Re: Welcome, and Introductions!

I too am and old newbie. 62 to be exact. I took lessons about 10 years ago for a while. Didn't like my progress and stopped all together. My wife at the time, bought me a Taylor. I still have the Taylor, not the wife.

I live near Lynchburg Virginia and am really enjoying 're-learning' a few chords and making some noise.

This is a great website. I have learned a lot since I found it about a month ago.

Thanks guys for such a good job.

Well as we are all introducing ourselves....Here I go.......

I am Clare, 31 on 7th march, woo hoo, cant wait.....Single mum to two kids 3 & 5 and live in Sunny Essex, Uk.......Only started palying when i got offered a Fender Fishman Electro-Acoustic about two weeks into this year [2008] so am real new to the whole guitar thing......Always been a bit creative with words, songs and poems, but never with music, always wanted to learn an instrument, and figured now was a good time...well as good as any......I dont so much have a problem making chords [being double jointed kinda helps stretch those fingers about all over the shop] its the strumming i'm kinda struggling with!

Any hints and tips are always welcomed!!

Cheers

Clare.x

Life isnt about FINDING yourself.....Its all about CREATING yourself!!!!

hi clare and welcome to chordie.

practice and more practice is the advice i will give you.

there are some online help sites for learning the gutiar such as musicmoose.com and a few others that i canny remember the name.

happy birthday when it comes, I am going out to celebrate my 38th birthday tonight, even though it was actually on thursday.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thanks Ken

practice is the key, i have been doing so non stop..... but i know that it wont happen Jus' like that [Tommy Cooper style there]  wink

I figure it was the ideal instrument for me to learn, as you never stop learning [or so im told] and i'm one of those people who if they are gonna learn summit they dont give up!!

Cheers for the birthday wishes...Hope you have a great night tonight!!!

C.x

Life isnt about FINDING yourself.....Its all about CREATING yourself!!!!

Happy birthday, UYK, and you too, Clare.

And welcome!

Just play

UYK,

How was the Birthday Celebration?

Hopefully you are unincarcerated, and can remember at least some of your night?

big_smile

Just play

my night out was the best i had this year so far, not that there has been many nights out lol
The meal I had was the tastiest meal I tihnk I have eaten, if not the best then it was really close to it. I dont even know what it was called that I had. I even took a photo of it lol yes I know I am a saddo! lol But it looked perfect.
It was a slice of haggis on the bottom then a slice of apple then a slice of venison then a slice of black pudding then another slice of apple and on top another slice of venison with a peppercorn sauce all stacked up and measured mabye about 10" high. served with mashed totties and veg.
hmmmmmmm, I want to go back now and get it again.

Then after that in the pub there was a 3 piece band, guitar,violin,mandolin playing all sorts. Irish,scottish and poppy sort of stuff done in a folky sort of way wit hthose instruments.

A very good night it was thanks.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

upyerkilt wrote:

my night out was the best i had this year so far, not that there has been many nights out lol
The meal I had was the tastiest meal I tihnk I have eaten, if not the best then it was really close to it. I dont even know what it was called that I had. I even took a photo of it lol yes I know I am a saddo! lol But it looked perfect.
It was a slice of haggis on the bottom then a slice of apple then a slice of venison then a slice of black pudding then another slice of apple and on top another slice of venison with a peppercorn sauce all stacked up and measured mabye about 10" high. served with mashed totties and veg.
hmmmmmmm, I want to go back now and get it again.

Then after that in the pub there was a 3 piece band, guitar,violin,mandolin playing all sorts. Irish,scottish and poppy sort of stuff done in a folky sort of way wit hthose instruments.

A very good night it was thanks.

ken

That sound just about Purrfecct to me.  smile

That's All Non-Violence is
--- Organized Love---
        Joan Baez

Well I'll go ahead and be the first "youngin" to post. I'm 20, from Southeast Ohio... currently going to college at Ohio University. Haven't been playing that long, but progress has been very fast. Play anywhere from 3 to 6 hours a day. Never had to force myself to play, but occasionally to stop playing. Just started writing songs... maybe after some kinks are worked out I'll post my first in the songwriting section. Most of the people who have my tastes in music are either older than 40 or are chordians by the name of Last Rebel (lol). Play almost solely on acoustic, since that's where I started and it's less of a hassle. That and I don't know many electric songs. Wish I liked to study as much as I like to play. Am blessed with many good buddies who have been playing for a while and always offer tips and tricks. Favorite thing to do is go get a six pack and have a porch-jam session with about 4 or 5 of my buddies. Recently picked up on playing the harmonica... hoping to learn piano next. If I ever need to relax I'll just put on some CDs or pick up the acoustic. Have received lots of complements on my ever-growing Cd collection. My goal is to get all of the Rolling Stones 500 greatest albums before I die.

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

HI ALL IVE JUST JOINED THIS GREAT SITE, PITY IT WASNT ABOUT WHEN I BOUGHT {BERT WEDDONS PLAY GUITAR IN 5 MINS}IN 1960, IM STILL LEARNING. NAME HERE BRENDAN HOME LARNE CO ANTRIM N.I. STILL HAVE SOME OF MY EARLY GUITARS AND GET GREAT ENJOYMENT PLAYING

Welcome to Chordie Brendan! Would love to hear more about those "early" guitars.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

HI TOPDOWN THANKS FOR THE WELCOME.GUITARS ARE HOFNER GALAXY. GIBSON ES330, FENDER STRATOCASTER.  ACOUSTIC PAUL BRETT 6 STRING. ALSO  5 STRING BANJO J CHAMBERLAIN WHICH I HOPE TO LEARN IN TIME.   B.

