Topic: WHEN DID YOU BECAME A FAN OF A BAND, AND WHICH BAND(S)

One of the first songs I really loved were: THE BEATLES with YESTERDAY, and the ROLLING STONES with RUBY TUESDAY. I started to "sing-a-long" with SAVED BY THE BELL by Robin GIBB, leading me to the BEE GEES.
Later, I heard in school, in 1971, from a classroom mate that he saw a band named deep purple and he became a huge fan. I was "infected" by the  Deep Purple bug, and THAT band became my first hero, almost together with CCR and Led Zeppelin.

So my story is, better my big favourites were:
1) DEEP PURPLE
2) LED ZEPPELIN
3) CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL (CCR)
I wanted to have all those albums. My ALL TIME FAVOURITE was CCR. I remember me that they performed in Belgium, in 1972 or 1973, I begged my parents to go, and they answered: YOU CAN GO, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE AT HOME AT 23.00h and IF I was at home later than 23.00h, I couldn't go out to dance for 2 months.
THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIENDS, and so I never saw my NUMBER ONES = CCR.
I did see end 1973 (First year at the university) AND Deep Purple AND Led Zeppelin.
I also became a huge PINK FLOYD fan, but only after their album "Wish you were here."
Other BANDS (a few years before the 3 I mentioned)
- BEE GEES
- BEATLES
- ROLLING STONES, but I loved the Beatles more.
WHAT'S YOUR STORY?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: WHEN DID YOU BECAME A FAN OF A BAND, AND WHICH BAND(S)

One of my earliest memories of music was a cassette my father had of The Who - Tommy, it was around the time of the Mod revival in the UK roundabout 1980. I was only about 7 or 8 years old back then, but me and my mates were aware of an older song by a band called The Who (My Generation) that all these Mods were into, so when I came across a whole albums worth of material by this group I thought I was well cool at the time. It didn't matter that My Generation wasn't on Tommy, cos I was blown away with that album and still am to this day.

When I was a bit older I got into New Order in a big way, along with SLF, Sex Pistols, Talking Heads and The Clash, all before my time with the exception of New Order, but everyone of them struck a chord with me all the same.

Round about the age of 17 I discovered the Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays along with Rave/Dance/Techno....call it what you will, and that was me for another few years.
Somewhere along the line I discovered the Stones, Beatles, Zeppelin, The Kinks, Small Faces, Oasis, OCS, Sabbath and many many other fantastic groups, but none of them (possibly with the exception of SLF) got me hooked as much as that first listen to Tommy.

So, on reflection I would say the groups that got me hooked on music were,

1, The Who.
2, New Order.
3, SLF.
4, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays. never could seperate these two bands.

Seems a shame to miss any out, but those were the ones that had the biggest impact on me.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

3 (edited by alvee33 2008-04-04 19:16:14)

1st band I really got into was Iron Maiden about '80/'81. I loved all that heavy metal stuff bit Maiden were IT for me. A couple of years later I heard a band called The Alarm and was blown away. Mike Peters was the man who inspired me to play, especially second time around ( I re-started about 2 years ago after a 15 year lay off). The Alarm - Best rock band in the world!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

my first band I got into was ACDC in 1980 when i was 10. I had £2.50 I tihnk it was to buy an album. I liked the cover and thought Angus looked different wit hthose horns so I bought it and loved it straight away. Loved them ever since.
that led me into rock music and punk, Stiff little fingers was the band for me when I was 12 and still love all thier songs.
1983, like Alvee, I discovered the alram and loved them ever since. also from 83 - about 87 I was heavily into big country,

1987 was the very big change for me, for music and lifestyle etc.
I got heavily into Guns'n'roses, Poison, Motley Crew, dogs d'amour,hanoi rocks,faster pussycat skid row. I grew my hair, wore cowboy boots, wore hairspray to keep my hair backcombed ( think axle rose in welcome to the jungle video) I became a male slag and went clubbing into glasgow at least twice a week to the solid rock cafe, the venue, the cathouse. From 87 to 93 ( when I met the wummin I ended up marrying) those were the best years of my life I think and it was all down to the music and friends. My life was a 4 or 5 year party.
as the saying goes, all good things come to an end!! but another good part of my life started after I got married but the music part like that I had experienced had frizzled out a bit.

