Topic: used harmonicas

Anyone know of places/persons that buy and refurbish used harmonicas? I have in excess of 500 spent harmonicas that I'm saving for someone to buy and repair or I'm gonna make a music related sculpture with 'em if I can't move 'em. I've heard tale of people fixing harmonicas but I've not been able to locate anyone/anyplace that's ligit.

Give everything but up.

Re: used harmonicas

Interesting topic Sowthpaw, I too play harmonica and have 20 or so that lost their sound.  I've taken a few apart and tried to repair with no luck. Special 20's seem to last the longest. Hey just love the sound of an acoustic guitar and a blues harp, makes for great kitchen jams.

Take care ... Badeye

one caper after another

I've just started trying to play the harmonica, key word being "trying". You guys know any good resources for beginners? I haven't found much on the Internet

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

500 used harmonicas - HOLY CRAP! You know - the thought of buying a used harmonica just isn't very appealing. Picturing all of the breath and spit flowing through that thing - I think I'd prefer a factory fresh one. smile

Man, but I didn't realize you could go through so many. How long does a harmonica last? 

I did find several resources for repair and repair kits - not anyyone that would buy used ones, but that you could pay to have yours repaired. Just google harmonica repair - there are also kits with tools, reeds, etc if you are interested in fixing your own.

I don't play (yet), but I found the topic interesting. You learn something new every day!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Ive played harps for many a year and up until recent i never knew they could be repaired,hohner makes several models the marineband,blues harp,hot metal the hot metal has plastic reeds and so far it shows no sign of loss of tone or volume the wooden reeds warp after time from the spit and need to be replaced but harmonicas used to cost $1.50 now you cant touch one for less then $20.00 or so.I came up with a design for a harmonica holder that attaches to the guitar and you can easley switch harps (differn't keys) it cost me over $700.00 to have the protype machined plus the patent i may yet find a company interested in mass producing it. im still cracking up over the darth vader vid on utube there is a link on a post by "old doll"(late lunch) i must have emailed all my musician friends a copy i have heard harmonica played in contemporary style that took this one time toy to a level i didn't know existed harps are great the best thing is you can stash them in your pocket and jam anywhere

"Growing old is not for sissies"

topdown wrote:

500 used harmonicas - HOLY CRAP! You know - the thought of buying a used harmonica just isn't very appealing. Picturing all of the breath and spit flowing through that thing - I think I'd prefer a factory fresh one. smile

Yes 500, and that's conservative. I'm a pack rat like that. When i started playing harmonica 20 years  or so ago I could get my Hohner Special 20's for a tad over 10 bucks per. Now I pay $17.58 plus tax and that's with my "buddy who runs a music store" discount. I use 5 harps regularly (C,D,E,G, and A) and they usually last about 4 weeks per harp. I used to get be lucky to get a week out of 'em before I started looping. Keep in mind I play 7-12 gigs a week, depending on how full the hotels are down here in sunny Florida. That's a lot of suckin' and spittin' in those harps. Eeek that sounds really bad but it's true. I rarely use bleach, peroxide, or any other chemical agent to clean my harps, just straight water and some good ole hard knee-slappin' the crud-out-of-'em.Maybe the ocassional splash of bleach to kill bacteria. I'm all about the new GREEN movement so my old harps could be my minute contributuion to a world-wide problem............. I'm still listening for any recycling suggestions.

Give everything but up.

I hear you Sowthpaw, the harmonica is not one to get passed down. I suggest you secrectly leave one here, there and everywhere, or maybee a display case where each one has a story.Thats a lot of stories to remember. My collection is about 26 in total,small compared to over 500.Good luck in your guest.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

With that many around they are begging to be tuned and played with.  Let me do some digging awhile back someone gave me some exelant information on how to tune harmonicas.

9 (edited by ghanlon 2008-03-06 00:46:23)

Okay, that was not to hard.  I found the notes.  These were sent to me from an awesome Harmonica/ Harp player.
I have posted them on the web at

http://ghanlon.com/harmonicanotes.html

ghanlon

Not quite relevant but I'm proud...its my uncle and i thought you guys would be interested!

http://www.wan.tv/view_video.php?viewke … ategory=mr