Topic: great funk bands

i was just wondering what the big funk bands are. ive been listening to some really old red hot chili peppers and ive decided that i really like funk and i was hoping some one could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

Re: great funk bands

First, there is no "really old" Red Hot Chili Peppers. 

Second, it is good stuff!

Third, here's a couple 'old' bands and a current band to try
- Earth, Wind and Fire
- George Clinton and the Philadelphia Funkadelics  (Thank You Fulettin Me Be Mice Elf)
- Mingo Fishtrap (a Houston band, but you can find them on line)

Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Try Sly and the Family Stone or Wild Cherry for some good funk. Nothing like good funk to get you moving.

...Badeye cool

one caper after another

For funk proper I suggest -

anything by The Meters

anything by James Brown

Theme from shaft - by Issac Hayes

and for alt funk

Been caught stealing - Janes Addiction

Start Chopping - Dinosaur Junior

Damaged Goods - Gang of Four

GRAND FUNK RAILROAD?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Zurf wrote:

First, there is no "really old" Red Hot Chili Peppers.

What do you mean there is no really old red hot chili peppers? The stuff i was listeneing to was from the early 80's and that was before i was born so it is old to me.

thanks to your help everyone ill check it out.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

In the early 80's I was in college and had already been working for some while.  It doesn't seem so long ago.  Red Hot Chili Peppers are among the "newer" music in my library.  Take no offense, please.  I had assumed you were younger than I and was teasing a bit.  One of the fun things about these forums is the differences in perspective from age, culture, and location we each bring. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

there are some great compilation discs out there,  I recomend the "Millennium Funk Party" discs.  If you want to get deeper, you can't go wrong with anything by George Clinton, solo, or with Parliament/Funkadelic.