Topic: MOST FAMOUS ONE HIT WONDERS & WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM

We didn't have this one. THOSE WHO WERE REAL FAMOUS, WITH ONLY ONE SONG.
- ARE THESE PEOPLE 1 HIT wonders?
- Didn't they write other stuff?

- SPIRITS IN THE SKY            Norman Greenbaum (I believe he is a TWO HIT wonder, having also success in 1968, under the name Dr. West's Medicine Show and Junk Band, he recorded the novelty hit "The Eggplant that Ate Chicago".
- KUNGFU FIGHTING                  Carl Douglas
- TAKE ON ME                           A-ha
- I'M TOO SEXY (for my shirt)     Right Said Fred
- COME ON EILEEN                     Dexy’s Midnight Runners
- TAINTED LOVE                        Soft Cell
- MACARENA                             Los del Rios

Probably also, the ZAGER & EVANS hit = IN THE YEAR 2525

I ordered and received a CD by NORMAN GREENBAUM. If you listen to the tracks, 75% is folk, some mixed with BLUES, BLUEGRASS, the ONLY song, if you never heard of "spirits in the sky" will be THE song, you will love at the spot.
What happened with these 1 hit wonders? They came out from NOWHERE? I think they were active in music business since some years, even the fact that some of these guys came out from nowhere. Others, trying years and than...
Take JIMI HENDRIX, he was more than gifted, but the first years he suffered a lot. Until the day a guy named Chas Chandler came to see him. The rest is history, and sooner or later he would be discovered anyway.
LET'S DISCUSS!!

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: MOST FAMOUS ONE HIT WONDERS & WHAT HAPPENED TO THEM

Lieven

from the top of my head and a god long term memory

A-ha also sang and had a hit with some other song about a TV.
-    Right Said Fred I think have reformed last year to do soem tours to rake in the money. they also had anohter top ten hit or two after that song then faded away

Dexy’s Midnight Runners sang "geno" and also "Jackie wilson says" dont think they are doing anything now, there was talk on the radio a few years ago that the lead singer Roland was doing a "normal" job and was skint.

Soft Cell were not a one hit wonder band, they had several hits, "babysitter" say hello wave goodbye" and quite a few more songs. Marc Almond went on to be gayer than he was in the early 80's and came out with some really bad solo stuff that got nowhere, he crashed his motornike a few years ago and was on deaths door. I thin kthis is another one of those "jump on the bandwagon" groups from the 80's that are doing reunion tours.

now one hit wonders......
the birdie song
grandma we love you
ah shut up a ya face

hopefully never see any of them again,lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

There's a guy who lives nearby yours truly named Bertie Higgins. He had a hit song in 1982 titled "Key Largo". He has a home here in Florida but is playing a dinner theatre place in Bronson, MO. Kind of a "hillbilly-Vegas thing", if you will.
........"we had it all, just like Bogie and Bacall."................
'Member that song?............

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

There's a guy who lives nearby yours truly named Bertie Higgins. He had a hit song in 1982 titled "Key Largo". He has a home here in Florida but is playing a dinner theatre place in Bronson, MO. Kind of a "hillbilly-Vegas thing", if you will.
........"we had it all, just like Bogie and Bacall."................
'Member that song?............

Unfortunately, I do remember. It reveals my age and also pains me to remember that song. I hope he made and saved his money

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Kung foo fighting  - karl douglas . he openly admitted he didnt give a toss about it being a one hit wonder - it made him for the rest of his life . nice work if you can get it ...

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

evsynator wrote:

Kung foo fighting  - karl douglas . he openly admitted he didnt give a toss about it being a one hit wonder - it made him for the rest of his life . nice work if you can get it ...

Funny how everyone remembers that song, I wouldn't mind just ONE hit like that, anyway, he actually had a follow up single, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKy9ulkIPgo  does this sound familiar?

There was also Joe Doce's "Shaddup Your Face" which prevented Ultavaox's "Vienna" from the number one spot in the UK in the 1981.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

roger,
i mentioned tis song in chordies caht about the worst songs ever.lol

terrible song  but it managed to keep ultravox's Vienna of the number one spot

kren

My favorite 1 hit wonder includes one of my favorite lines ""I want a doctor to take a picture so I can look at you from inside as well" - Maybe I'm twisted (no, I'm sure I am), but I just love that line - there is a fine line between genius and crazy and I try to cross it frequently! big_smile :

The Vapours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpCcelpvkps

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Yes dear Andros67, you have a point here = FUNNY HOW MANY PEOPLE REMEMBER that song.
NOT ONLY THIS ONE.
- Those 1 hit wonders "pop-up" around the summer holiday period.
- The "1 hit" they wrote has it all, a catchy tune, I don't talk about lyrics, but you can ask 1000 people or playing a few 1 hit wonders ' songs in front of an audience and 90% is able to sing that song. THAT IS STRANGE.
My guess is, like I told, most are "great" and "catchy tunes" (GREAT doesn't mean I LIKE THE SONG) but a hit 30 or 40 years old, and you recognise it = amazing. And of course, a lot of them were playing since years.
- YUMMI YUMMI YUMMI I GOT LOVE IN MY TUMMY, by the ARCHIES?
What is the definition of a 1 hit wonder: having one big hit?, I think it's more diversified. They had other hits too, but were they sold 5.000.000 copies, they drop to 1.000.000, and yes, they do have a place in music land.
I think that this phenomenon is more an 80ties phenomenon. (I create a topic on this).
Music and styles came and went. CULTURE CLUB (what a name) had some great hits, and THERE STARTED "BOY GEORGE'S" problem. Dressed as a woman, and having some great numbers. Unfortunately they weren't able to continue succes.
IT MUST BE REALLY HORRIBLE to be a GOD one day, and they higher you get, the deeper you fall.
If you want to see and hear more, I just found a great website, with 1 hit wonders from the 50ties to the year 2000
I found a great link
http://www.onehitwondercentral.com/

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

upyerkilt wrote:

roger,
i mentioned tis song in chordies caht about the worst songs ever.lol

terrible song  but it managed to keep ultravox's Vienna of the number one spot

kren

it was actually in this thread on my last reply I mentioned this song, not in chordies chat.

se what drink does to your memory and coordination lol

Ken

Sorry Ken,

I guess I need a trip to the optician or perhaps to imbibe and extra dram or two.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

The chambers brothers "time", bo diddly "hey bo didly," "endless sea"(cant recall the artist)

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Probably also, the ZAGER & EVANS hit = IN THE YEAR 2525

I found this website on Danny Zager. He alters guitars to make them easier to play

http://www.zagerguitar.com/index.php?ev … itars.list

Cheers
Howard

My acoustic trio Website
[url]http://www.accidentallyacoustic.co.uk/[/url]

i read an interview with the guy from a-ha yesterday. he said that even though his kids aren't into his music they like take on me. must have been something special about that song hey?

"In a mad world it is the mad who are sane" Craig Nicholls