cool
okay??

Re: I JUST STARTED PLAYING GUITAR AND I WAS WONDERING IF U HAVE ANY TIPS

Weere I live we say howdy!

Old age and treachery...

Hello there ,
  ( now don't be bashful )

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Hi Shad:

MY best thought is to click on forum, pick a topic and start reading. Then when a question comes to mind, ask it. Somebody here will know the answer and help you. Seems like the question I see most often is the one about barre chords. They are a wonderful thing, so simple and yet so hard at the same time.

Oh, and it helps to play a lot.

Have fun.

"R"

7 (edited by Popdevil 2008-03-31 00:48:28)

I am new at learning how to play an Acoustic Guitar. I would say changing chords quickly is the number 1 thing I would work on. Do not worry about strumming yet. You can't get the strumming down if you are thinking about what fingers to put where on the next chord.

I have been learning for about 2 months and I am just now starting to get some feel for the strumming. Once you get G, D, AM and C down you should go to youtube and look for HOW TO PLAY KNOCKING ON HEAVENS DOOR if you want to play a song.

Check out the beginners course from Justin Sandercoe - All free (donations accepted) and great video lessons. Link:

http://www.justinguitar.com/

Been recommended here many times and was / is very helpful to me starting out.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hi There.  best tip....

PRACTICE EVRYDAY....  IF you cant practice in the house,   go busking....  doesn't matter how good you are, and you make some money too.

I startedwith three chords cos i could't make the Bm shape to save my life... that was when i was 15.  Now i busk whenever, and whereever i can.  except in the town where i work.  lol

enjoy..   pick a song you like and practice it everyday...  you'll get there

Gaz

Yep.  Practice every day.  Practice chord shapes, arpeggios, scales, picking patterns, and strumming patterns.  Do it over songs you like so that while you learn to play GUITAR, you are also learning to play SONGS you like. 

I wish I could take my own advice.  Scales and arpeggios are boring.  But your playing will improve dramatically if you learn them.  Playing music without good grounding in scales and arpeggios is like trying to build a house from the attic down.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

thnx guys