Topic: MUSIC AND WAR and BANNED MUSIC

Strange topic, but interesting a MUSIC

- WAR, battles accompanied with music, especially drums Can you see soldiers fighting backed up by music? It sounds funny, but I don't think it was at that time
- BANNED MUSIC & BANDS some big bands having a huge hit were banned, and no airplay, like
- Status Quo: I'm in the army now
- Billy Joel:Only The Good Die Young
- Arthur Brown: WAR
And a lot more, "so they say" because of 9/11.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: MUSIC AND WAR and BANNED MUSIC

Morning Doc, just googled    banned songs    and there is a huge list, also a history of banned songs which is interesting.

have a great day.....Badeye

one caper after another

Lieven
great subject.

I do know that the scottish clans used to go into battle with the bagpipes playing.
The playing of the Bagpipe was banned in Scotland after the uprising of 1745. They were classified as an instrument of war by the loyalist government. They were kept alive in secret. Anyone caught carrying pipes were punished, the same as any man that bore arms for Bonnie Prince Charlie. In 1746, in York, James Reid, a piper who bore no arms against the English king was tried for treason. The court came to the conclusion "no highland regiment ever marched without a piper and therefore his bagpipes in the eyes of the law, was an instrument of warfare" He suffered death on the 6th November 1746.
After the ban was lifted, Highland Bagpipe playing  really began to emerge. They became very popular with Scottish Soldiers who carried the instrument the world over making the sound of the instrument more popular and encouraging others to learn.

Before that King William also banned the Irish from playing their pipes too.

Now onto a folk song that got banned that I love,
A song by an english folk singer "Harvey Andrews" he wrote a song called " the soldier" and released it on a 7" vinyl record in 1971 or maybe 1970 or 72, thereabouts.
it was based on a true story of a young soldier on duty in Northern Ireland, He was guarding the railway station when a package burst through the wondow from outside. It was a bomb. The station was filled with people and the soldier never had much time to evacuate the place so he threw himself on the bomb and sacrificed himself, muffling the bomb so more people would be saved. It describes his thoughts as he lay on the bomb, it is a very sad song. it ends with the words " and the rebels clapped and cheered as they sang their rebel song, thats one soldier less to interfere where he does not belong"
So anyway, the British government decided this was not a good advert for the british army and banned the song not only from the radio but from being made. A few did get out. I know 2 people, ex soldiers that have or had this song.
I love this song and I play and sing it on the guitar. I tihnk I might record this and put it on youtube.

And one more, that not only should the song have been banned but the whole band,
Frankie goes to hollywood's RELAX. because of the words it got banned from rdaio one, but never got banned from the shops which is a shame.
They did do a good cover of Springsteen's " born to run" though so they done something useful in their short lived bandlife

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

gitaardocphil wrote:

Strange topic, but interesting a MUSIC

- WAR, battles accompanied with music, especially drums Can you see soldiers fighting backed up by music? It sounds funny, but I don't think it was at that time
- BANNED MUSIC & BANDS some big bands having a huge hit were banned, and no airplay, like
- Status Quo: I'm in the army now
- Billy Joel:Only The Good Die Young
- Arthur Brown: WAR

Man, Doc, you sure pose some interesting questions!

I always thought of "battle music" as a fife and drum corps (American Revolution). As a former Marine, I know that the drum beat will help keep platoons within a company in step with each other - gives a multi-platoon formation a unified count on which to step.

During combat the methodical operation of loading a musket could be kept up to speed by rythmic drum beats, and I would imagine that the playing of inspirational songs would motivate the men during combat. I would liken it to a modern-day warfighter playing some AC/DC, or the Rocky theme through an IPod while they are on manuvers, although that may interfere with comms?

I don't have any knowledge of the banning of songs or bands, but am horrified to think that it was actually done.

Just play

gitaardocphil wrote:

I've heard that almost all of 'Rage Against the Machine's songs were banned from radio because of that.

The only "official" banning of music comes from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and applies to obscene, indecent or profane broadcasting. From their website:

"It is a violation of federal law to air  obscene programming at any time. It is also a violation of federal law to air indecent programming or profane language during certain hours. Congress has given the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) the responsibility for administratively enforcing these laws. The FCC may revoke a station license, impose a monetary forfeiture, or issue a warning if a station airs obscene, indecent, or profane material."

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/obscene.html

As far as I know, the FCC does not have a list of "banned" artists or songs, in fact many songs are modified (with an offensive word removed, changed or just edited out) yet still played over the airwaves.

Now individual stations may "ban" a certain artist or song completely as a corporate decision, possibly out of fear of being fined by the FCC, or just because it may believe that listeners may be offended. But again that is their private decision - the government does not ban any artist or song.

The FCC only rules over "broadcast" radio - they have no jurisdiction over satellite radio (sirius, XM), where you can find an abundance of obscene, indecent and profane language if that's what your looking for. big_smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well done, TD. I am WAY too lazy to do that much research. It's easier for me to just shoot off my mouth! smile

I would only add that in my opinion, the strongest driver for a station to regulate its broadcasts is sponsor money.

If the FCC fines, or suspends an on-air personality for three or four days, the station uses it as a promotional thing: "Our guy is so 'cutting edge' he just got suspended! Tune in tomorrow for more crazy antics!". I have even heard of stations staging suspensions to get publicity.

However, if a big hitting advertiser like a Sony, or a Coca-Cola says "if you don't fire him, we are pulling our ads" you can bet you won't hear that DJ on the air again.

This is the US - The path to decision making is paved with money. sad

Just play

Tibernius wrote:
gitaardocphil wrote:

I've heard that almost all of 'Rage Against the Machine's songs were banned from radio because of that.

