1 (edited by Popdevil 2008-03-30 17:55:27)

Topic: which is better, light or medium acoustic guitar strings

The subject says it all. I know it also depends on the person and the guitar. I want to find out from people who have been playing for years what they use. I like the lights because they are easier on the fingers but med may sound better. Thoughts?

Re: which is better, light or medium acoustic guitar strings

Hi There,

I go for medium now cos of the sound.  I got it into my head years ago that lights break quicker,   lol

Gaz

Well, I haven't been playing for years, but I have done a bit of experimenting with strings.  If I were to play mediums, my guitar would be far too loud for me to be heard singing.  Some may think that's a good thing.  Many, in fact.  Nevertheless, I prefer light strings for that reason.  Also, my guitar came set up for ultra-lights, so even using lights requires me to take it back for a set-up, which I don't feel like doing.  Not that it's a bad thing to do, I just don't feel like doing it.  To use mediums renders the guitar almost unplayable (but it would be fine if it were set up, but we've already been down that road). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Well, I haven't been playing for years, but I have done a bit of experimenting with strings.  If I were to play mediums, my guitar would be far too loud for me to be heard singing.  Some may think that's a good thing.  Many, in fact.  Nevertheless, I prefer light strings for that reason.  Also, my guitar came set up for ultra-lights, so even using lights requires me to take it back for a set-up, which I don't feel like doing.  Not that it's a bad thing to do, I just don't feel like doing it.  To use mediums renders the guitar almost unplayable (but it would be fine if it were set up, but we've already been down that road). 

- Zurf

I second that Zurf. String it with what your guitar wants/needs. If you're not sure, you'll know once you experiment, I too use lights.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I agree with geoaguiar and zurf, it's what you want out of your guitar. I use medium cause hand strength has never been an issue for me and I'm fussy about how my guitar sounds. But if your learning or have weaker fingers/hands, light strings are the way to go or else you'll get frustrated with playing. Every player is different and every player has their own preferences and different reasons for those preferences. Go with what works for you.

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

I disagree with Zurf and Geoaguiar. To my ear light and ultra light strings on an acoustic sound awful (I feel that these strings were developed to be bent on electric guitars). Medium and heavy, although harder to play with give the full rich sound expected with an acoustic.

As to them being too loud and drowning out the singing I have never had that problem. I normally play with my fingers as you can get so much variation of sound by using nail, skin, one or several fingers, strumming or picking which you cannot get with a plectrum.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi guys ,
   I play x-lights on my accoustics and heavy on my electric . I think the x-lights ring nicer on the accoustics .
I frequently drop tune my electric and that does'nt work real well with light strings . I've been playing so long that it does'nt seem to bother one way or the other for fingering .
   Do some experimenting and you'll find what's right for you ..........
                        Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

8 (edited by cytania 2008-03-31 15:10:26)

Your acoustic guitar is setup with an intonation which ties in to the strings the maker expects to be used. You can usually go one up or down from the recommended gauge without problems. On archtops a floating bridge can be moved to correct intonation (so long as the neck takes it). Electrics usually have moveable saddles although they do not always move enough for all gauges.

To check intonation tune with an electric tuner on all strings. Now fret at the twelth fret lightly*. The pitch should be the same. Repeat this across all the strings. If your gauge is wrong for the guitar you may find the twelth fret always sharp or flat. Older guitars can need a correction called a bridge reset, experienced luthiers only.

* You'll be amazed how much the pressure you fret with effects the sharpness of the note ideally you want the intonation to match your regular playing pressure. Trouble is when you are tuning you tend to overdo it.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

The heavier the strings the better the tone. The lighter the easier it is to play them.

Eddie

What's in a name... on acoustic I use D'addario phosphor bronze .012 - .053 - which they classify as light - any heavier shreds my fingers and I prefer the comfort and general purpose tone.

Its best to keep a note of the strings you like the sound of - because you'll be amazed how much difference they make - which makes comparing guitar tones even more confusing!

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

I have went with the suggestion of lights on 6, 5 and 4 and med on 3, 2 and 1. I like this combo pretty well. The high strings are killing my fingers and the lower strings don't have as much of a toy guitar sound.

