Topic: how to "lift" string

how do you do that

Re: how to "lift" string

Hi Archer ,
   Welcome to Chordie ........
   I thought I knew a lot about playing , but I'm lost here . Never heard of string lifting.......
   Can anyone else help us out ?

Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Sorry, never heard of "lifting".

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

string lifting?
Is that similar to shirt lifting? lol

string lifting I can only guess at would be bending a string? but then why would anyone ask how to do that?

no idea,

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

When I re-string my guitar I'll lift the strings an inch or two from the fretboard to stretch the strings. I lift each string over the sound hole and use more care with the smaller strings. (they break much easier) Each string gets about 30 good tugs/lifts. I'll string my guitar a little sharp of 440 A and immediately begin my stretching process. Works great for me, my guitars rarely go out of tune.

Give everything but up.

I know a guy who got done for this.
He walked out without paying for a new set of Martins
He said they sorta fell into his pocket smile
Ark

String lifting, to get a nice secure bend in the wire at the agraffe or capo bar.  This will increase power and sustain, due to the reduction of loss through the termination point.
  Point two is level, getting the strings on an even plane to maximize power.
and has a big effect on how the dampers work.
  Point three, Hammer fitting, again effecting power and phasing. (false beats)

All three points interact with each other.  Pianotech (USA) sells a string leveling and lifting tool, that has a roller that will lift and level the string at the same time. Takes about 10 Min's to do a complete piano.  I'll send Ron a photo so he can in-bed it in the post.

Once level and lifting is achieved, with no damper problems, then file the hammers to fit to the strings.

Just about all grands can benefit from this every few years, on the prairies.
Depends on how radical the humidity conditions.
********I found this on this site I think it is for Pianos????******

http://websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/cap … id=2213290

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

Yea the only string lifting I do is out of the box i bought them in...Peace....3CF

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

upyerkilt wrote:

string lifting?

shirt lifting good, kilt lifting bad.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

SouthPaw41L wrote:

When I re-string my guitar I'll lift the strings an inch or two from the fretboard to stretch the strings. I lift each string over the sound hole and use more care with the smaller strings. (they break much easier) Each string gets about 30 good tugs/lifts. I'll string my guitar a little sharp of 440 A and immediately begin my stretching process. Works great for me, my guitars rarely go out of tune.

I like this technique. I don't have too much issue with staying in tune once the strings break in, but I bet this speeds it up.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

Is this a recognised pastime in Scotland ?? :lol

upyerkilt wrote:

string lifting?

string lifting I can only guess at would be bending a string? but then why would anyone ask how to do that?

no idea,

Ken

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx