better... or is it just me?

Old age and treachery...

Re: open chords

Hey Lylenbev ,
   Could'nt agree more , I thought I was the only one who thought that . When I have a choice , I use the open chord . Sounds much better............

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Open chords do have a fuller, fatter sound on acoustic guitar. I recommend getting a capo to play along with some of those 1/2 step tuning alterings or songs in #'s or flats. Eventually the barre chords and moveable chords will sound almost as full as the open chords but for the early and intermediate  stages of learning guitar a capo is a great tool to have.

Give everything but up.

I agree with Southpaw!  Open chords sound great, but to be a complete player, you'll need to be able to move them up the neck.  You'll have more to choose from when playing a song.  Capo is also a good idea to practice with as well!

Thanks for the feedback!!  The movable chords are working pretty good for me,but they just aren't quite as satisfying, and tne power chords really sound dead.  I thought maybe they were mostly used on electrics.  Got the capo and I'm movin' on!  Thanks all!

Old age and treachery...