I find lighter gauge strings are harder to keep tuned easier to bend etc kinder on the fingers and mostly a thinner tone.
I play medium Martins on the electro acoustic good allrounder nothing fancy reasonable cheap so change them fairly regularly.
A good tone which holds fairly well and keeps in tune who could ask for more...... smile
Ark

I use medium Elixirs. 3CF

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

Custom light D'ardario's (whatever) I get TOOOOOOOO loud with mediums or heavier strings.

Nela

Lights allow for string bending and are easier on the bridge, which is why I like them. Especially on a 12-string, mediums can overstress the bridge, causing it to crack. Not good. And NO bridge should be floating or adjustable. Merely the sign of cheap craftsmanship.
I have played for almost 40 yrs and tried everything there is to try. Alot of it is just personal preference when it comes to brands. I have settled on Elixir cause they last longer and are worth the extra $$. As far as the sound coming from the guitar, when some say it's too loud with mediums or too soft with lights, that's more of an indication of their guitar. I play an old Alvarez Yairi from 1976 that has a jumbo body and puts out great volume with light gauge strings.

Trial and error is your best bet. Use what YOU like.

I play a jumbo, as well. When I play for my wife she say's I'm too loud and too fast. Hmmmmm.

Nela

So I started playing with .10's  and I've been playing with .12's for a while now, but my intonation is off--I'm sharp particularly on my 6th string.  If my guaitar is set up for lights, if I went back to .10's could it take care of my intonation problem?

medium or light - got 2 guitars each with different strings - depends on what song you are playing ...

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

Well My list goes like this:
Morgan Monroe (spruce & EIR) I use elixer poly mediums
S&P Pro (Spruce & EIR) Elixer poly X-lights
S&P Pro (Spruce & Maple) Dean Markley alchemy gold lights
'79 Yairi (Spruce & Burled mahogany) Gibson Masterbuilt 11-50's  These also go on my '74 Epiphone Ft-570sb
Garrison G20 get's Martin marquee 10-47's
Taylor 314E -I'm still playing with this one but I believe shes going to elixer pb lights... They sound best so far...
The others ussually get Martin lights as I usually have them on hand...

It really does depend on the guitar. The woods come into factor and especially the build of the guitar. The top is braced to vibrate under a certain amount of tension. Putting light strings on a heavily braced/built guitar will kill the tone as the top is not under enough tension to vibrate to it's fullest potential. For example I have a Alzarez Pf85Scvv 12 string that I strung as a six for the extra room on the fretboard. For her to sound good I had to go up to heavy strings to maintain the tension of the missing 6 strings on the soundboard. On the other hand a lightly built guitar needs only light or xtra light strings to perform properly. Putting heavier strings on these can over power the top and cause premature bellying. Then once we decide the gauge that works best we have to start considering the various string compositions.....Bronze, Phosphere bronze, etc... I'd hate to know the money I've spent on strings alone trying to find the right ones for each guitar....lol Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Interesting post Pix - I have been searching for the "right" strings since I started playing - and I have only 1 primary guitar! ( instead of the 6 + "others" you mention). The thought that different strings work best on different gits makes sense, but just the idea of the additional trial and error tires me!

I'm done with elixers (see previous posts) due to breakage. I've tried many other brands, and do believe I have settled on the Markley "Alchemy" (what I have on now) or Martins - the Claptons Choice have great tone, seemed to last better than others and stay in tune great. My new Tak cutaway doesn't  have the volume of the cheap Yammi dread I had been playing, so I am thinking of going to mediums. So, I'll just be adding another chapter to the endless search.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Wow, tough topic!   I've had to compromise on strings over the years.  Getting older and having to play longer sets has driven me to play .011's on my acoustics instead of .012's (which i prefer for the tone).  The fingers like the .011's better.  I've also downgraded the dobro from .013's to .012's and still stick with .010's on the electrics.  I still play .012's on my jumbo that is tuned in open G.  Remember it's a compromise.  My theory is: to play the fattest strings that you can stand.  Not for one or two songs, but for three or four 50 minute sets..

Now available in 5G !