1 (edited by ch0z3n on3 2008-05-02 07:08:54)

Topic: how to do the chord F

hey im pretty new to this guitar and i need to know how to do the chord F???any one?
Thanx!!

ch0zen 0n3

Re: how to do the chord F

Try barring across the first fret with index finger, middle finger on third string second fret, pinky on fourth string third fret, ring finger on fitfh string third fret. That is the full barre version of the F chord. There are other variations that mau be easier at first.

Barre with index finger 1st  and 2nd strings at frtst fret, midlle finger third string second fret, ring finger 4th string third fret. You can sort of see how you make variations from that. I think there is a chord dictionary here on this site and also I use gootar.com.

Hope this helps, I am for sure not an expert so...

"R"

New to the guitar you maybe, but there are bountiful amounts of books written on learning how to play, all with diagrams of many chords and an F is just one of them.

New to the guitar maybe, but not the internet, there is an  absolute S***load of sites on guitar chords and their many variations out there.

Look and ye will find....

The best site that I have found for figuring out how to do a particular chord is:

http://jguitar.com/chordsearch?chordsearch=F

Type in the chord and hit go!

The "F" chord is based on the same fingering as an open "E" chord. Form your regular open "E" chord using your middle, ring and pinky finger. Now, while keeping your fingers in  place slide them down 1 fret and place you index finger on the 1st fret pressing down on all 6 strings for the "F" chord. By moving all fingers down 2 more frets you have the "G" chord. 2 more frets and you have an "A" chord. And right on down the neck of the guitar. It takes time and a whole lotta practice to learn this barre chord but it is worth it. Now, as you learn how to make the "E" shaped barre chords you have 2 fingers that will change that chord to a minor chord or a 7th chord.

Form an "E" shaped barre chord with your index finger on the 5th fret. ( I am only using this position because it is less stretch for the fingers) This is a "A" chord. Now buy simply raising your middle finger and strumming the chord you have changed from an "A" Major to a "A" minor barre chord. OK, place all fingers back into position for the "A" barre chord. Now raise your pinky finger and strum. This is an A7 barre chord. And this will work for ALL "E" shaped barre chord positions.

Raising middle finger changes chord from Major to minor.
Raising pinky finger changes chord from Major to a 7th chord.

If this helps not only have you learned an "F" barre chord but you've also learned a minor chord and a 7th chord.

Strum like you mean it, it won't make you go blind.

Nela

thanks heaps everyone who has repled i can do it now!

Nela:

That was a good answer you gave, wish I had thought of saying it that way.

Wish someone had told it to me that way years ago, you made it very easy to understand.

I went for years trying to learn many different chords until I figured out what you said in your answer. And the bonus is once you figure it out it helps with the open chords as well because you sort of start to understand why there are 7ths and flats and sharps and minors etc.

Good job.

"R"

Here's another good chord locating site. It'll give you the most common played chord first then 6 or more alternate ways to play desired chord.

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/index. … mp;get=Get

Give everything but up.

Why thank you, Bigrinwv.  It can be amazing how simple something is when you have always thought it was difficult. I've only been playing a little over 2 1/2 years and I think I'm coming alone OK. I sure wish I had someone to tell me the benifits in using alternate fingerings to make chords. It seems as though everyone is taught to use their index, middle and ring finger for open chords and, to me, it should be the middle, ring and pinky fingers. The open "E" chord with the middle, ring and pinky fingers allows for easy movement to barre chords. A open "G" chord formed with the middle, ring and pinky allows for an easy movement to a G7 chord. A "Em" chord formed with your middle and ring finger makes it easy to get to an open "C" chord. This can go on and on. I'm starting to learn more and more about how to form chords in a song that make it easier to get to the following chord. I try to think about how the chord progression go nad relate that to how I want to form the chords. I guess it's working.

Nela