Topic: F#m and Bm

Is there an easier way to play F#m besides the ones listed on the chord chart? I've seen some ppl play it w/ 3 fingers, but didn't catch the exact fingering...and how bout Bm?

Re: F#m and Bm

I know you want an easier way but I'd really recommend practicing the barre versions of these chords. Yes they are difficult and tiresome at first but once you get it you want belive how much easier it is to just move the forms around the fretboard... Not to mention the fuller sound and the ease of adding variation to your strumming patterns using barre chords. I'd personally prefer to play barre over open any day....It just so much simpler once you build up the stregnth. Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I agree with Pix, play the bar, it'll pay off later. If you learn that shape you're halfway to playing some cool songs like Sweet Melissa by the Allman Bros.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

The beauty of barre chords, is after you learn a couple of shapes & learn the fret board a little, you can play just about anything without learning a new chord form.  A lot of my friends see a flat, or a sharp, and they don't have a clue what to do--knowing barre chords, you just bump the barre up one fret for a sharp, and down one for a flat--it's easy.  Stick to it & practice the barre chords more than the open chords--you'll be glad you did!

I agree, just barre them. It took me forever to figure out barre chords and I was convinced I would never get it right, but now I'm glad I did.

I'm a musician; I can [color=blue]Handel[/color] it!

No.  One of the universe's most vexing and horrible problems to which there is no solution is an easier way to play barre chords.  It is one way we can know for sure, despite the many kindnesses and beauty we may see, that we are not yet in heaven.   In heaven Bm and F#m will be easy, and there will be no cause for playing an "A" shaped barre chord ever.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

In heaven Bm and F#m will be easy, and there will be no cause for playing an "A" shaped barre chord ever.

awesome. looking forward to that then smile

I guess the overall consensus is to learn it the hard way...fineeeee

thks for taking the time to reply everyone!

Barre chords make playing so much easier and chord changes so much faster. I wish I would have forced myself to learn them years ago instead of avoiding songs that contained them. I think I will always avoid songs that have those four fret wide chords, my hands are to small.

frankfef wrote:

I think I will always avoid songs that have those four fret wide chords, my hands are to small.

Nah.  It's the same problem.  You just have to train your hands to articulate and spread your fingers.  Pick up a bass, or a mandolin, and you'll be banging out four and five fretters in no time.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

barre chords are essential to most pop, rock blues and country songs.  Learn them.

Having said that, there are many voicings for any chord, but the voice you choose may create subtle changes in the song because each voice accents different notes and tensions. The same chord in different positions should not always be considered interchangeable.   A barre F#m played at the ninth fret and one played at the 2nd are not exactly the same and accent different notes.  In most cases, no real effect, but sometimes it can really be noticeable.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

The discussions on the Bar Chords are absolutely correct, however, you can play a F#m by placing your finger across the first three strings on the second fret and reach for the 4 string 4th fret with the baby finger and only play the top 4 strings. This is only a stop gap measure.
You can also cheat on a Bm by simply playing 1st string 2nd fret, 2nd string 3rd fret and 3rd string 4th fret and only play the top three strings. Its cheating but can do in a pinch.

There is no such thing at cheating in guitar there is just what ever is easier.  I was taught always to be lazy playing the guitar (economy of movement) so if a "cheating" chord is handiest by G-d thats what I'll use, if not than there's a barcode

So Red Delicious

the way John says to cheat on Bm is the way I play it. Just like F# but move fingers down.

as for F#m I just play the three bottom strings on the 2nd fret and Dont play the top three.

I cheat a lot, it might not sound perfect but I do it for fun, not getting paid so I will not stress myself out trying to master any chord that hassles me.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Ken,

How can you live with yourself, cheating like that?  The chords must submit to our will.  Except B, of course.  It vexes me.

Actually, I take the same approach as you do, except I don't 'cheat' the chords, I play the barre chord and it sounds awful but I don't care because as you say, I'm not getting paid.  I figure if I do it enough, eventually they may start to sound better and wouldn't that be nice if it ever happens.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf is totally correct on both parts! You'll never learn the correct way to play, if you don't learn them right. It takes a little pressure on the strings to get barre chords to sound right, but well worth the effort. Learn them correctly and jam on bro!!! If you know how to play a basic E chord, move that chord up two frets or one step, Barre across second fret and lift middle finger, now you have an F#m! Yeah Zurf, B sucks! But life ain't easy so I play it anyway!!!

getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Thanks for the support there getfiddle, but Upyerkilt is right too.  It's not the WRONG way to play the chord, it's a DIFFERENT way to play the chord.  Now, it might sound fine in some songs and not in others.  Well, that's Upyerkilt's pickle to munch.  So long as the sounds come out and don't make me cring to often, he's welcome to play the chords anyway he likes at my campfire. 

- Zurf

sanguine wrote:

There is no such thing at cheating in guitar there is just what ever is easier.  I was taught always to be lazy playing the guitar (economy of movement) so if a "cheating" chord is handiest by G-d thats what I'll use, if not than there's a barcode

I hear ya.  Just play what works and don't worry about what any one else says.

different is good and you don't have to listen to anyone.

There are several ways to play any chord, based on different voicings and positions, and even any scale. If you do the math, there are literally hundreds of combinations available to play any song. Some sound better than others and you get to choose what works.
That ought to get some creative juices flowing and the more voicings and positions you can play, or the more scales you know, the more creative you can be.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix