Topic: RX for fingers

Hey, I just started learning to play accoustic a few weeks ago and my fingers are killing me. I think I'm developing a blister on the tip of my index finger. Any suggestions for remedies or preventitive measures? Does tapping or bandaging your fingers before you play help at all? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Ash

Re: RX for fingers

Whoops. "Tapping" should be "taping." My bad.

Hi ashisu84
In my experience there very little you can do. Blisters and pain is all part of the journey my friend.
People will give you advice but it all comes down to sticking at it.
It does get better and you will get your callouses and the journey continues.
Just grin and bear it.....:) and welcome to Chordie
Ark

Just like arkady said - except you could go to a lighter guage string. Just remember, those blisters WILL turn into callouses one day.

Nela

You want callouses.  Blisters are the quickest route there.  Good luck.  Suffer through and keep playing.  There's a lot of "home remedies", but there's no cure. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

This is my TURF ZURF (sooooorryyyy).
ASHISU84 I think it went all wrong having problems with your fingers, because you PRACTISED TOO MUCH.
The only suggestion I make is = stop playing a while. How long, it depends on a fast/slow healing.
Blisters gone, no longer very sensitive skin:
- START PLAYING AGAIN
- DON'T TORTURE YOURSELF means
- STOP when you start feeling the "BEGINNING" of pain, SO NEVER TRY TO BEAT YOUR BODY.
- If you have a red and painful skin caused by lying in the sun, will you still (having a very sensitive skin caused by the sun) lay in the sun the next day?
PREVENTION, better to play 4x15 minutes in stead of 60 minutes

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

HI ashisu84,the doc is right.One thing you might do AFTER you heal is keep your hands and fingers out of water,dont do dishes etc,just the usual shower and hand washing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Silk n steel strings.
Trust me.

gitaardocphil wrote:

This is my TURF ZURF (sooooorryyyy).

Oh sure, like you can trust a doctor.   big_smile

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm taking a break to let my fingers heal. I actually do have silk n' steel strings, JustDeb, but thanks. I tried taping my fingers the other day which I think prevented some wear and tear, but it was a lot harder to finger the chords properly. I'll let y'all know how it goes and if my hands get any better. Thanks again!!

Hi Ashisu,

I have been playing the guitar for 6 months now.  I know what you are going through, but you will have to make the tips of your fingers tough.  I remember how mine felt when I started.  Also, you might want to try liquid bandaid.  It helps and you can buy it at the Walmart or any other store.  It is where the bandages and ointments are.  The liquid bandaid makes the tips of your fingers hard and it helps some with suffering through it when you put it on.  Anyway, good luck!!!!

Tare them up. The more callous the better and longer you can play. I could probably dip the tips of my fingers in Acid and still play Greensleeves classical. Peace ,  3CF

Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
Henry Van Dyke

I agree with CF...Rip them up....No pain no gain. Play after showering or washing dishes when your tips are the softest that'll get 'em tough

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Some say  change chord patterns  maybe  D or C or G that way you get a good cover...Limit practice to 2 hours ..........1hr each....1 hr in AM and 1 hr in PM...enjoy.  You gotta be tuff if yer gunna make it.  cool

The richest child is poor without music.!  smile  cool

I play every day since I started 3 months ago. My fingers still are a bit sore and my middle finger is black on the tip.  It's one mean callous.  I hoping the pain with stop or maybe my guitar is tough to play. It ain't now Martin or Taylor!

mainecanoe wrote:

I play every day since I started 3 months ago. My fingers still are a bit sore and my middle finger is black on the tip.  It's one mean callous.  I hoping the pain with stop or maybe my guitar is tough to play. It ain't now Martin or Taylor!

Hi! When i started to play a lot i got a small bottle of metholated spirits and dipped my fingers in it when they started to get  sore. Give it a try it will help;

Hey all! My fingers are healing pretty well. You guys have some awesome suggestions. I'm definately going to experiment a bit and see what works best for me. Thank you soooo much for the help. My digits are eternally grateful! Much love!