And Al, did you know Dave Sharp is playing an Alarm set on the 18th of this month in Rockers up the town. He has got a band together to do this. I am led to believe it is songs from Alarm albums that Teh alarm today would not normally do. The red eyes are supporting them. £10 to get in the door.
I still dont know if I am going
and sorry to highjack this thread a bit lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Wow,I got to see my music hero last nite. Matt Minglewood played a one man show last nite at Fundy Folk,
which hosts artist in a century old church that is a great venue. I've followed minglewood since 1971 when he played in a band called 'Universal Power" which turned into
"The Minglewood Band". Earlier in his carrer he played guitar in bands called."Pepper Tree" and also "The Rockin Saints" Last nite he did a one man show called "The Story'
which accounts his musical journey and the fun things that happened to him and his band. He is now 61 years old and
to me has gotten better over the years. He played with such
greats as B.B King, Buddy Guy, Jeff Healy, Marshall Tucker,
and can hold is own with the best.  I got him to sign three
albums and he was surprised to see the first album he made with  the Minglewood Band. His brand of music is rock and blues and last nite he made it all blue. The place was sold out and evceryone raved about him afterwards.Over
the years I've seen him play about 30 times and never been
disappointed.He says he's not gonna stop and is working on
another album which I will add to my collection. So ya long
live Minglewood.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Minglewood played a second show last nite, I could'nt help
myself and went again.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

7 (edited by evsynator 2008-04-06 18:59:40)

Born in 53 in england my first songs i ever heard on the radio were a skiffle band called "lonnie donegan" who covered a lot of american stuff.  - i was about 5- 6 years old .We had radio programmes more dedicated to light music and kids storys and songs by Doris day ( i sent in a request for one of hers for my mum )
Us - the british public were witheld from more raunchy stuff for many years by the government. The beatles really shook the established world ( over here ) and it could not be contained from then on . THE FIRST SONG ? SHE LOVE YOU .

Anyone of a similar age will never - ever forget - that a feeling came over everyone that music would never - ever - ever be the same again . From that came offshore radio stations that the government tried to ban - the rest is history .....

A NICE MENTION FOR RADIO CAROLINE WOULDNT GO AMISS HERE .....
OR  RADIO LUXEMBOURG WHO INFRILTED THE AIRWAVES EVENTUALY MAKING THE BRITISH GOVERNMENT CONCEDE THAT PEOPLE WANT TO HEAR MORE ........

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

upyerkilt wrote:

And Al, did you know Dave Sharp is playing an Alarm set on the 18th of this month in Rockers up the town. He has got a band together to do this. I am led to believe it is songs from Alarm albums that Teh alarm today would not normally do. The red eyes are supporting them. £10 to get in the door.
I still dont know if I am going
and sorry to highjack this thread a bit lol

Ken

Yeah! I heard that too. I still like Sharpy, he's alway been a bit like the weird kid everyone avoids. Great guitarist and a helluva song-writer. In saying all that - I doubt if I'll be there to see it. Sounds great though. There's a wee bit about the gig on his website which you can read here http://www.davesharp.org/news.asp#Nw141

Good to hear that him and Mike are mellowing to each other again.

And I'm also sorry for hi-jacking this thread.

9 (edited by evsynator 2008-04-06 19:58:49)

Am I wrong ? /  ( I LOVE YOU TO BITS ALVEE ) or is this hijacking a thread ? ... sorry alvee - but i just find this one out of place . and if your sorry about hijacking then dont dont do it ...

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

evs,
dont blame Al. It was my fault!
After I typed a reply and mentioned the alarm like Alvee did I had to tell him about a guy from the alarm. Al was only replying to me on the thread where I mentioned it.
And at least he appologised like I did.
And for you to say dont hijack the thread to Al, wit hyou doing that you hikjacked it more, just as I am doing right now......ooops

carry on folk wit hthe origianl thread.

sorry again

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

lol lol lol

A band which I discovered more recentely are Everclear. I came to them very late, maybe 5 years ago or so. I'd never heard of them until they were mentioned quite often in a Christopher Brookmyre (fine Scottish writer and St Mirren supporter) novel I was reading. I checked them out and loved them, and then went on an ebay and amazon crusade buying the cd's (and there are plenty).

How's that evsynator? Back on track. wink