1 (edited by 06sc500 2008-04-20 21:32:19)

Topic: The most beautiful songs ever

Thoguht this might make for an interesting thread. . .choose what you think are the most beautiful songs ever written. . .my top 10 isn't in any particular order

Annie's Song-John's guitar accompaniment that repeats throughout the song is awesome
No More Lonely Nights-in my opinion Paul had the best voice out of all the Beatles, and it shows on this song
Yesterday-sounds simple, but it's actually very difficult
Sweet Child 'O Mine-Slash's intro says it all-where does someone come up with a riff like this?
Don't Let it End-the prettiest song by Styx
Forty Mile Town-Eric Johnson plays and sings a great melody
Babe-beautiful Styx love ballad
Tears in Heaven-one of the most poignant songs ever written, and probably the best acoustic song ever written
Wonderful Tonight-Clapton's prettiest song
Save Me-Queen's softer side

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: The most beautiful songs ever

Well 06sc500, I wanted to know how old you are. WHY? because, I am born in December 1955, = 52 years old. But my list is timeless and BASED on the melody and NOT on lyrics.
I am a great fan of the BEE GEES.
I adore ballads, also R&R, Blues, Pop, Hard Rock, Grunge, Disco and Metal. So the best solution is dividing my list.
METAL:
- Enter Sandman by METALLICA.
- Peace Sells by MEGADETH
HARDROCK
- Highway Star + Smoke on the water by DEEP PURPLE
- Kashmir by LED ZEPPELIN
ROCK
- Jump + Eruption by VAN HALEN
- Stranglehold by TED NUGENT
- AC/DC , but also the "unforgettable performance" of Ten Years After, GOING HOME.
BALLADS (In fact, I love a lot here, but my list=)
- Desperado + the Last Resort by the EAGLES.
- Don't Forget To Remember by BEE GEES (always played when I broke a relation)
- HOMBURG by PROCOL HARUM
POP (to much)
- NORWEGIAN WOOD by the BEATLES
- SILENCE IS GOLDEN by TREMELOES
- TEARS IN TH MORNING by BEACH BOYS
- IF by PINK FLOYD
DISCO
- STAYING ALIVE by BEE GEES
BLUES
- I STILL GOT THE BLUES by GARY MOORE
- BIRD OF PARADISE by SNOWY WHITE
- CROSSROADS by CLAPTON (but this is closer to ROCK)
GRUNGE
- SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT by NIRVANA, this song has it all= straight from a "tormented heart"great guitar play
I can add more, but I CAN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION WHICH  SONG I LOVE MOST, perhaps TEARS IN THE MORNING.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I really like Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton, Longer, by Dan Fogelberg, and Change the World by Clapton. Anyone of them can move me to tears.

Yep, JimBusch, nice to meet you for the first time. Do you remember how many members there were back then?
If I write down my all time favourite songs, I would have a huge list.
I am not ashamed to say that I adore the BEE GEES. Where is the NAPSTER and AUDIOGALAXY TIME? for free!!!
I have some wonderful CD'S. I have every single song from
- THE BEE GEES 22 CD'S and 10 purchased CD'S. THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE. I made 1 CD with the songs I loved most, NO HITS AT ALL, called BEE GEES second best. I have also all the "TOM FOGERTY'S", you need 2 things = Patience and Time, which I had because it was in the period after my crash, also Paul McCartney who has 2 CD'S with "classic music", a kind of opera. It took me 3 months, and from the very first moment I started my PC, other users, started to download TOM + PAUL, these were the most popular. ALL THIS IS HISTORY. I paid an amount of money, 50$ I think, and since I have LIMEWIRE and WINMX (= the best for me)

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Jessica by The Allman Brothers-
Not one word is sang in this song but the pure beauty and emotion of the music is moving, goose-bump moving.

Riviera Paradise by Stevie Ray Vaughan-
Hard as heck to play but Stevie ripped through it like it was second nature. One of Stevies more complex songs and absolutely beautiful...........

Harvest Moon by Neil Young-
Musically soothing, lyrically, images of a peacful place pops into my mind evrytime I hear this masterpiece of a song.

The Long and Winding Road by The Beatles-
A happy/sad song that has gotten me through some rough, unpleasant times in my life. Now that I think about it, lots of Beatle music has been my partner in testing times of my life.

Give everything but up.

