1 (edited by 06sc500 2008-03-22 17:47:23)

Topic: Acoustic solo?

Anyone have any recommendations for a good acoustic guitar solo I can learn? I don't really sing, so I play a lot of songs as solos (songs like Layla, Tears in Heaven, Staiway to Heaven, and Here Comes the Sun make good solos if you cut out the words).  I know a few acoustic solos, two of my favorties being Clapton's Signe and Eric Johnson's Song for George.  Any songs you have to recommend would be appreciated.  Thanks

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Acoustic solo?

Check out the latter half of Led Zeppelin 3

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Are these instrumental songs?

Switchfoot

classical gas

"Growing old is not for sissies"

No, they aren't instrumental, but would probably sound good that way

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Russell_Harding wrote:

classical gas

Thanks for the recommendation-great song, and really fun to play.  Just printed it off this morning, and I can play about half of it without pause (I need the music, though, memorization comes with repetition).  Clapton (even though this isn't his song) is in my opinion the world's best acoustic guitarist.  He also is one the greatest electric blues guitarists ever, though I like his unplugged songs better.  Again, thanks for recommending the song!

Switchfoot

Hi 06sc500
Russ's suggestion of Mason Williams Classical gas is a great choice.
Another good solo acoustic piece to learn is "Black mountainside" done by Led Zep's Jimmy Page.
The link to one of the tabs is here.

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/getso … n_side.tab

Plenty of good and not so good examples on Utube to get feel of the piece.

Ark

I would only learn Classical Gas if you are 100% ready for a finger bleeding, string snappin, brain bustin stressful 7 months! mad
that's what it was to me anyway, but i least i can play it fluently (and better than my guitar teacher) now smile

There's loads of Mason Williams songs you could do, like his version of Greensleeves, Flamenco Lingo...

And I know this is off topic and irrelevant, but my Great Uncle is good friends with him, and owns one of his pianos tongue

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

(0)==#paranormal guitar wrote:

I would only learn Classical Gas if you are 100% ready for a finger bleeding, string snappin, brain bustin stressful 7 months! mad
that's what it was to me anyway, but i least i can play it fluently (and better than my guitar teacher) now smile

There's loads of Mason Williams songs you could do, like his version of Greensleeves, Flamenco Lingo...

And I know this is off topic and irrelevant, but my Great Uncle is good friends with him, and owns one of his pianos tongue

If I would have tried to learn this song last year, it probably would have taken me 7 months.  However, I've been practicing my finger playing lately, so this one wasn't too difficult to learn.

Switchfoot

06sc500 wrote:

If I would have tried to learn this song last year, it probably would have taken me 7 months.  However, I've been practicing my finger playing lately, so this one wasn't too difficult to learn.

So we can both play it fairly well?
I can feel a guitar battle based around classical gas coming on smile

cool
okay??

11 (edited by 06sc500 2008-03-24 15:08:07)

06sc500 wrote:

LOL. . .you can really rock out to that song!

Switchfoot

06sc500 wrote:
06sc500 wrote:

LOL. . .you can really rock out to that song!

i couldn't help thinking that was sarcasm, and if it was, i can prove you wrong cool

cool
okay??

OOoh lets see videos gentelman marques of queensberry rules no over dubbing

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Try Layla by Clapton. The acoustic version.

tongue:P:P:P:P

gnomefry wrote:

Try Layla by Clapton. The acoustic version.

That was one of the first acoustic "solos" I learned, great song!

Switchfoot

Well guys, thanks for the suggestions.  I'm curretntly working on Classical Gas and I've looked at Black Mountainside-I didn't have it in me to learn the latter today though.  When I get my electric in a few days I'll be giving the old acoustic a rest for a while anyway-got to work on some Eric Johnson.  Again, thanks!

Switchfoot

Wow. . .Black Mountainside is a cool song, but it's probably the toughest one I've learned yet.  Maybe I'll try to learn the "White Summer" part of the song too.

Switchfoot

Hey 06sc500
If you get Black Mountainside down then check out "The Clap" by Steve Howe.
Tabs here http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.l … s/clap.tab
It's a real challange. Can be heard on Utube here http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q … arch_type=
Ark

arkady wrote:

Hey 06sc500
If you get Black Mountainside down then check out "The Clap" by Steve Howe.
Tabs here http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.l … s/clap.tab
It's a real challange. Can be heard on Utube here http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q … arch_type=
Ark

Well, I'll be busy for a while. . .right now I'm working on 3 songs.  Song for George, Classical Gas, and Black Mountainside.  I'll have to check this one out soon.

Switchfoot

Spend some time listening to Andy McKee and Leo Kottke and also jump back a few decades and start arranging big band jazz tunes to acoustic guitar - Take the A Train would be a good one.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

"Big Love" by lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac) sounds fantastic with or without words

Or try the acoustic version of "The man who sold the world"solo. The Nirvana version.

tongue:P:P:P:P

gnomefry wrote:

Or try the acoustic version of "The man who sold the world"solo. The Nirvana version.

very cool version of one of my favorite Bowie songs

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix