Topic: WHAT SONG YOU WANT TO BE PLAYED ON YOUR FUNERAL

THIS IS A STRANGE TOPIC. The day after my car crash in 2000, I had the same age as my father when he passed away. And even stranger is the ideas and questions you have, like HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL COME TO MY FUNERAL? When my dad was gone, there were more people outside than inside the church.

Isn't it strange: WE ARE BORN TO DIE. This is the ONLY thing that's certain.
What are we doing here because you'll die anyway.

Will we come back?
I BELIEVE IN REINCARNATION.
For those who believe there is NOTHING and if this is true, I will become a burglar, and steal a fortune, I won't be judged if there is nothing. No more philosophy.

This topic is written inspired by my mother who insists (almost 78 years) that on her funeral she want some great music (= Canon of Pachelbel, Ave Maria by SCHUBERT or BACH-GOUNOD, you need to know your classics!) followed by a festivity, in the best restaurant, and have fun.
Well, on my funeral the same thing. REMEMBER who I was, and please don't cry. I wasted already 4 lives. Still STANDING.
- EASY?
- DIFFICULT? the emotions will be there and it is a relieve if you do what she asked.

MUSIC ON MY FUNERAL? THIS IS A LIST OF SONGS I WOULD LOVE TO BE PLAYED.
1) KNOCKIN' ON HEAVEN'S DOOR (He won't let me in anyway)
2) DON'T DREAM IS OVER by Crowded House a GREAT song.
3) WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER
4) THE SHOW MUST GO ON both by QUEEN
5) LET IT BE by the BEATLES.
6) DESPERADO by the EAGLES.
7) UNCHAINED MELODY by the RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS
THERE IS AN IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE IN CHOOSING SONGS, Europe versus UK versus USA
Highway to Hell is very high ranked as is Stairway to heaven
GIVE ME YOUR LIST it isn't difficult.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: WHAT SONG YOU WANT TO BE PLAYED ON YOUR FUNERAL

Hi Lieven,

I have said for many years that there only one song that I wish to be played at my funeral. It is, in fact a hymn, and not a pop song and really is not a funeral song at all, but it has always been my favourite hymn and it suits my romantic nature -  "When A Knight Won His Spurs". For those who do not know this one here is link to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue9-gGQqVPM

As I like this so much it is my intention to record it so that I can sing it along with everyone else at my funeral, all Chordians will be invited of course but I hope it will not be for many years yet. lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

3 (edited by gitaardocphil 2008-05-25 06:46:07)

I hope you like this thread, on a day we all go.
I forgot 2 very IMPORTANT songs
- DON'T FORGET TO REMEMBER ME by the Bee Gees
- INTO TEMPTATION again Crowded House
Crowded house is definitely one of the greatest bands, often compared with the Beatles concerning some numbers.
BUT THIS GIVES ME 9 SONGS, and that's a maximum, or play a "compilation" 90 seconds for every song.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

My pick is Sunday Morning Ascension by Harry Manx!

I always liked Elton John's "Funeral for a Friend" for this purpose.

a buddy of mine recently mentioned "Into the West" by Annie Lennox as his pick (from the Lord of the Rings), which I think is also very good.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

And When I Die by Blood Sweat & Tears

Amazing Grace - any version.  Except the Scots bagpipe version.  I love the sound of that, but I want the lyrics sung.

Hard Working Pilgrim - bluegrass standard, can't recall who wrote it

Unchained - Johnny Cash performed it on his album of that name.  Songwriter is Jude Johnstone.  "Take this weight from me, let my spirit be unchained." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

this is the end the doors its so long people will want to get the hell out and find somthing fun to do lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

8 (edited by arkady 2008-05-22 21:23:56)

I think I'll have some of my own songs played.
It sorta like a captured audience and no one's going to say that one was real cra.....  well not there anyway lol
I only hope that can I look down or up and see the reaction....
Ark

Take This Job and Shove It by David Allan Coe

Goodbye Blue Sky by Pink Floyd

Jessica by The Allman Brothers

Life Without You by Stevie Ray Vaughan

Keep On Smiling by Wet Willie

Give everything but up.

well as I go through into the big raging fire to get burnt to a crisp in my cardboard box I am wanting a karaeoke at my cremation.
As I disapear I want a big screen wit hthe words and music for

everybody hurts

followed by freebird

then not with anyone singing as they walk out the door i want pink floyd's

"Goodbye cruel world"

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Blowin in the Wind, Magee's Farm by Dylan,  Swing Low Sweet Caddalic by Matt Minglewood , Working Man by Rita
MacNiel, and The Dark Island a traditional bagpipe tune.
Hopefully that will be a while yet, still more kitchen jamming
to be done.

Badeye... cool

one caper after another

At Graham Chapman's funeral, the other members of Monty Python led the mourners in "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" from Life of Brian.  Something like that would be way cool.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

I don't really want a formal funeral - just a really good party/wake as a chance for friends to get together and celebrate my life (not mourn my death).

I would want one of my own songs performed by friends:
"My Last Refrain"
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1226

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

I know I'm a little young to be thinking about this, but here are my choices...I'm kinda like James McCormick, just a party, no funeral, but just a small memorial also.

first the sad numbers.
Simple Man (originally by Lynyrd Skynyrd, but I want the Shinedown cover played)
The Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix
Seize the Day - Avenged Sevenfold
The Road and the Damned - Coheed and Cambria
Solitude - Candlemass
Weballergy - Sonata Arctica
and finally, the theme song to my life
Born to Raise Hell - Motorhead

I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab for Cutie

and then "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" from the Beatle's White Album (not because it has any significance or death theme but it's a great song you can't help tap you foot to. I'd like to be able to look on and see everyone trying to resist enjoying it because of the nature of funerals.)

The drag me out to War Pigs by Black Sabbath (again just because it's cool)

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

In My Life - The Beatles

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

Live Forever- Oasis
or
Wake The Dead- The Used

i imagine that would get a few laughs smile

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

I'd prefer a New Orleans style funeral,  "When the Saints go Marching In"  started as a slow mornful dirge,  at the mid section of the song the band switches to a fast joyful dance beat,  and the party begins.

Hard question. I think I would like american pie, My sweet lord,or What a wonderfull world. Since we are on the subject I have heard that wakes began in Ireland,as some of the people got so drunk they appered too be dead,so other people would observe them for a time too see if they would wake up.has anyone else heard about this?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

another one bites the dust.....thats my pic...lol