Topic: LINE6 VARIAX

What is your opinion about these guitars?
- I hear a lot that people playing a VARIAX (the electric) use it only in studio.
OR AM I WRONG and is the guitar used a lot on gigs?

Don't forget VARIAX is an uncle of GIBSON ROBOTIC & FENDER VG.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by 3CF 2008-05-05 14:30:10)

Re: LINE6 VARIAX

For the most part I as well only heard and seen these types of modeling guitars used in the studio. I played one a while ago and it was ok with just a turn of the magic dial you got a Taylor, Gibson, whatever…  however, it was NOTHING like the real thing. 3CF

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

3 (edited by cytania 2008-05-06 11:10:47)

Best that can be said is that if you've self-diagnosed yourself with terminal GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) then a Line6 Variax could help you try out and get tired of alot of different guitar sounds very rapidly. Of course the thing can't really do actual playing dynamics. Maybe a plus when it's simulating a big bodied model with an awful neck ;-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

The Line 6 Variax guitars come as different models (300, 400, 500, 600,700). The electric 300 was the very first Variax to be released. I bought one, because it was a dinged-up instrument at a large store, and super-cheap...

Playability is excellent gentlemen! The neck has a rosewood fingerboard and is very well made. The guitar actually plays like a high-end Fender, whereas the looks are East-Asia... The sounds are not great, but ultimately usable even in a live situation. For example the acoustic models, the resonator, the sitar and even the banjo are great because I don't own those instruments. Comparing the Tele and Strat models to the real thing shows the shortcomings of this guitar. I still think that it's worthwhile to at least experience the Variax, so you can tell for sure if this is your cup of tea.

P.S. I have owned a POD, and a Roland VG88 system + a VGA modeling amp for many years -the Variax technology is just about as versatile as the Roland modeling approach, but Line6 squeezes all this techno stuff into the instrument itself. Since I only paid $150 for mine (new with a few dings), I can't complain.

Well tennesee strat, I did exactly what you did. My biggest problem is if I like something I want it.
I had the opportunity caused by the money I got from insurances.
If I should calculate the total price, well I'm ashamed.
It's been a while since I played my "electric" variax 700, caused by hospital in, hospital out, my ex-wife and or my daughter start to clean here, and I am missing something to use my variax.
Also: I have 3 amps. A MARSHALL valvestate 100W, a MARSHALL AS100D acoustic (I wanted a 50W acoustic amp, I played on both amps, with acoustic guitars, electric guitars, and the 50W NEVER.
My main amp is a FENDER CYBERTWIN, a hybrid amp with digital and tubes. THIS IS THE BEST AMP I KNOW, I adore gadgets, effects, and I compared my cyber amp having a lot of different FENDER AMPS on board, like a Bassman, TWIN, twin reverb, princeton...with 3 fender amps from friends. Nobody could hear the difference between my bassman in the cybertwin and an authentic bassman, same with the twin reverb. Add 100 different effects on board (or is it 200) and you have a monster amp, 2x65W, volume on 4  and the cybertwin blows you away. I speak about the FIRST amp. And my floorboards. I don't know what's wrong but enough isn't in my dictionary so 2 floorboards and a little BOSS VF 1.
That's me, I was able to buy a lot, but a car crash ruined it akk.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]