Topic: humbuckers patent 2737842

I own an original GIBSON LES PAUL 1968 CUSTOM, first year of the new production line.
I replaced the humbuckers by a set of 2 P-94, to have the sound of the first CUSTOMS, and because I have another 1978 CUSTOM.
Unfortunately, when I was staying AGAIN in hospital, they cleanded up my house, moving a desk to a smaller room, now my PC room.
Originals DISAPPEARED. Saturday05/04/2008, my daughters boyfriend found them back, a big relief for me, having already more than enough "physical" misery.
On the back of one is written patent 2737842, and as far I could find, this seems to be a PAF, on my 1968 CUSTOM.
- Is this correct?
- What is the impact on the value?
I'm not interested in changing back my set P-94, because THAT sound is so great.
I also saw DiMarzio on the other.
Can somebody tell me more about this?
THANKS

I found more information and I read that when they re-introduced the GIBSON LP CUSTOM in 68, they used a DiMarzio humbucker AND a 2737842 humbucker. So this guitar seems to be worth a little fortune, AM I CORRECT? (again)

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: humbuckers patent 2737842

Found this:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/G … s/History/

The PU-490, as the pickup was officially named, featured twin coils wired in parallel and out-of-phase, adjustable pole screws on one coil and German silver metal covers to resist outside electrical interference. Although the patent was granted in 1959, Gibson's humbuckers bore a small decal on the bottom baseplate with the words "Patent Applied For" until mid-1962. Gibson humbuckers from that early era (1957 to 1962) command princely sums in the vintage guitar market today, and in the eyes of knowledgeable players, they remain the Holy Grail of pickups.

Thanks Tibernius. I found exact the same. I googled that number on the back of 1 humbucker AND a DiMarzio, on the other.
What I found is: with these humbuckers, a lot of $$$$$$. In fact too much
A LP Standard 159 (best year) can go up to 500.000$, at this moment, the best investment. 
You need luck.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

can you teach me how to do the placking on guitar