Topic: Playing Notes !

I've been playing songs from Chordie for six months now .. What a great site !!! Thanks !!!!!!!!

I have learned probably 15 chords and am very happy about
that !!!

Do people that use Chordie play just the chords ??? That's what I've been doing . My friend who plays guitar says I now  need to learn the whole fretboard and learn to play notes  too ???

I am 53 and this is the first instrument I've ever played . I would really appreciate any assistance !

Thank You !!!!

Bob

Re: Playing Notes !

Well, if you're happy, that's all that really matters, but I tend to agree with your friend.

You'll be a better player.  Knowing chords is one thing.  Knowing the entire fretboard lets you play those chords all over the neck, play scales, lead lines, riffs, and other runs, and basically opens up the instrument to you creatively.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi robbob ,the guys above are right,you will get a little tired of just playing chords. If you want too grow its good too learn how too read music. You can also play tablature notation which is simular too playing notes.Glad too see other other older guys out there playing and learning,Im a few years older then you. I have been playing since I was in high school. Keep on rockin///.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Bob, I was just playing/strumming chords for years , but started to learn to read music only recently ,it,s not as hard as some folk would have you believe.  All the notes in the first position are easy to learn and you will be playing the melody in no time.good luck  .

Thanks to all , for your great  responses  !!!

Is there a particular favorite  web site or book  anyone  can recommend to learn notes and read music  ? Should I now  begin to buy sheet music ????

Thank You Very Much  To All !!!

Bob

Bob, most music shops should have tutor /beginners books. Also look for the " Busker 101" song books ,pick out the songs you sort of know and persevere for a while. Also if you do a Google search for easy guitar tunes and see what it coughs up.

Thank You .....   henryb !!!