Topic: Easy barre chord songs

Can anyone tell me some easy songs or riffs that are played with barre chords. Also i've never read tab for barre chords, is it pretty easy to understand?

Its your life, live it

Re: Easy barre chord songs

Often when you read a tab for a rock song that's played with a barre you'll only see two or three notes. The idea is you are only strumming a few strings or that your strumming hand palm is muting the rest. Because the hand has two fleshy sides to it you can manage to move the pick, keep the central strings open and mute the upper and lower strings. It's very rock but tricky.

Try bar chords as substitutes for open chords. Sometimes they sound wrong, sometimes they open the whole sound up. I was trying 'Please Mister Postman' last night which is A F# D E all the way through. You could try it all as barres but somehow the D and E sound more insistent ('deliver the letter the sooner the better'). You'd also think an open A was easier to start on but I found barre A allowed you to slide down to F# quickly, getting the staccato start to the song.

Jumpin Jack Flash is a good barre riff. Also there's a version of 'She's Not There' that works real well with jazzy neck pickup tones. The Damned's 'New Rose' has a furious 4 barre part that appears throughout, fast but satisfying...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Wild thing, by the Trogs, and Blitzkrieg Bop, by the Ramones,  are relatively easy.
Your best bet is to take some of your favorite songs and play them using barre chords,  almost every three chord rock song can be played this way.

I hate barre chords. I have bony fingers.

tongue:P:P:P:P

Wicked Games by Chris Isaak!  The chords are Bm, A, E.

talk dirty to me by poison

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Twist and Shout by the Beatles is just Open D, Barre G, Barre A.... with some little accents on the pinky to stretch out

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Oh yeah also i would prefer songs played with power chords

Its your life, live it

Pinball Wizard by The Who

(The acoustic guitar part has lots of barre chords)

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

10 (edited by Tibernius 2008-03-28 12:29:55)

"Hitching' a Ride" by Green Day is played almost completely using an E-Based Barre.
Also "Macy's Day Parade" by Green Day uses just about all of the standard Barre chords.

That's why I can't play either of those songs. I hate Barre chords, I can just about manage an E-based now but I can't play an A-based barre.

"The Ocean" by Led Zeppelin will improve your barre chords if played correctly, and it will improve some hammer ons and pull offs too.

My guitars: Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogony and Ibanez AE40 TEL acoustic.
My equipment: Peavey 100w combo (198?) and an ancient (1970's?) Crate 100w combo. A PODxt.

(0)==#paranormal guitar wrote:

Pinball Wizard by The Who

(The acoustic guitar part has lots of barre chords)

Actually, forget I said that, it's not simple at all

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Try Jack Johnson's "Times Like These" - All E shaped barre chords

Here's a Justin Sandercoe how to vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SojqfX-OQRA

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

american chaos theory wrote:

talk dirty to me by poison

lol I like ur sig

How about "Mister Jones" by Counting Crows? Pretty easy, and a couple of bar chords.

Skeeter Davis' version of  "My Last date" is a slow 3/4 timing song in the key of "C". Not reaql difficult - C....F....G

Nela