Topic: Play more than one instrument?

How many guys play more than one instrument?  I've been thinking of buying a bass and learning that as well.  Is it me or is it easy to learn the bass since from what I can see, you're not playing chords ... you're playing individual notes.

Is the learning curve on the bass fast due to this?  Thoughts?

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Re: Play more than one instrument?

I played bass first.  Bass and guitar are very different.  I find it more difficult to play a good solid bass line and make it sound OK than it is to strum or pick a pattern over a set of chords and make it sound OK.  But that's just me.  Your mileage may vary. 

When you play guitar, you are playing in support of the lyrics and voice.  Usually, you emphasize the chords when you emphasize voice and vice versa.  Sometimes you add in a little fill, but mostly guitar and voice work together.

With bass, you are often playing a counterpointed rhythm and working fills.  You MUST maintain a rock steady beat.  Mess up timing with guitar and it's jazz.  Mess up timing with bass and it's wrong. 

So, while you are playing few notes at a time with bass, bass requires a very different mindset to play it well. 

I find it completely natural to sing and play guitar.  I cannot sing while playing bass to save myself. 

When playing chords on a guitar, you are often working shapes with muscle memory on your fingers.  You CAN play chords on bass, but usually it's two notes of the chord at once or arpeggios.  You've got to know your relative positions well.  It's possible to play guitar without knowing where the second of the root, or the fifth of the root is so long as you know what shape to put your fingers in.  With bass, you better know where the second or the fifth is.  In fact, it helps to know where two or three seconds or fifths (or thirds or fourths or sevenths) are.  You have to remember which notes to flat when playing minor chords, etc.

None of this is to say it's harder or easier to play bass, but it IS different. 

I found learning guitar easier because of the (limited) theory and scale work I've done on bass.  I tried playing guitar many times before, but after having worked theory and scale exercises to play my bass better, and THEN trying guitar, I found it pretty easy.  So there is definitely some overlap.

Hope that's not too long-winded and contradictory.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I play bass actively in a gigging band.  It is harder than guitar, for exactly the reason you mentioned.  Chords are easy.  Walking a good line in the pocket is hard.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I  sing, play guitar,harmonica, bass guitar, and many various percussion instruments in a full-time, small-time band. I lay down the beef of my music with my guitar and color my music, via looping, with my bass and percussion. I find playing bass to be somewhat easier than playing guitar. I play rhythym and lead guitar simultaneously so when I add bass guitar to my loops it is a lower octave shadowing of what has previously been established. I do session work on bass as well and I personally find playing bass along with a lead guitar player much easier than playing  guitar leading a band.

Give everything but up.

Hi there ,
   Guitar , bass , violin ,and viola .
   When it comes to musical instruments , my motto is ,
" IF YOU CAN'T PICK IT , STRUM IT , OR PLAY IT WITH A BOW , IT MUST BE SOMETHING THAT YOU MIGHT AS WELL THROW !!!!!
( although I do love the sound of a well played piano )

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

I play
guitar, bass, jews harp, african tom drum, kazoo, mandolin, ukulele,banjolin

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Wow ... pretty impressive list guys ...

Thanks for the insight Zurf ... it'll come in handy!

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Guitar, tabletop drums lol

REALLY wanting to get some piano lessons (must be the Lennon fan in me)

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

I forgot to mention that I have played the following on a stage or by a campfire at one time or another:
trumpet, classical double bass (my only paying gig), slide trombone, bass slide trombone, valve trombone, baritone (which is a cheat because it's pretty much the same instrument as valve trombone except vertical instead of horizontal), tuba (even recorded an album as a member of a brass choir), harmonica, autoharp, bass guitar, and guitar.  Of those that I play with competence at present, bass guitar and coming along OK on guitar.  Good enough for a campfire where the audience has diminished their criticality of musical taste through copious quantities of barley or corn based chemical relaxation aids anyway.  I think I banged on some bongos on stage once too.  Sometimes, stage experiences get hazy for some reason or another. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have enough trouble playing guitar without trying to learn another instrument but I have spent some time fiddling with my zoom drum machine. I love messing around with weird beats and fills and the playing my guitar in the groove

Piano, drums, guitar, bass, alto saxophone, harmonica.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

I played piano for a few years when I was younger, and clarinet in band. I kindof abandoned both of those, wish i would have stuck with piano in some ways, if only to learn music theory...
I play a little bit of mandolin, not enough to brag about, but I kind of follow along if somebody else takes  the lead.

All You Need is Love smile

Piano is a great theory tool, LR.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

I play the guitar, piano and harmonica and sing. Looking at learning the violin and/or mandolin. I find that learning the piano has helped me understand the theory behind other instruments and helps me be a better guitar player.

As far as the bass goes, many of the people I have played with share the thought of the other person, it is difficult to sing and play the bass also.

very good point there John,
I thought it was just me,lol.
I find it near impposible to play bass and sing, even though I was nominated singer for a band when i played bass. I only sang 4 out of 12 songs and got 4 other friends  to make "guest appearances" and sing the other songs when we played a gig.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

piano, violin, cello, guitar, clarinet, flute, harp ( badly), banjo, uke,
and, not an instrument in the common sense of the word but, my voice! ( 25 years of operatic training)

SAXAMAPHONE!
And I make noise with the bass
Cheers

-Tron

"When the mode of the music changes, the wall of the city shake"
-Plato