Topic: Sequencers

I am a former working musician that is looking to get back into the swing of things so to speak.  My goal is to perform as a solo guitarist w/vocals at the local bars for happy hours and so forth.  I am looking for a sequencer to compile drum & bass lines etc. for accompaniment.  My on-line search has led me to the Yamaha QY-100.  Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about this unit or make any suggestions about another model.

Re: Sequencers

Sequencers are lame man. They take the human touch and soul out of the music. Personally I prefer on the fly looping. I use the Boss RC 20. It took me a few gigs to get comfortable with it but now I couldn't imagine playing without it. The cool thing about looping is that you assemble the tune right before the audiences eyes. My opinion on sequencers is just that, my opinion but I beg of you don't use one !!!! I think you'll find that respect of your peers and audiences will be greater with "live looping" than pre-recorded sequencing. Good luck with your gigs.

Give everything but up.

Thanks for the imput.  I sort of feel the same way however my knowledge of new tchnology is virtualy nil.  What I want is something that can add some fullness to my performance, I'll be playing popular tunes from the 40's to the present day. Will live looping do this for me and where can I find out more about it.

That's the cool thing thing about looping. New computerized technology pretty much doesn't factor in. It's a foot pedal with 2 inputs and 1 output. You'll have to get a little creative but it's really worth it. Look at Boss RC 20 and DigiTech makes one too. I believe it's called Jam Man or something like that. If you wanna see it in use Give Keller Williams a look. I do music from way back to current artists and it works for me.

Give everything but up.

So a live loop means that I play a song live with the tape rolling, so to speak and when I want to play a solo for the instrumental section, the looper plays the song back as I play live.  If I have that part correct, what about songs, for example Bozz Scaggs "Low Down" where the instrumental section changes cords and then goes back to the verse. Also how can live looping add a bass line and drum beat. Pardon me if I seem thick headed about this.  I want to make the right choice and I too don't like "canned" music.

You'll have to do one phrase at a time, unless the symetry is the same all throught the song. You'll have to pick and choose your parts that you want to sample. For example, I'll sometimes loop a guitar intro and solo over the looped prt. Sometimes I'll solo over outro parts and sometimes during the middle of a song I'll do a little loopy loop. You're not gonna be one those "sounds just like the record" guys but looping adds so much individuality without following the masses and sequencing. I also have a seperate stage mic that I use for percussion. I'll loop a guitar part then play the top part of a djembe drum. After I run through a measure I'll play the bottom of the drum. Finally, I'll use a shaker or a casaba. This emulates the snare or toms, the bass drum, and the high hat. Your possiblities are endless with looping and you're not confined and restricted like you are wuth pre-recorded music. Hope this makes sense.

Give everything but up.

Thanks SouthPaw,  I think I got it.  I'm not sure if that's the route I'll take but I like the originality of looping.

For those who are interested (probablt no one), after confering with my good friend Bruce, my Luthier/Guitarist and jam partner, I'm going with Southpaw's suggestion and looping.  My choice is a Digitech Jamman.

Good choice T. The world is a better place with less sequencers. Best of luck to you. You're gonna love the loop.

Give everything but up.