Topic: First and Best concert you went to

I'm sure everyone has a "First" concert they went to and a "Best" concert they went to ... what are yours?

Mine:

First - Iron Maiden / 1992 "Fear of the Dark" tour with Anthrax "Persistance of Time" opening in San Antonio, TX .. absolutely loved it and I'm going to see them again on May 21st for the "Somewhere Back in Time" tour

Best - The Cranberries / 1996? "No Need to Argue" tour ... simply amazing ... they sound just like they do on CD ... and Delores and the drummer were lights-out

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Re: First and Best concert you went to

I've been to literally thousands of shows in venues ranging from massive stadums to tiny little taverns.  I've come to the conclusion that the venue plays a huge part in any show.

Couple stand out though.

Any show at Iguana's in TJ is awesome.  Saw Janes Addiction there and Social Distorition.

Steve Earle at the Moore theater, as well as Bella Fleck.  I've seen Bella half a dozen times, though.  Other than Telluride, that was the best one.

Any show at the Gorge at George.  Except for Santan, who has kind of a "small venue" feel and didn't really fill it up.  Lenny Kravitz there was awesome, as was Rage Against the Machine.

Any show at Dimitreo's Jazz Alley in Seattle - Awesome food.  Bill Frizell there was fantastic.  Maynard Fergeson, not so much.

I'll see Wiley and the Wild West anywhere, at any time.

I love live sets.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Sweet Jerome ... Iguana's in TJ ... that mean Tijuana?  lol ... if so, I bet both JA and SD were awesome ... I love local bands and cover bands playing in local bars as well ... in Destin, Florida at Fudpuckers they had a cover band (Misdemeanor) that played great ... beach bars are great for outdoor sets

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

my first concert was big country in glasgow barrowlands. the venue where every band wants to play in Scotland for its superb atmosphere.

Perhaps one of my best concerts was living colour in barrowlands,
but also John Prine in the Royal Glasgow Concert hall last year. For listneing to a guitar getting played clearly, every note, this was the best palce to hear it.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

First concert was Chuck Mangione on his Feels So Good tour seen at Penn State sometime in the late 70's. 

Best concert I went to was a comedy concert featuring David Brenner.  It wasn't that Mr. Brenner was so funny (he was), but the company.  It was the first 'formal' date with the person to whom I've been married for twenty years and with whom I am raising a family. 

If it's got to be music concerts, I'm thinking that my favorite concert is the campfire sessions alongside the New River in West Virginia when my buddies and I go camping and fishing.   Or alongside the Potomac when I was playing guitar and my buddy Al sang (Al_from_WV who pops up from time to time on the Songwriting forum). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

1st was Aerosmith with Pat Travers and Rose Tatoo in 82
Best Grateful Dead Providence Civic Center "87. Love them or hate them, the shows are amazing.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

First - Aerosmith, 1978 Draw the Line tour, I was 14. I was sober, they were wasted.

Best - Hard to say, like jerome, I have been to hundreds of shows, seen great concerts at arenas, but I really appreciate the closeness found at small venues. There used to be a small jazz club near my home that I would frequent regularly when I was in my 20's - quiet background music during dinner hour - then from 11:00 or so till close, they would crank up the tunes - I heard many great artists there. 

Hard to say what was the best concert - kind of funny though, I saw Aerosmith again (for about the 6th time) just a few years ago - I was wasted - they were sober!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

First (probably around 1966 or 67) - The Association (Along Comes Mary, Cherish, Never My Love)

Best was Dianna Ross, Andy Gib, Barbara Mandrell and Sisters at a Bob Hope USO Show Christmas Special around 1979 or so.  When Dianna Ross sang . . . it was so good it gave you cold chills.

Eric Clapton at the fillmore west,he played with alot of other blues greats that night. I also got too see Jimmy reed ,about a month before he passed away. Saw neil young in palo alto  in a small club before he got real popular. Damn my age is showing/////

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

First was Motorhead in Leeds Queen's Hall (pretty much a garage) in 1982.  Best was either

U2 Unforgettable Fire Tour 1984 Brixton Academy
Bon Jovi New Jersey Tour Birmingham NEC
Stereophonics Shepherds Bush Empire 2005
Bob Dylan/Van Morrison Sheffield Arena 2004 ish

But probably Green Day Milton Keynes Bowl American Idiot in 2006

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

Eric Clapton & Band played at the old Met Center in Bloomington, MN in 1974 as part of his comback tour. He was a drug addict before that, kicked drugs, made a great comback.  He toured with Santana, and Santana & band opened for him.  At the end they jammed together on several songs, most notably "Eyesight to the Blind."  Best concert I ever saw, followed closely by 3 Elvis concerts I went to in the 1970's when Elvis made his own comeback.  Great times indeed!

