Topic: reasons why you don't like most R&B music...

if you list some, it would help me for a song i'm writing called "Why I hate R&B". lol

thanks

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Re: reasons why you don't like most R&B music...

good luck will i dont think to many people hate r&b smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

3 (edited by Tim0473 2008-04-29 21:06:39)

Now if it was titled, "Why I hate rap", you'd have a long laundry list of ideas

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Here you go.

1.  I have crappy taste in music.

That is all.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Well, that depends on the R&B.  If it's R&B Rehashed Disco Dance Remix Crap, that's one thing.  But if it's old school R&B that was essentially the love child of Soul and Motown, then there's no reason to hate it. 

So, which R&B are you talking about? 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

well.....R&B ?????
what exactly is this ?

I used to have a " THE WHO" poster and it said MARQUEE maximum R&B. Meaning the who were R&B, as in Rythum and blues. I watched a documntary on the who not so long ago called " the amazing journey" and what an amazing story it was. I am sure on there they said something about being R&B .
Now these days I am told that R&B is totally different. I tihnk there might have been a thread on this last year sometime if my bad memory serves me well.

so when you say R&B, what sort of music is it? what sort of bands would be classed as R&B?
If you say "The WHO" then I am going to say R&B is magnificent, if it is modern day tripe that singers spew out then I detest it all.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

R&B, or Rythm and blues, is some of the best music on the F'n planet.  It is the basis of all Rock, Elvis sang R&B,  the Beatles sang R&B,  Dude even the Ramones sang R&B.

Try some Otis Redding,  Willson Pickett, Al Green,  Aretha Franklin,  or anything from Stax/Atlantic in the 60's.  You'll hear some great music, great guitar picking,  and the most soulful vocals ever.

The title could be "I can't hear because my head's in my @##$$". Just a thought.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Agreed mixter ... Old MoTown is a perfect example of R & B ... anything from the 60's/70's is a great example ... My personal favorite is Marvin Gaye ... phenomenal R & B singer

Will (hope you don't mind me calling you Will), pick any really big R&B song (modern) and then search for an acoustic version on Youtube or something. The acoustic version will change your mind, I'm sure. R&B songs have a great driving beat right through them which lends to a good strum pattern. Give it a go. I see R&B in a totally different way now. Get behind the whole attitude and there is something worth listening to.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

First off let's define R&B.
Rhythm and blues (also known as R&B or RnB) is a popular music genre combining jazz, gospel, and blues influences, first performed by African American artists.

Writer/producer Robert Palmer defined "rhythm & blues as a catchall term referring to any music that was made by and for black Americans."[1] He has used the term R&B as a synonym for jump blues.[2] Lawrence Cohn, author of Nothing but the Blues, writes that rhythm and blues was an umbrella term invented for industry convenience. According to him, the term embraced all black music except classical music and religious music, unless a gospel song sold enough to break into the charts. [3]

This was a small piece of a large article on wikipedia. I would broaden the definition to include not just black Americans but all people who are moved by a strong beat and soulful, heartfelt melodies. Hey, to each their own but it's difficult not to find influence from R&B in any post 1940 music. (minus classical, polka,opera, and death metal).

James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Temptations, Al Green, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Johnny Otis, Big Bill Broonzy, Chubby Checker, Smokey Robinson,.............what's not to like about these icons of R&B music?

Give everything but up.

Ok, fine.
Reasons why you hate rap music? lol

cool
okay??