I would have loads here but here are just a few of my choices

A reason for it all....Eric Bogle
otherside of town.....john prine
Tears in heaven ..... need i say his name again? lol
love on the rocks......Neil Diamond
behind blue eyes.....the who
annie.....pete townshend and ronnie lane
hush hush........Scottish traditional.
masacre of glen Coe......scottish trad.

and for heavier stuff
One....Metallica
November rain........G'N'R
Angel........aerosmith
a pair of brown eyes....the pogues

I better stop

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Jessica by The Allman Brothers-
Not one word is sang in this song but the pure beauty and emotion of the music is moving, goose-bump moving.

Riviera Paradise by Stevie Ray Vaughan-
Hard as heck to play but Stevie ripped through it like it was second nature. One of Stevies more complex songs and absolutely beautiful...........

Harvest Moon by Neil Young-
Musically soothing, lyrically, images of a peacful place pops into my mind evrytime I hear this masterpiece of a song.

The Long and Winding Road by The Beatles-
A happy/sad song that has gotten me through some rough, unpleasant times in my life. Now that I think about it, lots of Beatle music has been my partner in testing times of my life.

I do like Jessica alot, although I didn't include it on my list.  It sounds so cool even though you never play more than one string at a time on a guitar.

Switchfoot

gitaardocphil wrote:

Well 06sc500, I wanted to know how old you are. WHY? because, I am born in December 1955, = 52 years old. But my list is timeless and BASED on the melody and NOT on lyrics.
I am a great fan of the BEE GEES.
I adore ballads, also R&R, Blues, Pop, Hard Rock, Grunge, Disco and Metal. So the best solution is dividing my list.
METAL:
- Enter Sandman by METALLICA.
- Peace Sells by MEGADETH
HARDROCK
- Highway Star + Smoke on the water by DEEP PURPLE
- Kashmir by LED ZEPPELIN
ROCK
- Jump + Eruption by VAN HALEN
- Stranglehold by TED NUGENT
- AC/DC , but also the "unforgettable performance" of Ten Years After, GOING HOME.
BALLADS (In fact, I love a lot here, but my list=)
- Desperado + the Last Resort by the EAGLES.
- Don't Forget To Remember by BEE GEES (always played when I broke a relation)
- HOMBURG by PROCOL HARUM
POP (to much)
- NORWEGIAN WOOD by the BEATLES
- SILENCE IS GOLDEN by TREMELOES
- TEARS IN TH MORNING by BEACH BOYS
- IF by PINK FLOYD
DISCO
- STAYING ALIVE by BEE GEES
BLUES
- I STILL GOT THE BLUES by GARY MOORE
- BIRD OF PARADISE by SNOWY WHITE
- CROSSROADS by CLAPTON (but this is closer to ROCK)
GRUNGE
- SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT by NIRVANA, this song has it all= straight from a "tormented heart"great guitar play
I can add more, but I CAN'T ANSWER THE QUESTION WHICH  SONG I LOVE MOST, perhaps TEARS IN THE MORNING.

My list is based on melody and lyrics.  Based on just melody, Cliffs of Dover would be my number one (this is my favortie song).  That being said, I am more a fan of instrumental music than songs with words, just because I'm more of a guitar player than singer.  This is why I love Eric Johnson's music so much.

Switchfoot

Flesh and Blood, by Johnny Cash
For Emily (wherever I may find her), by Simon and Garfunkle
If I Fell, by the Beatles
Everlong, by the Foo Fighters
Hot Burrito #1, by the Flying Burrito Brothers

Little Wing by Hendrix

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

06sc500, you use exactly the same system as I do concerning songs. I compare this always with meeting a woman.
The first impression is "her looks", a "wow" feeling, once you know her better, you dig deeper, character, personality.
A song = identical. I fall in love with the MELODY, THE TUNE and NOT THE LYRICS.
If you analyze the lyrics, I am afraid that writing lyrics is a special skill. Go back in timer and analyze or listen to lyrics of famous artists in the 60ties, like NO MILK TODAAY, OH WAHDIDDY DOM DIDDY DOO, great title lovely tune even the Beatles: SHE LOVES YOU YEYEAH.
The melody is what remains at the end.

gitaardocphil wrote:

06sc500, you use exactly the same system as I do concerning songs. I compare this always with meeting a woman.
The first impression is "her looks", a "wow" feeling, once you know her better, you dig deeper, character, personality.
A song = identical. I fall in love with the MELODY, THE TUNE and NOT THE LYRICS.
If you analyze the lyrics, I am afraid that writing lyrics is a special skill. Go back in timer and analyze or listen to lyrics of famous artists in the 60ties, like NO MILK TODAAY, OH WAHDIDDY DOM DIDDY DOO, great title lovely tune even the Beatles: SHE LOVES YOU YEYEAH.
The melody is what remains at the end.

True dat. . .can be applied to music and girls. . .lol

Switchfoot