Topic: Was this a good trade?

I realized today that I had two guitars I wasn't playing, my Schecter Hellraiser and my Takamine G series ... I figured instead of letting them sit on my wall I might go see about taking them to a pawn shop to see what I could get for them, and then use that money to buy a guitar I really enjoyed playing (PRS SE Custom)

Both of my guitars were in GREAT shape and both pawn shops said they could only give me $420 which I thought was insane ... I went to the GuitarCenter and spoke to the guy I usually deal with and asked him if he could give me a deal, both of these guitars for the PRS Custom that I liked ... he went and talked to his manager and they said sure, no problem

Now I know in the long run I lost some $$$ as the Schecter retails for around $800 and the Takamine for $499 ... but I figured why have them sitting around when I could get a guitar I really enjoyed? 

I already have my Gibson LP, which I love ... my other Schecter for my heavier metal stuff ... and the PRS comes inbetween those two guitars and I absolutely love it

I was wondering what you guys think ... if you've ever parted with a guitar(s) in order to get one you really wanted?

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Re: Was this a good trade?

Two you didn't play for one you did is a good deal, always.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I'll second that!  Unused instruments are no fun unless you're just into collecting stuff.  Much better to have something that you get some real use out of . . .

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hi Mate Yehhhhhhhhhhhh gud deal

I Can Play And Thats Ture  (- -)
                                           -
                                         /--/

Sweet thnx guys ... I had the same thinking ... like I told the guys at Guitar Center, I didnt want to see it sitting around in the house not getting played, not to mention sitting in a pawn shop ... at least with it being back in the store, I know it'll get sold and someone will enjoy it smile

6 (edited by ozymandias 2008-05-30 14:46:40)

Tim0473 wrote:

Sweet thnx guys ... I had the same thinking ... like I told the guys at Guitar Center, I didnt want to see it sitting around in the house not getting played, not to mention sitting in a pawn shop ... at least with it being back in the store, I know it'll get sold and someone will enjoy it smile

Exactly, my first guitar was some 150 dollar cheapie that I gave to my daughter.  But, then my teacher found a nice quality guitar that was more her size and had a better sound.  And it was 180 dollars at a place called the "Vintage Fret Shop" in Ashland NH.  We went down to test play it and she loved it from the moment she strummed her first chord on it. 

My old cheapie was given to the Mountain Top Music Center school to be given away to someone who is starting out and can't afford to buy one yet.  I agree with the sentiment about giving it away for future use rather than keep it around gathering dust.

So I agree.............a good deal!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

You did good.

I have a rule for myself.  It is not acceptable to sell an instrument.  Either give them away or trade them, but never sell them.  You followed my rule and didn't even know it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I think id have to disagree you cant eat a guitar for supper and the landlord only wants his money for rent sad to say there have been several times in my life i had to make that choice any instrument is only a material object and can be replaced but the day to day demands of a material world need to be attended to tough choices sometimes present themselves when you are not prepaired to fend them off i can always get another guitar and even if its a cheap sub standard ax i will still make it sing like a nightingale because what i possess inside is not  material its my soul

Zurf wrote:

You did good.

I have a rule for myself.  It is not acceptable to sell an instrument.  Either give them away or trade them, but never sell them.  You followed my rule and didn't even know it. 

- Zurf

"Growing old is not for sissies"

punctuation-the act , practice, or system of inserting standardized marks in written matter to clarify the meaning and seperate structural units.

Just thought I'd throw this in here.....................

Give everything but up.

Zurf wrote:

You did good.

- Zurf

I like your way of thinking. There must be something in the water of S.W. Virginia.

Give everything but up.

Russell_Harding wrote:

I think id have to disagree you cant eat a guitar for supper and the landlord only wants his money for rent sad to say there have been several times in my life i had to make that choice any instrument is only a material object and can be replaced but the day to day demands of a material world need to be attended to tough choices sometimes present themselves when you are not prepaired to fend them off i can always get another guitar and even if its a cheap sub standard ax i will still make it sing like a nightingale because what i possess inside is not  material its my soul

Zurf wrote:

You did good.

- Zurf

You aren't me.  I said I have a rule for myself.  It's understood that you have to make decisions for yourself based on your own circumstances. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

zurf your right im not you and I like your rule I was only speaking for myself we mutants pride ourselves on rules and the first rule is play the snot out of a B chord smile

Thanks Zurf and everyone ... now that I think about it Ozy, I would have loved to have donated the acoustic to someone who couldn't afford a guitar ... I'll keep that in mind next time smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

the first rule is play the snot out of a B chord smile

LOL!  Now that was just mean.  You know that I am allergic to the B chord. 

- Zurf

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I like your way of thinking. There must be something in the water of S.W. Virginia.

There is something about that water for certain.  Wish I could be on it a whole lot more often.  What's in it are beaucoup smallmouth bass of generous size and irritable disposition. 

- Zurf

Tim0473 wrote:

Thanks Zurf and everyone ... now that I think about it Ozy, I would have loved to have donated the acoustic to someone who couldn't afford a guitar ... I'll keep that in mind next time smile

Whatever works for each of us is valid.  Russell_Harding also makes a valid point for that particular circumstance.  I'm lucky in that I can afford a good guitar.  Some of us are scraping by and have different needs.  My point, it's the music in all of us thats important and whatever instrument we use to express it, is good.  We still have the cheap, beat up old Sears Silvertone that is worthless money wise, but, it was the instrument that my daughter picked up as a child and showed us she had a skill and musical soul.  It's cracked, and the Fret shop said it would cost more to repair than it was worth, but, it still has a decent sound and it was a gift to my daughter from her grandparents.  I:E, priceless.  My original cheapie was ok to start with and showed me that I was in it for the long haul.  So it deserved to be passed on to another person exploring their guitar dream.  I have no idea who has it, but, I feel good that it's maybe showing the way for another musical soul!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Zurf wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

the first rule is play the snot out of a B chord smile

LOL!  Now that was just mean.  You know that I am allergic to the B chord. 

- Zurf

I am determined to beat my allergy to the B chord and it's siblings!  lol 

Peace

I still think you did a good deal you prop saw nuddy girls in the pawn shop?? LOL!!!! yeahhhhhh its a sweet deal!!

-
                                         /--/

I CAN(T) DO B CORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
                                         /--/

I love B chords kind of like eating wheaties they build up your strength, I play a 5 fret major 7th and I owe it all to the B chord veddy goot smile

murasame wrote:

I CAN(T) DO B CORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My teacher is getting me into some Beatles songs (that I like) that are big with B chords.  I am going to follow the suggestions I heard here about trying new songs with different arrangements/chords to build up my own confidence and skill.

murasame wrote:

I CAN(T)

I do not know what this means, nor should you.............

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:
murasame wrote:

I CAN(T)

I do not know what this means, nor should you.............

Full thumbs up on that.

What he really means is I WON(T).

And that is an entirely different problem.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

24 (edited by arkady 2008-05-31 07:53:44)

To "B" or not to "B" that is a Chordie question. smile
Horses for courses and life without "B" is liveable just transpose.
It's all down to the individual and what he wants to do with his guitar.
I suppose as with Barres this question will rumble on.................
Isn't CHORD ie  just Great. wink

Ark