Topic: THE IMPORTANCE OF STRUMMING = RIGHT OR WRONG?

I often play acoustic guitar, despite the fact that I own 12 electric guitars and having a free room in my house in the middle of my village ON A PARKING PLOT, and only a second house.
Still I prefer acoustic.
It all started with a YAMAHA FG 300, 30 years ago. Those guitars were quit expensive here, OVER PRICED, I paid 400$ in 1978. On the other hand this Yamaha is a wonder to play.
WOODS +++, NECK +++, SOUND +++ , and red label.
WHO HAS EXPERIENCE WITH THIS KIND OF YAMAHA. I only know that prices of this guitar on auctions here go up to 600€ (= 900$ !!!!)
Back to acoustic:
- When I play a song, even every song I know, I never pay attention on the strumming style.
IS THIS GOOD IR BAD.
My goal is to play my guitar in a way that the song is recognized immediately. There are songs, like DOOBIE BROTHERS, LYNYRD SKYNYRD who have a CLEAR strumming pattern like D(own) and U(p)

Like D  D  D  D U U D  D  D U  D  D.
Not following the strumming pattern as I should do, doesn't KILL the song. BUT THAT'S MY OPINION     
Are there more "experienced" players who don't pay attention on strumming?

A question in connection with this topic is HOW DO YOU PLAY REGGAE?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: THE IMPORTANCE OF STRUMMING = RIGHT OR WRONG?

The style is neither good nor bad.  It is yours.  If I wanted to hear the song done exactly the same way as it was done on an album, I'll just play the album. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

grow some dredlocks smoke a ton of ganga and it will find you

gitaardocphil wrote:

I often play acoustic guitar, despite the fact that I own 12 electric guitars and having a free room in my house in the middle of my village ON A PARKING PLOT, and only a second house.
Still I prefer acoustic.
It all started with a YAMAHA FG 300, 30 years ago. Those guitars were quit expensive here, OVER PRICED, I paid 400$ in 1978. On the other hand this Yamaha is a wonder to play.
WOODS +++, NECK +++, SOUND +++ , and red label.
WHO HAS EXPERIENCE WITH THIS KIND OF YAMAHA. I only know that prices of this guitar on auctions here go up to 600€ (= 900$ !!!!)
Back to acoustic:
- When I play a song, even every song I know, I never pay attention on the strumming style.
IS THIS GOOD IR BAD.
My goal is to play my guitar in a way that the song is recognized immediately. There are songs, like DOOBIE BROTHERS, LYNYRD SKYNYRD who have a CLEAR strumming pattern like D(own) and U(p)

Like D  D  D  D U U D  D  D U  D  D.
Not following the strumming pattern as I should do, doesn't KILL the song. BUT THAT'S MY OPINION     
Are there more "experienced" players who don't pay attention on strumming?

A question in connection with this topic is HOW DO YOU PLAY REGGAE?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Doc

I'm in the same boat with strumming style ... I never really go by what is "tabbed" ... I go with the rhythm that I think sounds good ... and like you said, it's recognizeable when you hear it

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

I find if I know the song the pattern will come very easy. Of course I always have a radio on at work to oldies music and
it can be repeative which is good to get to know the tune. I usually play at the nut with fifths and sevenths depending on the song. Acoustic guitar is a blast.

...Badeye cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

I usually play at the nut with fifths and sevenths depending on the song. Acoustic guitar is a blast.

...Badeye cool

Well, I'm real similar in that I'm usually the nut playing.  big_smile

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:
badeye wrote:

I usually play at the nut with fifths and sevenths depending on the song. Acoustic guitar is a blast.

...Badeye cool

Well, I'm real similar in that I'm usually the nut playing.  big_smile

- Zurf

Funny stuff Zurf, we act nutty too when we get in the kitchen for a jam, all in good fun.

Take Care... Badeye cool

one caper after another

I think that there are a lot of guitar players here with strumming problems.
I also try to play some "picking" but before I know I'm strumming again.
Russell, I had a dreadlock  wig ma men, smoked some ganga too, and strummetiestrum NO WOMAN BO CRY. I'm living sexless since almost 3 years now, I think I'll  study for priest, GITAARPRIESTPHIL in nomine patris et filiis et sanctus spiritum
AGNUS DEI QUI TOLLIT ... DONA NOBIS PACE.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Doc,

There's a lot of places where you belong, but I'm thinking the priesthood isn't one of them.  But with your medical studies you do know some Latin already!  So you've got that going for you.  If you could get Greek and Aramaic under control, well.... maybe.