I see where that came from - From wikipedia:

This is a list of songs purportedly deemed inappropriate by Clear Channel Communications following the September 11, 2001 attacks. In the days following the attacks, many television and radio stations altered normal programming in response to the events. During this period, the rumor spread that Clear Channel and its subsidiaries had established a list of "songs with questionable lyrics" that stations might not want to play after the attacks. This list was distributed by the independent newsletter Hits Daily Double, which is not affiliated with Clear Channel.[1]

Snopes did research on the subject and concluded that the list did exist as a suggestion for radio stations but noted that it was not an outright ban on the songs in question.[2]

[/b]The list contains 166 songs, including "all songs" by Rage Against the Machine[/b] and songs done by multiple artists (for example "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" by Bob Dylan and the same song by Guns N' Roses). Interestingly, the cover of "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm is on the list despite the fact that the original version, sung by Michael Jackson, is not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_so … 01_attacks

Again - this was an action taken by an individual company in an effort to not offend it's listeners - This was not the government banning anyone.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

It's my understanding that Britain banned a number of "Irish rebel tunes" over the years.  "Arthur McBride" being one that I've heard was banned (and may still be).  Does anyone know if "The Croppy Boy" was officially banned?

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

further to my recent post here I ahve now just finished and uploaded onto youtube the song " soldier".
and so much that I have just finished it that I have not even got a link for it yet.lol
But if you look up me ( upyerkilt1232) it might be there.
probably best looking tomorrow ( monday 25th) or in a few hours after this post was posted.
Thats if yer interested in an amazing song with very deep powerful interesting meaningful truthful lyrics.

Right, if that has not got ye interested then just keep browsing thru here lol

ok, got it now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf1bQD8L9HY
Ken

The song "Soilder" is good, for the orange
Now if you are green you best be looking
at The Wolfe Tones, or The Dubliners
or go down to any irish pub
and tell them to sing any good irish music

CHEERS
-Tron

"When the mode of the music changes, the wall of the city shake"
-Plato

tron I love the dubliners and saw doctors, wolfe tones I am not too fond of much.
But this song the soldier has nothing to do with being orange or green or even pinky sort of purple. It is a song about a soldier in the british army, not the orange lodge.

And if you are saying about "green" songs being the dubliners, they sing old style rebel songs not the terrorist modern rebel songs that I have heard the wolfe tones sing. in old style I mean their songs against the british army and their pro ira songs were based on before 1916, not modern day times, even though so many narrow minded people like to think or romantisise that it is. After 1916 the IRA were terrorists ( I might be wrong with the exact year there but thereabouts) after treaties were signed then they were no longer freedom fighters. I could go on for hours about this but it would make my blood boil when people think they know when they dont.

I also think it funny yet strange how a few ( or maybe a lot) americans that call themselves irish american think that it was ok to fund a terrorist group like the IRA, even the american government let their banks do it too until the 11th of september now know internationally as 9/11.
Now the government their made sure no terrorsit groups could launder money through any bank in the world. But if it were not for that day the ira would still get funds through this way and nothing would have been done.

I am not orange,protestant, green,catholic or a pinky and perky follower. I am for human life on earth no matter what colour,religion or beliefs.

ok, This has been editted twice now. I am sometimes bad with words, I am not looking for an argument about this nor a big heated debate. I just saw a post I was not happy with.

Ok, back to drinking my birthday wine.

All the best
Ken

london calling and anarchy in the uk were banned in england.actually i'm not sure about london calling but i know a guy got arrested for either whistling,humming or singing it in the back of a cab.i bet a marilyn manson song has been banned.i heard that you can't play the short people song in maryland or maine.

tongue:P:P:P:P

the guy got never got arrested he was taken in to the police station for questioning after he was singing it in the taxi. I think  that was last year or 2006. Because the driver heard him sing the words and thought he was going to blow up london or something silly.
But the song was not banned I dont think.

Ken

upyerkilt wrote:

tron I love the dubliners and saw doctors, wolfe tones I am not too fond of much.
But this song the soldier has nothing to do with being orange or green or even pinky sort of purple. It is a song about a soldier in the british army, not the orange lodge.

And if you are saying about "green" songs being the dubliners, they sing old style rebel songs not the terrorist modern rebel songs that I have heard the wolfe tones sing. in old style I mean their songs against the british army and their pro ira songs were based on before 1916, not modern day times, even though so many narrow minded people like to think or romantisise that it is. After 1916 the IRA were terrorists ( I might be wrong with the exact year there but thereabouts) after treaties were signed then they were no longer freedom fighters. I could go on for hours about this but it would make my blood boil when people think they know when they dont.

I also think it funny yet strange how a few ( or maybe a lot) americans that call themselves irish american think that it was ok to fund a terrorist group like the IRA, even the american government let their banks do it too until the 11th of september now know internationally as 9/11.
Now the government their made sure no terrorsit groups could launder money through any bank in the world. But if it were not for that day the ira would still get funds through this way and nothing would have been done.

I am not orange,protestant, green,catholic or a pinky and perky follower. I am for human life on earth no matter what colour,religion or beliefs.

ok, This has been editted twice now. I am sometimes bad with words, I am not looking for an argument about this nor a big heated debate. I just saw a post I was not happy with.

Ok, back to drinking my birthday wine.

All the best
Ken

I agree with you totally
I am sorry if i offended
I agree with you on the terrorism part
OH, and i was born in ireland and lived there
for my first 12years of my life..... soo i am not just
some American thinking they knew all about the troubles....
One day, i will return to my land ... hopefully with no more pain
36+6=1
Cheers

-Tron

"When the mode of the music changes, the wall of the city shake"
-Plato