Topic: PSA: Drop-D (Apology & insight)

Hello everyone,

You probably haven't heard anything from me in the past 6 months because I WAS struggling with my playing. And playing in Drop-D was the cause of my depression and stagnation.

I started out playing in Drop-D cause it was easy. Within a year I hit a wall and could only play TOOL, Nirvana, Marilyn Manson and songs that are played in Drop-D. I didn't learn any chords, barre chords or other styles cause I thought I could get away with only playing in Drop-D. Boy was I wrong!!!

After a while, I wanted to play "Happier" music that sounded bright and more guitar-like, instead of the grumbly dark music I had been playing in Drop-D. I found that I couldn't! Not only couldn't I even imagine how to play other music, I simply couldnt!!

My fingers had become weak and my callouses disappeared because I was only using the side and bottom of my index and ring fingers to do drop-d bar-chords. I had to start all over again from the beginning and learn to play in standard tuning. I threw away all the papers and notes I had on playing in drop-d and set my heart on learning to play in standard.

In two short months, my callouses have come back three times as thick as they were before, I cam play all of the major and minor chords in standard tuning, I can play the major and minor barre chords in the different shapes (A-shape, E-shape, D-shape, G-shape, C-shape, 7th shape), and I am learning the different jazz shapes (VERY HARD).

There is so much limitation in playing in Drop-D. I wish I would have listened to the wise people here on Chordie 2 years ago when I started playing. I thought that I was doing the right thing back then and I want to say sorry to anyone that I railed against when I thought Drop-D was the best thing since sliced bread. I realize now that Drop-D has it's place in music, but it's not where I want to go right now.

I love the full sound of barre chords and open chords, they are what my heart has been longing for and heres the best thing.........should I feel the need for that grumbly dark sound, I can just do POWER CHORDS!!! They sound the same and now that my left hand is so much stronger from doing barre chords, regular power chords are SOOO EASY NOW!!! I always wondered how Billy Joe from Green Day played power chords so easily when he could have just done em in Drop-D but I realize that doing a standard power chord allows for much more flexibility and ease than trying to do em in Drop-D.

For Example....you're doing a G-Power Chord based on the 6th string and you want to go to a C-power Chord. All you have to do is drop that same shape one string down to the 5th string and VIOLA....you have your C-Power Chord!!!  It's so much easier than trying to go from a 1-finger bar in drop-D to the split shape you would have to perform to do the C-Power chord on the 5th string.

I'm absolutely loving standard tuning. I can only say that I wish I had listened to you all so long ago. I've gone about this totally backwards...

But i'm happy to be where I should now...

sincerely,
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Re: PSA: Drop-D (Apology & insight)

So I guess it's a good thing I learned my powerchords the right way ... I've never tried Drop D yet and was always curious why alot of bands play in Drop D ... I've been using my powerchords for almost a year now and I'm spot on with them ... for the most part I like using the "2-note" powerchord formation instead of the "3-note" formation ... I like mine to sound a little "thinner" ... with all three they sound ALOT heavier

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

3 (edited by Tibernius 2008-05-12 20:40:06)

Tim0473 wrote:

... I've never tried Drop D yet and was always curious why alot of bands play in Drop D ...

Two reasons:

1) You can play a power chord a tone lower than with regular tuning (by playing the 3 lowest strings open)

2) you can change chords faster if you're only playing chords on the 3 lowest strings.

I have to play Drop D sometimes when I'm playing some songs by Lostprophets, because you can't play a chord that low with standard tuning. It has its place but I prefer standard tuning.
(mainly because I can't be bothered to re-tune the strat copy I normally use, which has one of those vintage trems, which make every other string go out of tune when you drop one...)

Tibernius

So your only playing the 3 lowest strings and thats it?  You dont use the other 3 strings?

That there is an object lesson in the difference between "playing songs" and "playing the guitar."

Drop D is a great tuning.  So are a whole lot of the other open tunings.  But none of it is a substitute for learning to play the instrument.

Next up.  Theory.

Get 'er done.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Tim0473 wrote:

Tibernius

So your only playing the 3 lowest strings and thats it?  You dont use the other 3 strings?

You can (and usually do) but Drop D makes little or no difference to them, so you wouldn't need it for them.

Ahhh tried it last night actually ... it's weird because I learned my powerchords in standard tuning and have been using them for the past year and a half ... when I tried the Drop D it felt weird but that's probably because 1.  I'm used to standard tuning powerchords and 2.  I'm still not proficient in barre chords