Topic: ABOUT PLAYING GUITAR

I'm interested in the fact how many guitar players here play
- in open tuning
- fingerpicking, flatpicking
- strumming

AND, if the following statement is correct: Some guitars are a lot better in sound when fingerpicking.
- SANTA CRUZ
- COLLINGS

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: ABOUT PLAYING GUITAR

I will vouch for Santa Cruz guitars sounding like there is a little angel singing in each one.  I've played about a dozen different makes of Santa Cruz, and there wasn't a one that sounded poor.   Most of that was finger picking, but I did break out a plectrum for a bit.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I started with a pic, but ever since I got my Johnson tuned up with silk n' steel strings, the pic sounds too ..harsh (?).  I started finger strumming, and now picking.  I've found I can really get a lovely rythm going, and can even play a bit of a bass line while picking (and it is fun as hell).  I play open tuning, but will get a capo just to see what it plays like (and maybe defeat some that damned B chord)

_debs_

After years with a meduim pick, 2 years ago I switched to thin and in the last 6 months I've gone pickless. I do some finger picking but I like to strum a bit. I've got a couple of 6 string acoustics 1 with medium strings, 1 with lights but it doesn't matter which one I'm playing

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

all three, and I prefer silk n steel as far as the B chord I got into the habit of useing my 4th finger instead of the 3rd for barring the 4th 3rd and 2nd strings its less of a strain on my hand and I can make faster transistions with this form and it sounds cleaner and feels stronger then the conventional fingering useing the 3rd finger

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

all three, and I prefer silk n steel as far as the B chord I got into the habit of useing my 4th finger instead of the 3rd for barring the 4th 3rd and 2nd strings its less of a strain on my hand and I can make faster transistions with this form and it sounds cleaner and feels stronger then the conventional fingering useing the 3rd finger

Thanks Russell, I'll have to try that. smile

I use Open G (DADGAD) sometimes, mainly when I'm playing slide. (badly!)

tibernius I have been playing more slide these days I have a dobro houndog electric but i dont use the pickup when i record i mike it and it sounds better without amping it i like to go to the lake and jam alone you never know who's gonna show up and jam along people seem to like the slide a lot and i might do some "busking" and sell a few cd's you never know smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

tibernius I have been playing more slide these days I have a dobro houndog electric but i dont use the pickup when i record i mike it and it sounds better without amping it i like to go to the lake and jam alone you never know who's gonna show up and jam along people seem to like the slide a lot and i might do some "busking" and sell a few cd's you never know smile

Yeah you never know. Make sure you have proper change for all the potential customers................

Give everything but up.

yea southpaw I gpt a jar full of nickles dimes and quarters I dont think i'll need any pennys but thanks for the tip i will bring some paper currency for the big spenders lol

Hi ,
   When I was a kid , I could'nt afford to buy picks , so I developed a really good three finger and thumb picking technique . Then I started making picks from the white plastic things that they used to fasten bread bags shut . Ever since I've been a flat picker . Sometimes wish I had maintained my fingerpicking ...............

Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

I sometimes cut picks out of plastic beverage bottles. Milk jugs seem to work the best. Make sure you have some good quality scissors. You can get 15-20 picks from a gallon jug. A little sand paper to smooth down the rough edges and bam, picks galore !

Give everything but up.

Finger pick mostly, but some strumming with a pick.  Just starting to figure out a little flatpicking for an instrumental verse on "Fast Train to Georgia". 

Acoustic almost always, though I have an SG knockoff by Ibanez that sounds good.  I'm just not a lead player yet.  I'll need a LOT of work on scales and arpeggios before I feel confident to play lead.

I play in standard tuning.  I hate barre chords, but that hatred has waned to a general distaste with practice.

My acoustics (one classical, one folk) are both Yamaha, so I kind of like Yamaha guitars.  Were I to have my pick of guitars (sorry for the pun), it would be Blue Ridge.  I love the bass sustain of those guitars.  Wonderful bass sustain that lets you go and play around with the treble strings fingerpicking while not working real hard at keeping the bass notes in the foreground.  I love those Blue Ridge guitars.  I don't have any bad things to say about Breedlove either.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude