Topic: Question on lowering adjustable bridge on Alvarez Regent.

I have an acoustic and it’s pretty old. I bought it with the action really high. I want to lower the action on it due to corporeal tunnel. I tried to lower it before and I got this nasty fret buzz. Should I get the frets redone and then have some one drop it or just leave it the way it is??? It has a really good sound so I don’t want to start hacking around on it. Any suggestions???
Thanks 3CF.

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

Re: Question on lowering adjustable bridge on Alvarez Regent.

Hi 3CF ,
   Without more details , it's hard to say . Are you just starting out , or been playing a while ? The first guitar I ever had way back when I was ten , was an old Stella accoustic with action that you could drive a truck through . It was badly in need of a neck reset , so there was no fixing it . Learning on that guitar made me a better player . When ever I got to play one of my friends guitars , I could really
rip ...........
   Back to your question.......
If you decide to take it in somewhere , be sure to get an estimate so you can decide if it's worth the cost to you .
    If the neck is in good shape , it might only have one fret standing proud of it's neighbors . You can probably fix this yourself with a sanding block . Then try lowering the action again .
   Let us know what you end up doing ........

Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Thanks Jerry!
    I have been playing Guitar for about 5 years and Mandolin for 7 and percussion for really long time.
The guitar like I stated is really old and the neck is in grate condition. It has a truss rod so I can get to it if I need to.
I really appreciate your advice. What is a good way to check and see what fret is higher than the neighbors? Oh I also have installed a Rare Earth (Fishman) Single coil pickup as well. I am looking forward to adding a (Fishman) mandolin bridge pickup soon to the electric/acoustic Fender I have. The one on there now is junk. The input jack on the side keeps unscrewing itself and creates bad connection, cut in and out time to time. I primarily play my own music and Contemporary Christian/Praise and Worship music. I just not to long ago my wife and I had a baby boy, so I wrote a song for his dedication service. I hope he likes it.      3CF

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

Hey 3CF ,
   I bet it really sounds nice .
In my experience Fishmans are good stuff .
   You can use a straight edge to check the frets without taking the strings loose . You'll want to use a short one though because the neck is bowed slightly . Basically just checking maybe five at a time should tell you what you need to know . Good luck............
               Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Cool Thanks Jerry! I keep ya posted. 3CF

Henry Van Dyke