It's just not good! lol

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

that's one reason smile
i need mooooore, c'mon this will be an amazing song!!

cool
okay??

lol Alvee .... now early 80's rap when it first started ... I actually liked ... it was only about "getting paid, making money, getting women" ... now it's about "rollin' in da hood, smackin ma b$*tch up, shootin' it up"

But yeah I'd have to agree with Alvee ... it's just not good ... and there's no musical talent whatsoever unless you call  being a cult hero on the mixing table talent

To classify or categorize anything is reckless. I'd say the big problem I have with Rap music (and again generalizing is dangerous) is it's not melodic. I've never cared much for the message or the characters either. I'm sure they're are some songs which could be exceptions and as Tim0473 writes early stuff was a little easier to take. Now there are some sort of hybrid bands out there they use elements of rap music that I think are great. For example Rage Against the Machine. Sort of a rap lyrics thing (which sometimes the lyrics are over the top) but the music is, in my opinion, very powerful. In some respects you're right, Rap music gets banged around pretty bad here (maybe even sometimes unjustly). There's just no real musical value there. A lot of samples, drum machines and some low end poetry. But if you like it, have at it. I can only say I think it sucks but since when does anyone care what I think. If you like it, have at it.

Elvis Costello

I agree geo ... a "hybrid" was born where it was incorporated into alternative/rap genre ... Rage is a great example as well Linkin Park (whom I love) ... some earlier attempts by Korn and Limp Biskit did the same thing (which I don't like)

Agreed Tim. Again some good some bad like any other genre. So I guess if Rage and Linkin Park are Rap artists then I like some Rap music...See we're all getting along well.

Elvis Costello

19 (edited by crowellb 2008-05-01 03:42:20)

I concur with everyone about how one shouldn't rule out entire genres of music. I used to like hip hop back back in the Snoop/Dr. Dre/Biggy/Tupac days. They actually were pretty decent lyricists. Plus, I was in college then and all the ladies hit the dance floor when hip hop started playing. This new stuff is pretty terrible and I just don't agree with what they're portraying as being important. Plus, new hip hop is "canned" and it all sounds the same to me.

I wasn't a big fan of ska when that came out but No Doubt changed my mind. I really didn't like emo when it came out either but it's definitely grown on me and some of my current favorite bands would be considered emo (My Chemical Romance and 30 Seconds to Mars). The point is, we all should keep an open mind in all things in life, especially music.

Speaking of 30 STM, check out www.abeautifullie.org if you're interested in environmental awareness. They have a cool forum for discussing climate change etc if your interested. I need some more tree huggers to help me set some of these apathetic punks straight on climate change!

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

geoaguiar wrote:

The title could be "I can't hear because my head's in my @##$$". Just a thought.

you may have said that as a joke, but because i'm such a demented individual im gonna take that literally and WRITE THAT SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

cool
okay??

i fell u man i dont like it either i dont get it they dont even sing they just talk with a beat its just like poem reciting i only like rock. Rock ON

Well besides the reasons listed above...I don't like rap because it doesn't have guitar!!! I mean really how can you have music without a guitar? -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

would "convoy" jerry reed i think, be concidered country rap or how about a "boy named sue" johnny cash seems to me there were even earlier songs with melodies and "talking" so rap isn't all that new of a concept also aerosmith "walk this way" might be concidered rap but the reason I dont care for it there are too many references to gangs and "capping"some total stranger in a driveby for kicks and a lot of children sitting on there front porch have been shot I dont care for it for another reason its the same as guitarpix,wheres the guitar man this aint "music"its total crap in my opinion.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Montana W. wrote:

i fell u man i dont like it either i dont get it they dont even sing they just talk with a beat its just like poem reciting i only like rock. Rock ON

Sounds like you mean pop, not real R&B.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

I believe Convoy was C.W. McCall.   I call those "talking country" songs.  Freddy Fender did some.  In fact, a LOT of folks did those talking country songs in the 70's.  They'd sing a verse, the chorus twice, then they'd have a talking verse that ALWAYS seemed to start with "Darlin', now you know I love you..." and then would go on to explain that even though the singer loved Darlin' why he slept with half the women in the trailer park and was still pursuing the other half and generally saying completely ridiculous, inflammatory, and unreasonable things in a low, steady, calm, reasonable sounding voice (with lap steel guitar and brushed drum backup).  Man, that was some crap.  No wonder I went for the sissified folk/pop in the 70's. 

Jerry Reed did do trucker songs, and did perhaps the most famous (other than Convoy) as the opening theme song for the movie "Smokey and the Bandit" - later released as a single named "East Bound and Down." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude