Topic: How did they do it?

First: who can imagine today a world without PC, GPS, Flat Screens.
Also in GUITAR WORLD nothing is the same.
You want to sound like JIMI HENDRIX, there is a little device giving you that sound.
WHAT DO WE HAVE:
- a guitar is still a guitar.
- AMPS, no way to compare with amps dating from the 60ties and 70ties. A lot of the amps have a lot of effects.
- FLOORBOARDS giving you hundreds of different sounds

BUT HOW DID THEY MANAGE such a great sound in the 60ties & 70ties?
They had a wall of amps, AMPHEADS + THE BIG BOXES.
How did they produce sounds, take JIMI HENDRIX. An AMP, a GUITAR and a WAH WAH AND a sound to blow us all away. I only know that they connected one amp into another,in fact I don't know s***about HOW THEY MANAGED, TO GIVE US SUCH A SOUND

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: How did they do it?

Talent.

I second the motion!  3CF

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

Jimi had a bit more than just a wah-wah pedal.  He was notorious for being a gear whore. 

From Fender Player's Club

"Among his regular effects were a Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face, a Mayer Octavia (produces octaves above and below the note played), a Vox wah-wah pedal*, a Leslie rotating speaker, and a Univox Univibe (which simulated a rotating speaker), not to mention the vast array of studio effects he used, like echo and phasing. "

So that's all you need.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

They also used all of their equipments capabilities,  but much of what was recorded was a one shot deal.  Hendrix, Page, Clapton and the others couldn't exactly duplicate the studio sound live.   Now a days I have a Digitech floor pedal that can give me the sound I want everytime anywhere.

Didn't they connect some amps? Playing on a Marshall, who is connected with another Marshall?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

It's all in the fingers son.
Gimme a wah, an all valve amp and a P-90 equipped Goldtop and i'll make you cry.

a happy meal and a micro cube

put profound words here

felixq78 wrote:

It's all in the fingers son.
Gimme a wah, an all valve amp and a P-90 equipped Goldtop and i'll make you cry.

Yep, that's the way we did it way back then. 
A couple of stacks of tube amps, a Morley Power Wah, a smallstone and a pretty hot SG.  But you had to play the notes, not just play it loud.   
Of course, now I suffer the obligatory hearing loss...

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix