Topic: HOW MANY CHORDIANS PERFORM SOLO OR IN A BAND?

Some of us play and perform guitar in a band or solo, while others just play for fun or remain in a years long rehearsal stage.

I play ALONE, and the major problem is RHYTHM. Playing with a friend is easier and I have the impression that you play 2-3 times better in a band or with an other guitar player.

SO HERE MY QUESTION:
- WHO PERFORMS WITH A BAND?
- WHO PERFORMS SOLO?
- BUSKERS INCLUDED.
Feel free to write that you are "the lucky person" who can live of his songs, and performance.

I think 99% of us play for fun, and occasionally you get paid by playing on a wedding.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: HOW MANY CHORDIANS PERFORM SOLO OR IN A BAND?

I do both.  We gig, and when the band takes a break, we all have little solo numbers we do.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

i am solo and i busk its not that I prefer solo there are no musicians in the area who have the time to commit or desire karioke killed a lot of jobs for solo artist

"Growing old is not for sissies"

dj's are much cheaper and have a much bigger catalog.  So the bread & butter jobs like parties, weddings. lounge acts etc... are nearly non-existent.  I also see too many bad singers with a laptop, 40 MB of mp3s, winamp and a rented PA singing at a lounge or restaurant. 
But on the positive side in NJ,  the shore has a thriving music scene in the summer. Asbury Park and and the Stone Pony are making comebacks and a slew of solo acts, duos and bands are working.   

I stopped playing out some years back to day gig and support the family. Now that IT jobs are moving off-shore I may have to go back to giggin' to pick up some dough.  smile

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

This is a rhetorical question and inappropriate too, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Why? It's obvious because I ask if you can make a living by playing.

MY OWN SISTER IS (was) BALLERINA on professional level. She is born in Belgium of course, and her passion was BALLET. I don't remember me how many times she went to ballet school, she was 4-5 years old when she started, and was "spotted" several times to join a ballet company providing
- A HARD AND SPARTAN TRAINING
- NEXT OR PARALLEL WITH THE TRAINING THEY FOLLOWED CLASS.
BUT, I believe parents changed a lot on this problem, my father, open minded and my mother, more severe TOLD = NO WAY. First finish school, and than you have still time. I remember all this because it's so sad. She was the best of her class and won almost every contest, in competition with a girl named ANN THERESA DE KEERSMAECKER, on 10 confrontations my sister won 8. That girl has now a worldfamous company named ROSAS, ( http://www.rosas.be/) and she was accepted at the age of 14. My sister was accepted too after finishing school 18 years old.  She was and still is the first who accomplished this, TOO old. (Were such parent/kids discussions the same in the USA? I believe parents push more to have a little "star" in your country)  And yet
she could follow that class, 2 years in 1 year + an additional ballet training in MONTREAL.
It's sad to be the best, and to see that the second best is now world famous. (there are probably a lot more influences like character, organisation, management, so I 'll never know how it would end) She moved to Germany after Canada and earned not bad at all. TODAY she's 48 years old, her husband is 43, is from Mauritius and is starting slowly to become a frequent asked choreograph. But MONEY? Enough to survive and to live their lives.
A lot of parents were like mine in the 60ties.
This story is written because of CHOICES YOU HAVE TO MAKE. BEING VERY GOOD IN WHAT YOU DO AND HAVING LUCK.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

i want to be in a band - check out my post "please read this" in "my local band"

"In a mad world it is the mad who are sane" Craig Nicholls

I play in a band.