Topic: Snapping G string

Ok, so I was at this gentlemen’s club…..No, seriously I have popped 3 G-strings in the past 3 days. Is it me or just a fluke?

Thursday  Night, I’m strumming the Yamaha with maybe a 1 month old set of Martin “Clapton’s Choice† strings. BROOING – The G string pops at the nut. No big deal, the strings were getting worn and needed to be replaced soon anyway. I actually thought it was kind of cool – the first string I ever popped.

Yesterday – I bought a used Takamine and the strings were obviously used also. No idea what brand, but they had visible wear. After playing for an hour or so – SPROING – the G string again! OK – used strings – new guitar (for me anyway), so it deserves some new strings. So I put on a fresh set of Elixer 80/20 nanoweb lights. Sounds good, for a while – after strumming and picking for a couple more hours SNAP – the damn G string again – this time at the bridge.

3 G strings in 3 days – Just a freak thing or am I banging on that G string too hard?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

2 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-03-23 17:36:42)

Re: Snapping G string

Hey Tops, G strings are the smallest diameter string on the guitar and therefore the easiest to break.  I don't really know what else to tell you except maybe to lighten up a little or move up to mediums or custom lights. You can use a pencil to mark the grooves in the nut and also run it across the saddle a few times. The graphite will lubricate the string slidding in these areas and possibly help with the problem. I do this to all mine as it helps when fine tuning (this string doesn't all of a sudden jump from flat to sharp) It slides easily and tunes properly...Just an idea... Also check for burrs in those areas.  I feel your pain though having to put the g strings on repeatidly...It kinda goes against what we guys are used to...lol I've always preffered taking them of myself...lol Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks Pix - good tip on the graphite, I'll give it a shot. I may have to also settle on a specific brand of string and buy some extra single "G"'s. In my search for the "perfect" guitar string, I have multiple different brands, and since I don't want to mix them, I end up changing the whole set. I am getting faster at changing them anyway!

You didn't happen to be fingering Am were you?

Hey Topdown...funny, I just popped a g-string yesterday too! I'm kinda bummed cause I just replaced my strings on Wednesday! I'm using elixer polywebs and I've never broke a polyweb string in about 5 years of using them. I tried out the nanowebs a few months back...ignoring all of the reviews that said they had breakage issues, especially with the g-string. Well, I played for about an hour and popped the g-string. I do like elixers (polywebs) and I think my recent break was a fluke since I've had 5 years experience with them. You should give the polywebs a try. To me, they sound better, last longer, and have less breakage issues.

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Thanks crowellb, I'll give the polywebs a shot. I must say, so far I haven't been real impressed by the elixers - that was my second or 3rd set I think. I sent them an email and suggested they send me a new set if they want to keep this customer - I'll let you know if I get a response.

So far, Martin strings seem to be the best for me. Long lasting and they seem to stay in tune really well. I've got a set of DR's on now, we'll see.

I have to agree the polywebs sound better than the nanoweb, Ive been using them on my Yairi and Takamine for 7 years with no breakage problems.
Wayne

Later, Wayne P

Just thought I'd update the forum here with the response I got from Elixir. In the future, I will try to keep a spare set so if I do have premature breakage, I only have to change the single string. It's worth knowing and they kept me as a customer. Their reply is below:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your interest and support in Elixir® Strings, along with taking the time to write us.  I apologize for the experience you are having with our strings.  Although, our strings offer long musical life, occasionally guitar strings break prematurely and we understand that this can be a very frustrating experience.  That being said, it is our policy to replace any string that does break prematurely. As a one time courtesy I have entered an order to send a replacement set of light gauge strings. Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Thanks and Regards

Elixir® Strings
W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc.
201 Airport Road
Elkton MD 21921 USA
Ph: 800.367.5533
Fx:  410.996.8585
Reply to: elixirstrings@wlgore.com
To place an order: esorders@wlgore.com
ELIXIR, NANOWEB, and POLYWEB are trademarks of W L Gore & Associates Inc

That's a real stand-up thing for Elixir Strings to do. In these times of computer generated telecommunicational devices it's nice to hear of  a good old fashioned, tryin-to-keep-a-customer-gesture as this.
   One suggestion that i might add to go along with all of the other fine ones previously metioned is to make sure you are playing with fresh, non-snaggeddy picks. If your picks are overplayed and worn down they will get snag spots on them, hook the string, and snap 'em like a spring green bean. Just do a visual inspection each time you use a pick, if you do at all, and if they show signs of wear, sand 'em down with some fine sandpaper once or twice, then toss 'em or put 'em in a scrapbook(or whatever). It really makes a difference, (fresh crispy picks)...................

Give everything but up.

Agreed SouthPaw - I'm glad I asked and they delivered - I explained about the full set thing and they replied quickly and to my satisfaction. There are just so many strings out there and I must say, had I not received a satisfactory response, they would have lost me. Instead they gained some respect and maybe some additional business from viewers here.

Good tip on the pick, thanks - I'll be sure to check them out more carefully.

wow...there are still companies out there that believe in customer service! I just ordered a couple new sets of polywebs. If I have breakage issues with these, I may just be contacting elixer for a fresh set. Thanks for the tip on using fresh picks southpaw. I had never heard or thought of that before. With that being said though, I generally grab a new pick every time I change strings...I can't remember if i did that last time

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda