Topic: What's going on in MUSIC BUSINNESS

On Billboard albums, I noticed a strange phenomenon.
- At least 50% of the songs, especially since end nineties and 2000, you see, artists ft other artists.
Like Eminem ft lil' kim, or 50 cent ft béyonceé, and that list is getting bigger and bigger.
Can someone explain this phenomenon? Are these artists helping eachother's carrier? I really haven't a clue.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: What's going on in MUSIC BUSINNESS

I think it's a way to sell more records. plain and simple. If you're a big Eminem fan and you here him collaborate with someone else and you like the end result; it might make you buy the other artists album. I always wondered if the effort was pushed by the record company rather than the artists. It used to be artists would work with each other because they respected each other and wanted to but the recent unions seem more marketing driven than mutual admiration which is very unfortunate.
That being said, I personally will not go out and buy a Lil Kim album even if she worked with the resurrected Beatles...not my thing

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

You have a point here. Thanks for reminding me, but we have heard and seen it before.
THE ELVIS PRESLEY MUSICIANS touring and performing songs with ELVIS on a big screen, without instruments. So ELVIS sings, and his band plays. I have the impression that the DOORS did the same, playing while MANZAREK and co, are playing live.
IS THIS CHEATING THE AUDIENCE? maybe in theory, because I suppose that everybody who goes to a concert knows that they are dead.
Is this honest? I think so, but not the ELVIS circus. Manzarek, Krieger WERE "THE DOORS", they wrote songs. Morisson DIDN'T write their greatest hit "light my fire"

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I always thought Morrison was way over rated. I was never a huge Doors fan but if there were any credit due it wasn't to him. A Poet? I've read his stuff. It's silly not at all poetry. "I am the Lizard King I can do anything"???? How moving......In your opnion, were the Doors a special band? One that help shaped futire bands? Love them or hate them bands like the Beatles, Nirvana, Van Halen, Black Sabbath ushered in a new waves of music and influenced their peers.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

5 (edited by dguyton 2008-04-02 12:25:42)

Dennis Leary once said, "I can tell you the story of Jim Morrison's life in twelve words: I'm drunk I'm nobody, I'm drunk I'm famous, I'm drunk I'm dead."  That sums up my opinion on the man and the band pretty succinctly.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Doc, I think the Doors played under the name The Doors of perception, or was it The doors of the 21st Century??? with Ian Astbury singing with them. Not sure if they played with Mr Mojo Risin behind them on a screen, they may well have done though.

Quite like the Dennis leary quote, even though I'm a big fan of Jim Morrison/The Doors. Have to say I prefered the later stuff when Jimbo wasn't quite so slim n hansum. Thought his voice was much better when he was bearded n bloated. Each to their own though. smile

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.