1 (edited by Siege of Troy 2008-03-11 00:49:01)

Topic: Stacks

I have finally decided to look into getting a Stack Amp (or half stack). I have very little experience with stacks, and the way they work. I have only played through the usual 10 watt practice amps, and my current Carlsbro GLX100. Soon I'll be moving into a new place, and will have a larger room that will enable me to have more (and larger) equipment.

I'm not too keen on the way amps work, I only pay attention to how they sound, if they have a rear panel audio input, and if they have enough EQ knobs for me to mess around with. I wish I really had read up more on them.

So before I go out in a buying frenzy, I want to find out as much as I can about stacks, how they work, which brands to look at, how to set em up, etc etc.

I'm also curious to know if I can use my current amp (Carlsbro GLX100) as an amp head, it has a send jack on the back panel, but as I said, I'm not too keen on amps...

I would greatly appreciate it if those who use stacks in any form can give me all the information they know regarding them. I just want to buy one that will last a long time, and that I'll be satisfied with.

I mainly play Power Metal, progressive rock, hard rock, and blues. I have a budget of about $650 USD. I also need to know if it is safe to mix and match brands when pairing cabinets with heads (i.e. Crate Head, Ibanez Cabinet)...

Re: Stacks

Hi Siege ,
  My little bro is a true " amp head " . Whenever he's looking at something Different
he goes to Harmony Central
web site . He told me that just about any piece of gear out there will have user reviews and a ton of other info ............Good Luck........

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

That site is awesome. Thanx a million, man....it's a big help

If you are looking to get a better amp, I wouldn't advise getting a stack for a few reasons. Stacks are gigantic, heavy, and expensive. I play through an old 50watt Ampeg tube combo amp. It has one 12" speaker and is loud as hell. I also built a cabinet with two 12" speakers... so if i need a little more volume, I can run three 12" speakers at once. Transporting a stack is no easy task and I highly doubt that you will ever need an amp with that much power.

I would advise buying a Fender hot-rod deville or a similar tube combo. If you spend $650 on a stack, you probably won't end up with an amp that sounds that great (it will definitely be loud though).

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

shredfiend wrote:

If you are looking to get a better amp, I wouldn't advise getting a stack for a few reasons. Stacks are gigantic, heavy, and expensive. I play through an old 50watt Ampeg tube combo amp. It has one 12" speaker and is loud as hell. I also built a cabinet with two 12" speakers... so if i need a little more volume, I can run three 12" speakers at once. Transporting a stack is no easy task and I highly doubt that you will ever need an amp with that much power.

I would advise buying a Fender hot-rod deville or a similar tube combo. If you spend $650 on a stack, you probably won't end up with an amp that sounds that great (it will definitely be loud though).

Good advice from shredfiend, stacks are to heavy and if your not playing large venues are not needed. You can get yourself a combo amp and run it through the board if you need more volume. As also stated by shredfiend for the amount of silver your looking to spend you'll end up with a solid state 1/2 stack, their some good ones out their but I prefer tube amp. Look in to the Fenders (I play a Deville with 410's) their good amps for the money.

Bootlegger.

For the past ten years, I've been playing through combos -Vox AC30, now Fender Bassman Reissue LTD, but:  When you get the stack fever, there is no cure. And the symptoms are always the same: You have a hard time getting that stack in the van (forget a station wagon), your buddies always scream at you to turn that damn thing down, and you're frustrated. Here you have the super weapon of rock, and it just doesn't sound right on 2, or 3...

Yes, I'm guilty for having owned a stack+head for a few years, but I guess you have to eventually bite the bullet and find a roaring combo... Actually musically speaking, it's classier to not just play full throttle all the time. My back is getting better, but there are still the PA speakers to lug around. I never had a roadie, rats!

Play on!