Topic: Progress, WQhats yours?

Been playing acoustic for little over two years, just curious
what is your progress. I have about 250 songs on paper and can do 15 without book, others I need the book. also self taught. What is your progress???

....Badeye

one caper after another

Re: Progress, WQhats yours?

Been playing about the same time frame.  I started November, 2005.  I've got a book full of songs that I don't play well, and about three or four songs that I can play poorly without the book.  I rely on the book.  My progress has been pretty good for what I expected.  I know how to speed up my progress anytime I want, which is to start practicing scales and arpeggios with a pick, and doing it fifteen to thirty minutes a day.  But usually I'm playing/practicing to kick back and not really learn but just relax and enjoy myself.  So, I don't.  Someday I will become disappointed with myself, or get a desire to reach the next plateau, or whatever, and I will do my best to learn the B chord and practice scales and arpeggios, and maybe after doing that diligently a couple years I might become a mutant.  In the meanwhile, I remain a backporch picker/basement hack and am OK with that.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've Been playing everyday for 10 years and I know 3 chords and 3 songs. Not really it's kind of a family joke. I can play most songs by ear if not to complex and I love to play and sing,and that was one of my goals to be able to entertain myself and others.

I think playing with others helps more than anything with progress.

Good Luck Wayne

Later, Wayne P

badeye wrote:

Been playing acoustic for little over two years, just curious
what is your progress. I have about 250 songs on paper and can do 15 without book, others I need the book. also self taught. What is your progress???

....Badeye

About the same as yours, but I mainly play Punk Rock so it's easier! lol
I've been playing about...a year and a half? I honestly can't remember. I started when I was 5 then gave up after about 3 days...and started again.

Started playing August 2007, been playing 4-5 hours everyday since. It has really paid off, had my first paying gig last friday, was able to perform for four hours.

Chordie has been a fanstastic help, especially the forum part, I don't reply to many threads, but I do read them and I'd like to thank everyone who contributes to making this such a great community!

Theo

Been playing about 2 years (since I started over again after 15 year or so lay off). It was hard picking it up again but fun. Once I finally managed to put 2 or 3 chords together without getting buzzes and other funny noises it has been steady (slow) progress to a point where I am now better than I was in my late teens and  twenties (when I gave up). I have NEARLY got confident with barre chords, I can play most but not all well, and if I have the chords and words in front of me can play, probably simple versions, of almost anything. I really struggle to transcribe songs by ear but can get there if given lots and lots of time. Finger picking is beyond me, other than at it's most basic,  and I find a flat pick (plectrum) more comfortable.

I love a good sing-a-long with friends and family but most of all I just love guitar.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I've been playing steadily since Oct '06 ... open chord songs I hit with no problems, especially on country tunes (I can play about 10+ without tab) ... I still can't hit barre chords to save my life but my power chords are spot on ... I can play pretty much hit anything that involves power chords ... some of the harder ones I've seen (stuff from Green Day) involve quick and fast changes so I'm getting the timing down on those ... as far as songs, it's about the same ... I can play a handfull of tunes without tabs (mostly Green Day, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Social Distortion) ...

I'm in the process of learning my minor pentatonic scales and major scales ... the pentatonics I know three patterns by heart but I have much more to go ... the major scales will come next ... I'm hoping in a few years time I'll be able to play leads but right now I'm just doing rythym

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

First picked it up in '85. Took some lessons and lasted about a year. About 2 years ago I picked it up again with a little more maturity and focus. I feel I'm progressing better than I expected. Not too many chord progressions are out of my reach. That being said, I play because I love to play; that's it. I'm not obsessed with being great or even good for that matter. I really enjoy playing. I've played with some people that are way better than I am but I still have a great time. I get a thrill out of playing rythym for someone else. I wish I had the same outlook when I first picked it up. When I was young I was frustrated and wanted to be the best. Ahhh what perspective can be achieved in 20 years. If I have any advice to give (and maybe a I shouldn't advise) it's enjoy every moment of playing. When it stops being fufilling and fun... stop playing. I hope playing brings everyone as much joy as it brings me on a daily basis.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I've had my guitar now for about 15 years.  I tried to learn on and off throughout that entire time, but never made any progress, since I'd get frustrated with one string pluck every 3 minutes as I tried to read sheet music!!  Then someone told me the key to teaching yourself guitar about a year ago.  "Learn the basic chords" and it seems everything else has just fallen into place.  I finally picked up the guitar in January and havent put it down since.  I'm making incredible progress!!  I can play many beginner songs and am fine tuning my transitions on several basic barre chords like F, Bm, Gm.  Its been so much easier than I ever thought.  Its like someone removed the mental block from out of my way!  smile

I've been playing for about seven years - I'm in a band playing rythym - mostly power chords - I also play at parties and can play over 200 songs - but I need the music charts with me.I can play about 50 odd songs off by heart.I'm so proud - (pat myself on the back) If you learn 12 bar and a couple of turn arounds you will have literaly hundreds of songs at your finger tips.
BELIEVE IT OR NOT

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"

I simply try to get a little better today than I was yesterday. I've been playing about 26 years, 5 years right- handed and 21 years left-handed. It's my full-time job and I am one of the luckiest humans on the face of the earth to be able to support my family by playing music. At last count I was nearing 2,500 songs. But who knows, I've forgotten more songs than I know. That's why practicing, even for the everyday working musician, is so important. If one becomes stale or disinterested in the music one is playing it will be apparent to the audience. Diversity, variety, and new material is essential in long term existance in this business of music................

Give everything but up.

12 (edited by gnomefry 2008-04-10 19:06:26)

Been playing for 7 years so that's since I was 8. Been recently trying to play right handed,working good so far. And my first "gig" was in 6th grade. Also have been home recording. I plan on getting a degree in music in college. My first payed gig was last year unless you count a few parties I was paid for.

tongue:P:P:P:P

Thanks for the replies guys and gals, nice to hear where others are in their guitar playing.

take care ...  Badeye .

one caper after another