- Zurf

10 (edited by NELA 2008-05-17 13:45:09)

Right or wrong I listen to the CD or radio and pick out the "Beats" of the bass notes as the strum patterns. To me the strum patterns is a rythmic melody of the song in some down and up sequence that fits the song. In a pattern such as;
D...D...U...D...U...D...U....D = 1...2...&...3...&...4...&...1 in a 4/4 time. All D's or 1's will be downstrums and the U's or &'s will be upstrums in your counting patterns. This works for me in any sequence of patterns that you hear or feel weither the song timing is in 3/4, 4/4, triplet or whatever. Any song can have more than 1 strum pattern so if you can hear it then play it. I, and I haven't been playing for that long, started developing my strumming skills (if that is what you want to call them) by keeping a pick on the console of my truck and strumming to the song I hear on the radio as I'm driving. Many songs, to my ear, are the same patterns but they are slower or faster and in the style of whoever happens to be singing the song. To me, if you can tap your foot to the rythem of the song and keep time, you should be able to do the same with your struming hand. The hardest part to me was learning to tap my foot and strum all at the same time.

Nela

Johnny Ramone is a great testament to how much it doesn't matter how you strum.  He ALWAYS did dowstrokes and sounded amazing.

Keep shreding

Just have to add that if you are interested in furthering your knowledge of strumming patterns, you HAVE to check out Richie Havens, especially his rendition of Dylan's "Just Like A Woman" from the Dylan tribute in like 2000-2001 something like that.  I have been playing for 20 years, and that just blew my mind.  I still can't do it justice.  But, I did find while practicing that song that starting on an upstrum dramatically changes the beat and sound of the guitar - something to experiment with anyway.  Seriously, though, check out that tune of Havens'

Found a link to that Havens tune (it's a video of that Dylan tribute performance):

http://www.last.fm/music/Richie+Havens/ … 9UuK-rIpJk

Also, speaking in general of "how to sound" - this song is the perfect example of doing your own take on a song.  I know Dylan's version sounds MUCH different.  And both are great.  Another example is Clapton's take on "Don't Think Twice" from the same Dylan tribute.  Also, look and Hendrix' versions of Dylan's songs.  It is rumored that Dylan "gave" "Like a Rolling Stone" to Hendrix because he loved Jimi's version so much.

Anyway, sorry for being so long-winded, music is one subject I could discuss for hours!

Ok, that Havens tune was an awesome representation of playing a song the way YOU feel it.  I've always thought that some people have enough built in rhythm/musical sense that they know how to make a song recognizable, or make it their own.  Doc, don't worry about picking some and strumming some--- check out Tommy Emmanuel. I do the same thing and I generally know how most songs go.  Also if you listen to artists who have been playing the same song for 20 - 30 years, they change them up quite a bit when performing live.  Keeps the song fresh and the musicians don't get bored.  So go your own way, and let the rest look for strum patterns.

I swear---by my life and my love of it---that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

I'm the same way, I just try to fill the space with whatever I'm feeing.....
BUT, there are songs that if you don't hit the right strumming pattern, it's just not going to work...Night Moves comes to mind, or Proud Mary...but for the most part, I just do whatever I want and call it "making it my own".

For reggae try counting one and two and three and four and then only strum the ands missing out the numbers altogether pick the ands  down then try them up see what you like the sound of best. mmm it's hard to put into words. This probably won't help I dunno

I think it's not so much important to play exactly but to make sure you don't end up strummimg everything the same avoid always strumming the six strings strum 3 or 4 sometimes and get the accents right. What makes a good rhythm is what you leave out sometimes and make use of dynamics soft and loud, silent, mute , slide and hammer on and pull off those strings. Pick some bass notes with your chords. Strumming is very important for a guitarist because that's what we do 90% of the time and no one is interested in long solos (people like riffs better) no matter how good they are keep them short.

As an addition to jennymare...true, people aren't so interested in solos too often, but if you want something more than just chords to play on your acoustic, maybe you should check out some video game music.  Haha.  Some of it is real simple, but you can find plenty of good stuff too.  A lot of it is easily recognizable to groups as well, for instance, the Super Mario theme, or the Dreamland song from Super Smash Brothers.  I dont know if anyone on here will be interested, but if you are I'd check out www.gametabs.net.  They have tabs and midis/mp3s to listen to for each song.  Some of the tabbers even form it into sheet music of sorts with timing and everything.  Woo for music theory!  wink.  Anyway, happy first post on here to me (I've been lurking =P).

U

if you got to ask how to play reggae .... you shouldnt be playing it .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.