I'm new to Chordie...fairly new to guitar. I've been playing off and on for about 10 years. I still don't think I'm an accomplished guitarist by any means, but there is a lot of great advice in the forum here that has helped alot. I like the friendly atmosphere as well.

I'll introduce myself self too. My name is Ben and I live in Southern Minnesota (which is problably still further north than most people who chat here!).  It was about 45 degrees today! The snow is finally melting! One learns to appreciate spring when you deal with -30 degrees (F) and -60 degree windchills.

It's not my birthday...but I'll turn 30 this year. Thanks oldnewbie and topdown for welcoming those of us who are new to the site.

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Thanks Ben and welcome to chordie. I am really a newbie myself and this site - the songs and forum combined have helped me tremendousely! Although I played a bit as a kid, this wonderful thing called the internet has helped me re-learn exponentially faster.

Friendly is the right description of Chordie - Musicians of all levels sharing their questions and successes, that's what it's all about!

I live in North Carolina and the signs of spring are just beginning to show. Chin up - no doubt Spring is headed for Minesoooda soon!

Hey topdown! I'm from SOUTHERN Minnesota! Northern Minnesotans and North Dakotans are the ones that sound like everyone in "Fargo" (plus, they really over-did the Minnesoooodan accent in that movie, don't ya know!). sheez - I thought this was a "friendly" site~JK smile

I'm looking forward to spring...saw my first robin yesterday...I want to get out golfing again. I just saw that we're supposed to get some snow again next week! sad At least I know that spring will be here soon.

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

george here, 62 and just started to learn  bluegrass guitar. ive played before the war and picked up banjo a couple years ago and now want to play my own backup. great site, ill be around here for awhile, you can bet. thanks in advance for all the help ill be getting from all the posts. mu guitar is the martin custom D-15. sounds real good.im in bristol, tenn.

etc_04 wrote:

Well I'll go ahead and be the first "youngin" to post. I'm 20, from Southeast Ohio...

What town are you from, etc?

I was born in Columbus, but grew up in Hocking County (not extremely southeast, but close).

Do you know Logan, or Nelsonville, or Lancaster?

Just play

I just register it at this forum...I am from Slovenia. Learning to play guitar my self...and...have hope to make better progres in learning. Also learning to sing and have problems but anyway I doing it because it making fun together with playing guitar. Here you have my youtube site and hope you will have fun to look my videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/N19en71ad

Made some video lessons of my version...hope those lessons will help someone to make progres.

I hope this is not to much or less I been say abouth me but hope I will find on this forum some friends and learn something new and helpfull thing.

I wish everyone a nice day

Gerasim

Welcome to Chordie Gerasim! I have never met a Slovenian before. I did check out your youtube page and enjoyed it very much.

Hi Everyone!  Someone asked me recently how long I have been playing and I was stunned to realize that 26 years had passed since I took my book money for 1st semester at college and bought a used 12 string instead.  I have been using Chordie for a while now, but since I am a pretty basic computer user, I wasn't sure about joining.  After reading about each of you I decided to brave it and am really glad I did.

There's been a lot of water under the bridge since my first C chord, but I am still as passionate now as I was that first year away at school.  I learned by watching others and still play the basic same simple music.  I have added an Ibanez 6 string to my collection (a gift from my husband), and this year I treated myself to a new 12 string Breedlove.  I was given an electric guitar from my uncle that he bought in the 50's but I don't know what to do with it.  It looks great, however, next to my old time favorite 12 string Epiphone.

Only a real rookie would have tried to learn on a 12 but I didn't know any better.  I figured...more strings....more sound.  Eventually, I learned I  was right.  I still play mostly for myself but occasionally get brave enough to play for family and friends.  Nothing like a room full of voices singing along.

Glad to be part of your group now.

Welcome to the forum tinawill247 - If you have been lurking for a while (as indicated by your post), you already know that this is the friendliest, most helpful group of musicians on the entire net. I'm glad you spoke up and welcome you to the group!

Thats a funny story - learning on a 12. Reminds me of a golf tale - a lot of teachers tell beginners never to use a driver (because it is the most difficult club). I was taught with ONLY the driver, the logic being if I could learn to hit that club, every other club would be a breeze.

Now that I think about it - There is no moral to my story - that was 30 years ago and I still can't hit a *&%$ golf ball with any consistency  smile

Thanks topdown.  It's good to be part of the group.  I own a miniature golf course/ice cream stand that keeps me busy in the summer.  Sorry, no drivers allowed...only putters!

tinawill247 - I just noticed your location - upstate NY - for most folks, thats anything north of NYC - I was raised in the Kingston area (Hurley) - where, more specifically, are you located?

The fingerlakes region about 4 hours from the city.  God's country.  No tall buildings in sight!

tinawill247 wrote:

The fingerlakes region about 4 hours from the city.  God's country.  No tall buildings in sight!

Beautiful country up there - God's country is right. Most folks would be surprised how beautiful New York state is. Most folks think NY, all they imagine is city.