Topic: Tips for playing without picks (warning mp3 link if you dare)

Hi, you helpful people!

I've finally managed to record myself via Garageband (the easiest software on the planet).  Anywhoo, I'm working on playing with my fingers because:

a) the silk and steel strings sound horrid with a pick (IMHO)
b) I like the control and fullness I can get with fingerstyle.

BUT

I need to figure out how to "control" it... I am lousy with my rythym...  Here's a clip; please be gentle!!

http://mp3space.com/file/60001/deb1

or

http://mp3space.com/stream.php?id=60001

Thanks in advance!

-debs-

Re: Tips for playing without picks (warning mp3 link if you dare)

well Im going to give you my honest assesment the second link was a tad brutal no thats to kind aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggggg!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

ROFL!

Thank you!!!  I know it was awful.... I'm so trying over here... what was the most horrid part; the production, or the playing?  (Yes, I realize it's like trying to choose which level of hell is the worst).  I'm old, and am realistic about my 6 mos old playing ability....

Thanks again!

Keep at it...I've heard (and done!) much worse. Have you tried Audacity? It's free and gives you a fair amount of production controls. I've been usimg it for about 6 mos. and love it. just an adapter for your phono plug (to 3.5mm) and a pc mic and you're off. If it feels fun don't give it up. You play for you not me or anyone else. If it makes you smile that's ALL that matters

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

the recording was distorted and the strumming uneven take geoaguiars advise I have the "audascity" program its free and it will do wonders for your recording and when you sound better to yourself it can only boost your confidence and improve your playing but to be realistic you need to keep up with lessons thats the fastest way to improve slow and steady and even tho the truth hurts sometimes in the long run its better not to bull#&$t yourself smile

JustDeb wrote:

ROFL!

Thank you!!!  I know it was awful.... I'm so trying over here... what was the most horrid part; the production, or the playing?  (Yes, I realize it's like trying to choose which level of hell is the worst).  I'm old, and am realistic about my 6 mos old playing ability....

Thanks again!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi just deb,I did not go too the sitetoo see you,but give yourself a break you have only been playing six months.thats nothing you will get better. I dont use a pick,I dont like them.I think picking with seprate fingers makes you a better player. Mark Knoffler of Dire straits does not use a pick,and hes one of this best guitarist there is.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

7 (edited by arkady 2008-05-18 08:20:47)

Hey JustDeb
First don't beat yourself up about it we all started somewhere.
Sounds to me like your using an open mic here to record? Not the best way of getting your guitar track down lots of background noise and such.
Even the best guitarist down sound so hot through an open mic recorded.
If you got an electro acoustic then find some way to plug your guitar directly into the PC.
The Audacity program is good I've used it alot on all my songs and is free to download.
Your playing is ok for a newbie finding there way just gotta work on it.
Good Luck
Ark

Thanks so much to all!!

Yes, it was an open mic---- I was dinking about with a Mac Book/Garageband and realized that it had a built in mic.  I was just amazed that I could figure out how to record, rip from cda to mp3 and upload!   So that does explain the "hot" sound (thanks for the terminology).

I do have an electro/acoustic; working on getting a firewire interface to go from the guitar to the computer; that way I can use the software from the computer and the interface to control the levels.

As far as the playing (?); thanks again.  I was talking to some other pals, and they suggested a metronome.  I'm in agreement, and will be off to find one today. 

Oh, and trust, Russell, I've been playing music (violin, etc) since I was 12 so I have absolutely no delusions about how horrid that was---<grin>

Thank you all again; this is why I'm here----to LEARN!

Hi Justdeb,

By whose standard do you live ? Take a wee bit of advice from me. Love yourself, not in an arrogant way.
But you and all you do. Some people are sensitive enough to be vunerable.

6 MONTHS!. Well, you did fine. If you love what you do keep doing it. It will improve. You will get great tips here
from the Chordians. My own brother is in the music business many years. We  laugh now at some of his earlier stuff.

But he kept doing it over many years. He is still improving Godbless him, and You.

Happy Sunday to You. lol

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I think that Russell is being honest with you,but on the Bright side you are changing chord progressions pretty well and If you get a chance to play with others you will get your timing and strumming down and  will become better and the big thing is you want to be better,Don't give up as most others do.
    I think a survey should be done on how many begin and how many stick with it.

Good Luck ,Wayne P

Later, Wayne P