Topic: classical music - helpful for other styles

my 9 year daughter is learning classical guitar at school

i taught her for a bit - and she learnt all the basic chord shapes - but i though a teacher would inspire her

shes learning fingerstyle but forgetting the chords i taught her

do classical guitarist ever use chords, never having studied classical guitar i don't really know how useful learning classical music is for other styles, like if she wanted to play electric when she got older.

Re: classical music - helpful for other styles

Classical guitar is extremely useful for other styles of music.  They don't use a lot of chords, but they use a huge number of arpeggios, which will help her to UNDERSTAND chords far better than just knowing their shapes.

Also, she'll learn to count, which is huge.  Knowing how to count out a passage is terribly useful for hearing rhythms and patterns. 

She'll also learn about variations on a theme, something that apparantly Lenny Kravitz never bothered to learn.  Variations on a theme makes music far more interesting and intrigueing. 

I'd say that she will be well served by a foundation in classical music. 

As far as classical guitar, she will learn proper posture and good left hand and right hand patterns and techniques.  All of which is directly applicable to any style of music she likes and chooses to play in the future.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf  even the evil "B' chord?

Zurf wrote:

Classical guitar is extremely useful for other styles of music.  They don't use a lot of chords, but they use a huge number of arpeggios, which will help her to UNDERSTAND chords far better than just knowing their shapes.

Also, she'll learn to count, which is huge.  Knowing how to count out a passage is terribly useful for hearing rhythms and patterns. 

She'll also learn about variations on a theme, something that apparantly Lenny Kravitz never bothered to learn.  Variations on a theme makes music far more interesting and intrigueing. 

I'd say that she will be well served by a foundation in classical music. 

As far as classical guitar, she will learn proper posture and good left hand and right hand patterns and techniques.  All of which is directly applicable to any style of music she likes and chooses to play in the future.

- Zurf

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

Zurf  even the evil "B' chord

big_smile

Shhhhhh.  Don't mention the 'chord that must not be named.'  It'll hear you and sneak into your favorite songs, rendering them unplayable.  Only certain mutants (long live the mutants) have learned the wary secrets of the Chord of Evil and forced it into submission. 

I guess B7 and Bm are OK.  They're only partly evil. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf I posted a song on the songwritng chordie that features the "Evil B" and its relatives I have started work on a composition called "Zurf and the Evil B" hope you dont mind,its all in fun LOL I will record it and upload to myspace when done  russ

Zurf wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Zurf  even the evil "B' chord

big_smile

Shhhhhh.  Don't mention the 'chord that must not be named.'  It'll hear you and sneak into your favorite songs, rendering them unplayable.  Only certain mutants (long live the mutants) have learned the wary secrets of the Chord of Evil and forced it into submission. 

I guess B7 and Bm are OK.  They're only partly evil. 

- Zurf

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Don't mind!?  Shoot, I'm honored!  Have fun with it.  You surely won't hurt my feelings. 

I haven't been on Songwriting for a while, so I'll go look for the one you mentioned.  I've been working on a song for a buddy of mine titled Bigger, Badder, Balder, Better.  We'll see how it goes.  My first real effort in this regard.   It will almost certainly be written in G and I can personally guarantee that it will not have a B chord in it.

- Zurf