Topic: yet another barre chord topic

i can't seem to get both the b and the e when i do the thumb over barre chords.  so i fix this by either choosing to press one and mute the other.  my question is, which is better to play?  on the G bar chord, i've noticed it doesn't sound like an open E chord without the e but i noticed the A doesn't sound close to the open A while pressing the e. 

i know that an alternate fingering to the F is to do it without the high e, does this apply to every bar chord?  should i just play the e on certain chords and play the b on others?

Re: yet another barre chord topic

You could use power chords. Sorry this is not much help but I don't use barre chords.

tongue:P:P:P:P

As with all the bar chord threads...PRACTICE is the only solution...there are no short cuts. Practicing bar chords will pay off.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Froot,

Lots of folks here have already mentioned about practicing!  And, I too, have to agree!  There is no short cut to barring chords, but there are exercises that will help expedite learning!  As well as reducing cramps in your hand.

Start with either squeezing a tennis ball (left hand) or use a spring-loaded hand grip for guitarist.  This grip exercises each finger independently.  So, focus more on your index finger and thumb! 

When practicing, I would suggest you not use your thumb, except for placing it behind the neck.   I know a lot of musicians use theirs, but if you are to learn correctly, this would be the best way. 

Keep at it, and you'll see improvements in no time. 

froot wrote:

i can't seem to get both the b and the e when i do the thumb over barre chords.  so i fix this by either choosing to press one and mute the other.  my question is, which is better to play?  on the G bar chord, i've noticed it doesn't sound like an open E chord without the e but i noticed the A doesn't sound close to the open A while pressing the e. 

i know that an alternate fingering to the F is to do it without the high e, does this apply to every bar chord?  should i just play the e on certain chords and play the b on others?

sorry, maybe i should've been more specific

i can do normal bar chords, but i can't grab both high strings with my index because my guitar is a bitch to press.  my finger is all the way down but the string kinda like cuts up into the flesh

froot wrote:

sorry, maybe i should've been more specific

i can do normal bar chords, but i can't grab both high strings with my index because my guitar is a bitch to press.  my finger is all the way down but the string kinda like cuts up into the flesh

After time you'll develop a pad on your barre finger and it will ease up (just like your fingertips did when starting out) but if it's really that hard to barre the strings you probably need a decent set up....

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi Froot,

I have two suggestions to make as you say that it is very hard to hold down the strings so I am ignoring physical strenth issues.

1: Perhaps the action is too high (too much gap between the strings and fingerboard) causing your problem and, unless you know what you are doing the best thing to do is to take it to an expert to check it and make the neccessary adjustments.

2: The other thing is to use a lighter gauge string which are thinner and have less tension. I personally do not like very light strings on a acoustic as, to my ear, the sound from them is very wishy-washy and ruins the tone.

I must point out that you do need to decide on string gauge before any work is done on the guitar as changing the string gauge will alter the set up of it.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"