Topic: Spam-jo

Does anyone play or even seen a "SPAM-JO? They are out there as my wife has one. It is nothing more than a "SPAM" can that has been painted, attached to a 1" neck, 12 frets added, 1 tuner and 1 string. This instrument can be played and I have even been able to attach an tuner to it and run it through my guitar amp - Electric SPAM-JO! My wife can play I'll Fly Away and Amazing Grace on it. A real novelity item.

Nela

Re: Spam-jo

Nela Pet!

Have you been sipping  "that MOONSHINE STUFF "again?

Or is this another of your Cackle Berries Stories?  lol

Old  Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Dude, I just googled spam jo, the only reply i got was this forum.

Hi Nela,

Had you posted this today I would have thought that maybe it was a wind up, so I guess you are serious.

I too have never heard of, or seen anything like this instrument so how about posting a photo somewhere so we can see it and perhaps a recording of it being played so we can hear it too. (A recording can go on Friends of Chordie if you have no where else to post it - let me know).

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

5 (edited by NELA 2008-04-02 11:59:15)

The one we have was made from an empty "spam" can that was painted, attached to a homemade neck with frets, one tuner and a single "G" string. They can be made from many different types of cans or boxes. Since ours were made using a spam can as a sound chamber - 'SPAM-JO". It can be tuned and played but due to it having only 1 string the "key" is limited. I have not tried using a capo but who knows. By attaching a cheap acoustic tuner (battery powered) with a suction cup and connecting it a guitar amp - "ELECTRIC SPAM-JO". This is NOT a tall tale - it's a fact!

Nela

Nela,

We have a member here sometimes " Doncorleone! He is Samoan. Must be busy with his horses

as he hasnt been here for a while.. He  linked me some stuff about his homeplace back a while now.   

Sielo", You will need some strings, a broom handle,

large box or bucket for sound  effects. This sounds a lot like your Spamjo!!

Now Nella if your taking the , #### out of this Old Doll,   May heaven be your bed" because i have a

nice warm spot for ya.  "Buried in A bog in the West of Ireland":lol:

Old Doll.

You can either take my word on the spam-jo or not. The one we have just happens to be made using a spam can. They are made from all types of cans or boxes. I guess it could be called anything related to the type of can used as a "sound chamber". There was even a fiddle made from a cigar box.

Nela

Nela,

I do believe you, Dont be getting yourself all stressed now !!. lol

The Emerald Greets You.

Slán

Old Doll.

try searching out cigar box guitar. there are alot of links on that and some of them have the spam-jo.