Topic: LOUSY LYRICS

This is about 2 things:
- An entire song with lousy lyrics
- Phrases from a song who are completely stupid.
First some information: THE WAY PROFESSIONAL CRITICISMS ARE WRITTEN. I am convinced that a lot of guys giving "official critics" are "frustrated musicians". One of the best examples is the PROCOL HARUM song A WHITER SHADE OF PALE, a fantastic song with non-sense lyrics. I adore bands writing complex lyrics by mixing and rhyming. But here we go, the ranking is at random.
LYRICS:
1) I look at the floor, and I see it needs sweeping, Still my guitar gently weeps.
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" The Beatles
2) Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti. "Africa" by TOTO. As I can remember OLYMPUS is in Greece and is the mountain of the GODS.
3) Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball "OASIS" "Champagne Super Nova"
3) I'm as serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer SNAP "Rhythm is a Dancer"
4) "If I was a sculptor but then again, no" ELTON JOHN  'Your Song' (lyrics by Bernie Taupin)
5) "There were plants and birds and rocks and things" AMERICA  'Horse With No Name'
Funny isn't it: plants birds rocks and things (WHAT THINGS? snakes, desert-alligators?)

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by wlbaye 2008-03-02 16:27:36)

Re: LOUSY LYRICS

"Someone left the Cake out in the rain"   McCarther Park

"Are You Going to Scarborough Fair ,Parsley ,Sage ,Rosemary and Thyme'"

Doc, I also like "Whiter Shade Of Pale" but it kinda makes sense for the era,with the substance abuse going on. What the Heck I still Perform it anyways.

Take Care Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

'Save your love through loneliness, save your love thru sorrow, I give you my onlyness..." - Johnny Cash: Onlyness??? What does that mean?

Then of course theres that wierd word in the Joker, pompitous??? Or whatever it was....

Maybe I'll think of some more later I'm too tired to concentrate,...
good topic doc,
LR

All You Need is Love smile

The 'ol Steve Miller song "take the money and run" is just flat out dumb from the first word, but the worst is:
"Billy mack is a detective down in texas
You know he knows just exactly what the facts is
He aint gonna let those two escape justice
He makes his livin off of the peoples taxes"

The whole thing stinks--but that last like is just thrown in there, has nothing to do with anything.

thanx for letting me vent--that song has been bugging me for 20 years...probably more.

MELLOW YELLOW by Donovan
"Electrical banana is going to be a sudden grace
Electrical banana is bound to be the very next phase"

It beats me - but then its from the era when everyone was stoned

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

"No more tomorrow baby.  Time is today.  Girl I can make you feel okay."  - Love Gun by Kiss
Okay?  You can make her feel okay?  What a ringing endorsement of your skill set dude.  Also, from the same song, "You pulled the trigger on my, Love Gun."  How Spinal Tap is that?

Try any of the (not very) many songs by Kula Shaker if you want rubbish lyrics.

TwangTown wrote:

MELLOW YELLOW by Donovan
"Electrical banana is going to be a sudden grace
Electrical banana is bound to be the very next phase"

It beats me - but then its from the era when everyone was stoned

Yes, definitely drug related...I think he was referring to the Anarchists Cookbook. Reputedly there was a recipe in there to make some sort of narcotic out of bananas... Come on Chordians...Someone out there knows of this...Someone out there has DONE this....Fess Up

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

gitaardocphil wrote:

This is about 2 things:
- An entire song with lousy lyrics
- Phrases from a song who are completely stupid.
First some information: THE WAY PROFESSIONAL CRITICISMS ARE WRITTEN. I am convinced that a lot of guys giving "official critics" are "frustrated musicians". One of the best examples is the PROCOL HARUM song A WHITER SHADE OF PALE, a fantastic song with non-sense lyrics. I adore bands writing complex lyrics by mixing and rhyming. But here we go, the ranking is at random.
LYRICS:
1) I look at the floor, and I see it needs sweeping, Still my guitar gently weeps.
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" The Beatles
2) Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti. "Africa" by TOTO. As I can remember OLYMPUS is in Greece and is the mountain of the GODS.
3) Slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball "OASIS" "Champagne Super Nova"
3) I'm as serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer SNAP "Rhythm is a Dancer"
4) "If I was a sculptor but then again, no" ELTON JOHN  'Your Song' (lyrics by Bernie Taupin)
5) "There were plants and birds and rocks and things" AMERICA  'Horse With No Name'
Funny isn't it: plants birds rocks and things (WHAT THINGS? snakes, desert-alligators?)

I love songs with weird lyrics. I think that's the charm. You mention some great songs above. Every knows them no one could write the lyrics down... That's the greatest part. These types of songs are so "musically" fantastic that they lyrics don't matter...
How about the Beatles "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" off the White Album. Fantastic song..lyrically not very complex

Elvis Costello

Hey Geoaguiar ,
   Reminds me of this one time , forty years ago when I was about fourteen .
  One of my buddies came over one day to sing and play , and he walked in the door with this bag of bananas .
I'm like , what are they for , and he says , well he heard that if you take the skins , dry them in the oven , you can smoke them .  Again , I'm like , oooo kay . So we peel all these bananas and eat them ( did'nt want to waste them right ? ) Then put all these skins on my mom's cookie sheets into the oven they go . Well ,we were both feeling a little green from eating all these bananas
and words can not describe the smell coming from the oven.........Needless to say everything got thrown away ,
and when my mom came home to that smell and the mess on her cookie sheets , we were both in deep s--t .
I got the blame and his mom got a call .
   That was my first and last time experimenting with crap like that .
   After that and to this day I say , just give me a beer.......

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

G S E wrote:

Hey Geoaguiar ,
   Reminds me of this one time , forty years ago when I was about fourteen .
  One of my buddies came over one day to sing and play , and he walked in the door with this bag of bananas .
I'm like , what are they for , and he says , well he heard that if you take the skins , dry them in the oven , you can smoke them .  Again , I'm like , oooo kay . So we peel all these bananas and eat them ( did'nt want to waste them right ? ) Then put all these skins on my mom's cookie sheets into the oven they go . Well ,we were both feeling a little green from eating all these bananas
and words can not describe the smell coming from the oven.........Needless to say everything got thrown away ,
and when my mom came home to that smell and the mess on her cookie sheets , we were both in deep s--t .
I got the blame and his mom got a call .
   That was my first and last time experimenting with crap like that .
   After that and to this day I say , just give me a beer.......

Too funny. I've heard the finished banana products caused no buzz but extreme migrane like headaches. I too would choose the beer. These sorts of things are made up b y the same people who used to suck the nitrous out of whipped cream cans!!!!! But I'm way too young to remember that ;-)

Elvis Costello