Topic: Eric CLAPTON'S BEST SONG

First some information. CLAPTON = a CHAMELEON. He started as a not so self insured fellow, with JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS. Back in the early sixties, THE BLUESBREAKERS and ALEXIS CORNER gave us some of the best guitar players on the world, in most of the cases followed by 1 or 2 years Yardbirds.
# Eric Clapton
# and Jack Bruce (both later in Cream),
# Peter Green, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood (later all in Fleetwood Mac),
# Mick Taylor (later in The Rolling Stones),
# Harvey Mandel, Walter Trout, Larry Taylor (later in Canned Heat),
# Don "Sugarcane" Harris, Randy Resnick, Aynsley Dunbar, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Andy Fraser (Free), Chris Mercer, Henry Lowther, Johnny Almond and Jon Mark (later of Mark-Almond).
AN AMAZING LIST.
ALEXIS KORNER WAS THE OTHER ONE:.
musicians as Charlie Watts, Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, Long John Baldry and attrackting some others including Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Rod Stewart, John Mayall and Jimmy Page. I believe that at that time everybody has played with everybody.
BUT HIS BEST SONGS? MAYBE 2 LISTS: ROCK/BLUES and BALLADS
- ROCK:
1) CROSSROADS
2) LAYLA
3) BADGE
- BALLADS
1) LET IT GROW
2) TEARS IN HEAVEN
3) WONDERFUL TONIGHT

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Eric CLAPTON'S BEST SONG

Tough to answer that one Docphil. I like anything Clapton
has done musically over the years. For today I'll say "Rock and Roll Heart"and "Strange Brew".

Hope your having a good day... Badeye.

one caper after another

Anything with Cream...It was all fantastic...what a band

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Crossroads.. Eric Clapton at his best even after all these years still my favourite
Ark

Tears in Heaven or Wonderful Tonight

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Phil,
you break it out into rock/blues and then ballads. And that's a pretty good list.
Layla is his best songwriting effort, especially when you hear how the unplugged version holds up, maybe even a little better. 
Wonderful tonight and Tears From Heaven are great writing efforts. 
Badge was written with George Harrison and is a great song, but not solely his effort. Still deserves a place on the list.   
I think I would put Presence of the Lord over Let it Grow. 

But what if we consider his masterful playing ability and focus a little on performance.
These are what I consider among his best.
Crossroads is his best playing performance. Maybe because it is a live recording.
The guitar break on White Room is a classic and a must learn for any wah pedal users. As nearly a perfect minor pentatonic solo as you will hear.
How about the great performances on Cocaine, Key to the Highway, Hideaway and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
And the overall performance and crossover appeal of I Shot the Sheriff made Bob Marley a household name in the US.

Tough to limit focus on EC.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

Very hard choice I love almost all of them!!!!

tongue:P:P:P:P