Topic: 12-string bass?

How is a 12-string bass set up? What strings does it have?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: 12-string bass?

There are a few one-off instruments built by enthusiasts but a 12 -string bass isn't a real instrument. Most basses are 4 strings E A D G (alternate tunings are rare in bass). There are 5 string basses and these add a low B ( B E A D G), this gives a real booming low note (more than some amps can handle). Six string basses are also gaining popularity giving an additional high C string. Jazz and classical cats do some weird things with the tunings but for most players a 4 string bass is enough for anything.

You may be thinking of the baja sexto, used by mariachi bands which has 6 pairs of strings (I think). This is one octave lower than regular guitar rather than 2 octaves lower like the electric bass.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

cytania wrote:

...one octave lower than regular guitar rather than 2 octaves lower like the electric bass.

So that's what the difference is! lol

cytania wrote:

There are a few one-off instruments built by enthusiasts but a 12 -string bass isn't a real instrument. Most basses are 4 strings E A D G (alternate tunings are rare in bass). There are 5 string basses and these add a low B ( B E A D G), this gives a real booming low note (more than some amps can handle). Six string basses are also gaining popularity giving an additional high C string. Jazz and classical cats do some weird things with the tunings but for most players a 4 string bass is enough for anything.

You may be thinking of the baja sexto, used by mariachi bands which has 6 pairs of strings (I think). This is one octave lower than regular guitar rather than 2 octaves lower like the electric bass.

Check on Musicians Friend, you can buy some signature model.  There are 8 string ones too.

Switchfoot

12 string basses have four sets of three strings. one tuned to the same pitch as a four string but with the addition of two normal guitar strings. So when you play you have to hold down three strings with one finger, good luck to them i have more than enough adventure getting round six.

Wow, that's cool.  Sounds difficult to play.

Switchfoot