Topic: Fretboard radius?

What does the fretboard radius of a guitar mean?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Fretboard radius?

never heard the term fretboard radius a radius is associated with a circle it is the distance from the circumference to the diameter at the center of the circle

"Growing old is not for sissies"

It is the measure of the arc of the fretboard.  If you were to continue that arc and make a circle, it would be the radius of that circle. 

roll <------ This is there because my daughter likes it.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

LOL jerome, I can think of no better reason!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thank you jerome I learn something new every day smile

jerome.oneil wrote:

It is the measure of the arc of the fretboard.  If you were to continue that arc and make a circle, it would be the radius of that circle. 

"Growing old is not for sissies"

HI SC, you might think your guitar's fingerboard was flat but this is rarely the case. Flat would be a radius of infinity ;-)

In reality it's more comfortable for a fingerboard to have a slight curve. Checkout some jazz guitars and you'll see they curve alot, almost like the camber on a road. These will have a small radius. Some players claim this makes for faster playing but frankly it's a personal preference.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

06sc500 wrote:

What does the fretboard radius of a guitar mean?

06sc500,

The fret board radius also corralates to the radius of how your bridge and or trem unit will be set up, Fender standard raduis is usually 9.5 deg. radius for the most part (alot of the older strats had the 7.5" radius) and the Gibson LP has a radius of 12 deg radius.. The t-o-m bridges can have the radius's changed but that involves buying new saddles and recutting the string grooves to change them, as a standard they are all 12 deg. radius. As mentioned by Cytania you either get what the guitar came with or you have a neck made to suit you preference. Their also necks with a combo radius they start off at 10 degree and end up at 16 deg.

Good Luck.

Bootlegger.