I saw one of Motorhead's first gig's at Birmingham (UK) as a support act to Hawkwind who Lemmy had just left, way back in the 70's. (awesome)

Also a standout for me was David Bowie at Wolverhampton also back in the 70's as he was going through the Ziggy Stardust / Alladin Sane crossover. He played a double set because the support act failed to turn up. Nice of him wasn't it?

And on a trip to the States, I managed to catch Elvis Costello at I think (someone correct me here) an outdoor gig in Marlboro? Virginia.
His support act was The Crash Test Dummies, (ever heard of them?)
It was definitely  in Virginia (I wasn't that stoned)

The Smiths before they were famous (I attended a university in Northern England in the early 80's).

They're all good for different reasons, there can't be a definitive best gig for me.

cheers

David

acmecorp wrote:

It was definitely  in Virginia (I wasn't that stoned)

I'm afraid you were David.  We here in Virginia do not permit fun.  Moral Majority and whatnot.  It must have been North Carolina.  big_smile

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

First: I think it was Mando Diao - Hurricane Bar i was about 6 years old

Best: When i saw John Fogertys consert in a place in sweden called piteå so much energy! He switched guitar for every song tongue then a woman came up from the ocean(swimmed with cloths on from a boat) it was the best consert i have ever seen..

In a few weeks i am going to see bruce springsteen live in göteborg smile

First- "Reelstrings", at a party or something, it's one of my Granddad's many bands. I think I've seen them all now...
"Saxon Scifflers" (saw them at their 60th anniversary gig), "Fair Trade Duo" (which is basically Reelstrings with a different name and no drummer, i don't really see the point), "Reelstrings" (duh), and "Soho Leg-Ends" (I know all the guys in that one, and I'm their only listener on last.fm and I put their music on there, great band.)

Best- This one's easy.
Newton Faulkner
That was so amazing big_smile He has an amazing sense of humour too... he sung Spongebob Squarepants, which was hilarious, and almost all of his album "Handmade by Robots" and a couple of cover songs, too
I could go on about him for ages after seeing him at The Cambridge Corn Exchange, but I'll bore you. tongue
Second best was "Flook" on my 14th birthday, that was awesome too. they played Happy Birthday for me ^^

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

First: The Cavern Beatles

Best: Newton Faulkner, December '07.

He rocked.....:D

[url]www.freerice.com[/url]

otis redding after that neil young

"Growing old is not for sissies"

first:elton john(cant remember when)
BEST: CROWDED HOUSE october 31 wellington tsb bank arena 2007

First was the "Beach Boys" 1974

The best was the Maine Folk Group, "Schooner Fare" at Deertrees Theatre in Harrison Maine.  Approx.  1995-96

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I've only been to one concert, The Vans Warped Tour in Cleveland OH. I'm going back July 17th. The best band i saw there was Coheed and Cambria. They put on an awesome show, after a monster storm. Look up Storm at Cleveland Warped tour 2007 on youtube to see some vids of what it was like, and the aftermath. It made for a memorable first experience...

First - Steven Curtis Chapman or Lonestar (don't remember / i was young!!)
BEST - Toby Mac or Hawk Nelson, i've seen them both at least twice and their concerts just get better every time i see them!!! wink

*<3*jammingurl93*<3*

Hi Guys,

Saw Bruce Springsteen at Old Trafford, Manchester 28/06/08 ... possibly the best performer ever!

Highlights were (for me) The Rising, Because The Night, Trapped, Born To Run, Rosalita and Mary's Place

what a night

I'm the son of rage and love

ShadyWilbury wrote:

First: The Cavern Beatles

Best: Newton Faulkner, December '07.

He rocked.....:D

You saw THE BEATLES?!?!
Dude, thats unfair, couldn't I have gone instead?

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

24 (edited by GoodbyeBlueSky 2008-06-23 19:00:01)

First - Zutons, Westonbirt
And Best - Only been to the one so far!

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

Johnny Winters touring with Slade at the London Gardens.Can't remember the year but they both rocked the house.Now that I think of it...I can't remember much of the concert either LOL.
Good Thread
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)