Topic: what strings? does it matter

Hi all, i`ve not long been playing and am looking to get some spare strings for my fender strat , the question is does it matter at my level what i get ? i like blues and jazz so do certain strings give a different sound?

Re: what strings? does it matter

Unlike an acoustic guitar, the sound from an electric is controlled mainly from the type of pick-ups, the position on the pick-ups, the amplifier, the settings on the amplifier and effects pedals so the actual strings have little effect. So for electric I suggest you use what suits you, light gauge strings will be better for bending and easier on the fingers. An acoustic however is a completely different ball game and the strings will have a big effect on the quality of the sound.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks Roger

If you are going to do more blues, I would suggest at least a .010 guage (regular wound).  Now, if you're going to do more jazz (ie. less bending with more jazz chords), I would suggest an .011 guage (flat wound.) 

I have a flat wound .011 on my arch top hollow electric, and it's sounds very jazzy!  I can still bend it too.  Some professionals use .0115 or even a .012!

Good luck!

ruffdog64 wrote:

Hi all, i`ve not long been playing and am looking to get some spare strings for my fender strat , the question is does it matter at my level what i get ? i like blues and jazz so do certain strings give a different sound?

5 (edited by cytania 2008-06-01 07:51:57)

Strings do make a difference to sound but not enough so that we can recommend a particular brand for jazz or a particular brand for blues. Blues and jazz players tend to use a heavy gauge string to get a big mellow sound but there are several reasons not to emulate this;

1) Heavy gauge strings are real hard on the fingers. Some will tell you this builds finger strength but I reckon that's like your gym teacher saying press-ups are character building.

2) Jumping up several gauges needs the intonation adjusting, maybe the action as well and on some guitars it may strain and bow the neck needing truss rod relief adjustment!

You can get a jazz blues sound simply by working your guitar controls. Try this;

1) Turn the volume to zero and the tone full up (most trebly).

2) Turn your amp full up, strike a guitar string normally and then raise the guitar volume knob until you first hear it ring. You now have the 'bit-point', keeping in this position gives an expressive sensitivity. It varies by amp and guitar but there's always a bite-point.

3) Let some strings ring and roll off the tone knob. You'll hear the sound get less trebley. There's a point where the sound suddenly goes muddy. Find this and then rise a bit away from this. It should be mellow without being mushy. Perfect for jazz/blues.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

i suppose it is a matter of personal opinion but ernie ball regular slinky has been doin me pretty good for a couple of years now.10-46.

yesterday is the past
tomorrow a dream
today you find out
what is best left unseen